Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars > Car Wars Old Editions

Old 04-07-2020, 11:14 AM   #1
Topgunk

Default Skill Point/Prestige Question

Hi,

Under the general skill point rewards, when a character wins an arena event does he get the +3 for winning the event and the +1 for surviving or just the +3 reward ? And after winning an event under the prestige scoring would a character receive the +2 for winning the event and the +1 for entering combat?

Thanks
Topgunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 11:49 AM   #2
Chernobyl

Default Re: Skill Point/Prestige Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topgunk View Post
Hi,

Under the general skill point rewards, when a character wins an arena event does he get the +3 for winning the event and the +1 for surviving or just the +3 reward ? And after winning an event under the prestige scoring would a character receive the +2 for winning the event and the +1 for entering combat?

Thanks
I think they stack...with Gold Cross no reason a corpse could not possibly be the winner of an event :) would make for great media interviews

"So, Bandit, tell us about your big win last weekend and the Hammer Downs Division 20 invitational?"
"My what?"
Chernobyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 01:10 PM   #3
juris

I'd agree with this but clarify that this would only apply to "points" arenas not last man standing arenas. Points are much better and encourage people to shoot each other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chernobyl View Post
I think they stack...with Gold Cross no reason a corpse could not possibly be the winner of an event :) would make for great media interviews

"So, Bandit, tell us about your big win last weekend and the Hammer Downs Division 20 invitational?"
"My what?"
juris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 02:01 PM   #4
43Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by juris View Post
I'd agree with this but clarify that this would only apply to "points" arenas not last man standing arenas.
Why wouldn't it apply to "last man standing" events? "Prestige", at least as I understood it, was "who's getting mentioned in the news reports", and thus has "recognition" from the Ordinary Folk.

For ex.: The bonus for "attacking with hand weapons while outside a vehicle" -- that makes for some Really Nifty Newsreel Footage, which the viewers will remember. Same for the penalty accrued from "abandoning a working vehicle" -- people remember the negative as well as the positive. (Tho' now I wonder: if one gets out of a working vehicle, then attacks with hand weapons, do the two cancel out? :) )

79er

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 06:29 AM   #5
swordtart

Yes, they stack.

I've never been in a last man standing and people not shoot at each other. Maybe it's the ethic we applied. Anyone avoiding the fight generally attracted the most fire as they were "cheatin' cowardly scum". You had to get everyone eventually and generally no-one wanted to come up against someone with fresh armour in the end-game (especially if you could encourage them to escape before then).

1st rule of armed races, kill everyone on the first lap and then just dodge the corpses ;)

Conversely the ones where you could win whilst someone else survived meant you got lurkers outside the main fight planning on getting through on checkpoints.

Am I misunderstanding something?
swordtart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 12:03 PM   #6
juris

That's certainly how our 'races' always turned out, but it does kinda miss the point of racing ;)

I just meant if the winner of the event was the last man standing you could never have someone be killed and win the event anyway. But a points arena you absolutely could.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swordtart View Post

1st rule of armed races, kill everyone on the first lap and then just dodge the corpses ;)

Am I misunderstanding something?
juris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 01:55 PM   #7
43Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by juris View Post
That's certainly how our 'races' always turned out, but it does kinda miss the point of racing ;)
Part of why my old group:

1) Restricted what weapons were allowed (no more than 6 pts. damage per shot fired -- and that included "continuing damage", like Fire), and in what number (1 sp. per $15K budget, rounded *down* -- so hand weapons only in D5 and 10), and;

2) Prohibited gunfire on Lap 1 ("bump-and-run" was allowed... >:) ).

We actually had races which lasted more than two laps.

79er

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote