Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-17-2016, 12:10 PM   #1
WaterAndWindSpirit

Default DR, bare handed parry and disarm

Hello all!

So let's suppose I have a character with Damage Resistance (maybe they're a BoS Paladin in Fallout and as such wear Power Armor, maybe she's a Magical Girl with incredible toughness, maybe they're a superhero, whatever the source is, they are very tough). They are facing a thug armed with a melee weapon, and they want to protect people who are not as tough as them by disarming their opponent. So the move they want to make is to grab the sword and use the Karate skill for a disarm.

Would I be justified in allowing them a parry at no penalty, applying all the damage from the attack to the hand they use for parrying on a success (applying DR of course, allowing for any miscalculation to actually get them hurt, or for their DR to soak the hit if they calculated their move right or are very lucky), then allowing to use a Disarm attack with a bonus on their next turn due to such a move being unexpected?
WaterAndWindSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 12:22 PM   #2
Expy

Default Re: DR, bare handed parry and disarm

IDHMBWM, but I believe that there are rules for a cinematic 'hand-catch parry' technique in GURPS: Martial Arts that doesn't inflict damage to the hand unless on a failure; your method works great for a (relatively) unskilled fighter or a fighter with high DR as you said, but more fragile kung fu masters will no doubt argue for a version that wouldn't inflict damage :) I'd say it's worth a look.

Expy.
Expy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 12:24 PM   #3
Harald387

See 'Hand Catch' and 'Hand-Clap Parry' from GURPS Martial Arts p.84.
Harald387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 04:35 PM   #4
jason taylor

That actually happened at the end of Rob Roy. However the heroes hand was obviously cut up until it would be at best semi functional afterwords. It did it's job though, as the fight was over in the next blow.
Old 03-17-2016, 04:44 PM   #5
Anthony

It is generally best to buy limb Strikers for cinematic bar handed fighters, since that makes them ignore all the rules about being bare handed.
Old 03-18-2016, 06:37 AM   #6
WaterAndWindSpirit

I'm not looking for Cinematic stuff, I'm asking for a realistic (relatively speaking, that is how it would "realistically" work if I made one very specific break from reality but kept the rest of reality unchanged) way of treating a super tough (that is high DR) character grabbing a blade and disarming an enemy this way. Thanks for your understanding.
WaterAndWindSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 06:39 AM   #7
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Are you willing to explore Technical Grappling?
DouglasCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 07:15 AM   #8
Varyon

Presumably, the current rules reflect someone being extremely cautious when trying to Parry armed attacks bare-handed. It should be possible to ignore such caution and simply take the damage to your arms. I'd say this negates the -3 to Parry unarmed but means you need MoS 6 or better to actually avoid damage - otherwise, your arms take damage. A more in-depth version allows you to take -1 to Parry to reduce the required MoS by 2, down to a minimum of -3 to Parry and requiring MoS 0. So, for a character with Parry 12, he can roll against 12, in which case he needs to roll a 6 or lower to avoid damage; roll against 11, for 7- to avoid damage; roll against 10, for 8- to avoid damage; or roll against 9, where any success avoids damage.
Varyon is online now   Reply With Quote