Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-23-2015, 07:37 AM   #1
Pimpćo

Default Bow Prices

Hello, guys!

I“m a new GM, and I have a PC who bought a Regular Bow (ST 10) for $100, but what if he wants to buy another Regular Bow, say ST 12, how much it would cost? Is there any price multiplier or any other rules?

( sorry if this is a stupid question :) )
Pimpćo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 07:42 AM   #2
Minuteman37

Default Re: Bow Prices

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimpćo View Post
Hello, guys!

I“m a new GM, and I have a PC who bought a Regular Bow (ST 10) for $100, but what if he wants to buy another Regular Bow, say ST 12, how much it would cost? Is there any price multiplier or any other rules?

( sorry if this is a stupid question :) )
I don't think so... at least according to the book that is. It seems pretty reasonable for the bow maker to charge an additional fee for having to make a bow with an unusually high ST rating, but that's has more to do with the inconvenience involved on his part than actuarial labor or resource cost.
Minuteman37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 07:57 AM   #3
Pimpćo

Yeah, I agree, but I“m thinking more game-wise.

I mean, since the damage roll is based on the strengh of the bow itself and not the character“s, why would one buy a ST10 bow for $100 if he can buy a ST15 bow for the same price?

Going even further, a regular character with ST10, could buy a ST20 Regular Bow for $100 (dealing 2d imp damage) right at the beggining of a TL3 campaign.
Old 12-23-2015, 08:05 AM   #4
brianfb

There is a perk (strong bow) that allows you to use a bow 2 points stronger than your actual strength, but i am unaware of any way for an ST10 archer to use a bow with a pull set for ST20.
Old 12-23-2015, 08:18 AM   #5
Pimpćo

So, I“m missing something, sorry. I thought that you only needed ST10 to use any Regular Bow, be it a ST7, ST10 or ST15.

So, the basic rule is that you need to be as strong as or stronger than the bow you“re using? That being said, if a ST10 archer wants to deal more damage with the bow, he needs to buy 1ST (10 cp) and a new bow (ST11, $100). Is that right?
Old 12-23-2015, 08:23 AM   #6
munin

Quote:
… I mean, since the damage roll is based on the strengh of the bow itself and not the character“s, why would one buy a ST10 bow for $100 if he can buy a ST15 bow for the same price? …
"If you try to use a weapon that requires more ST than you have, you will be at -1 to weapon skill per point of ST you lack and lose one extra FP at the end of any fight that lasts long enough to fatigue you." (p. B270)

RAW, bows cost what they cost no matter their rated ST. The Deadly Spring (Pyramid #3/33) provides more detailed rules for designing bows of different ST and the associated cost.
munin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 08:23 AM   #7
brianfb

Generally yes.

You can buy a crossbow at a higher ST, but it requires a goats foot to reload which takes alot of time to use.

You can buy the strong bow perk to use a bow that is 2 points higher than your ST.

You can buy a composite bow which does more base damage

You can take Weapon Master bow for an additional +2 to damage.

There are different arrow types that might help situationally, but I am unfamiliar with the specifics as I dont use them in my games yet.

Hope that helps.
Old 12-23-2015, 08:39 AM   #8
Anaraxes

Quote:
So, the basic rule is that you need to be as strong as or stronger than the bow you“re using?
That's the best option. The ST rating of the bow is its minimum ST as well as maximum, determining the damage that it does regardless of the user's ST.

The minimum ST rule on B270 applies to muscle-powered ranged weapons (Krommquote):

Quote:
Originally Posted by B270
If you try to use a weapon that requires more ST than you have, you will be at -1 to weapon skill per point of ST you lack and lose one extra FP at the end of any fight that lasts long enough to fatigue you.
Later,
Quote:
Originally Posted by B270
Crossbows and ST: Bows, crossbows, and prodds have their own ST value. Use this instead of your ST to determine range and damage. You must specify the ST of such a weapon when you buy it. You can always use a weapon that is weaker than you. You can use a stronger crossbow or prodd; it does more damage but take longer to cock (see Shots, above). You cannot use a stronger bow.
So if you have a way to cock your BFC 9000, like a stronger friend or mechanical aid, you can fire it at a skill penalty. But you can't manage to draw a self-bow stronger than you are, at least in the usual fashion.

If you're desperate, you can use Extra Effort to draw a bow stronger than you are. (See B357.) This is both tiring and risky, probably not something to plan on doing routinely in combat.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 08:40 AM   #9
brianfb

Quote:
Originally Posted by munin View Post
"If you try to use a weapon that requires more ST than you have, you will be at -1 to weapon skill per point of ST you lack and lose one extra FP at the end of any fight that lasts long enough to fatigue you." (p. B270)

RAW, bows cost what they cost no matter their rated ST. The Deadly Spring (Pyramid #3/33) provides more detailed rules for designing bows of different ST and the associated cost.
This is incorrect. B270 very clearly states you cannot use a bow with a higher rating than your ST.
Old 12-23-2015, 08:45 AM   #10
whswhs

Quote:
So, I“m missing something, sorry. I thought that you only needed ST10 to use any Regular Bow, be it a ST7, ST10 or ST15.

So, the basic rule is that you need to be as strong as or stronger than the bow you“re using? That being said, if a ST10 archer wants to deal more damage with the bow, he needs to buy 1ST (10 cp) and a new bow (ST11, $100). Is that right?
There are two different ST requirements.

The one in the Basic Set is the minimum ST to use ANY bow of a given type: every short bow requires ST 7, every composite bow requires ST 10, and so on. This is kind of analogous to minimum ST to use a shortsword, a broadsword, or a two-handed sword.

But then there's the rules for range, which is a multiple of the archer's ST, and damage, which is based on the archer's thr damage, which is based on their ST. An archer with ST 14, firing a shortbow, gets twice the range of an archer with ST 7.

The Basic Set rules more or less treat all shortbows as interchangeable, and assume that the ST 14 archer can use the very same shortbow as the ST 7 archer, the same way that the Basic Set rules let the same suit of armor fit the ST 7 guy and the ST 14 guy. But realistically, the way you get that double range is to fire a shortbow with proportionately higher draw weight; the ST 14 archer can't get any better range out of the ST 7 bow, and the ST 7 archer can't even draw the ST 14 bow. Bows have intrinsic ST ratings, just as crossbows do; the difference is that the crossbow can be drawn and then latched into the drawn position for a while, without relying on the crossbowman's ST to hold them. So crossbows can be built with greater draw weight than bows.

These two ST ratings are a bit confusing. But you need to sort them out.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bow, prices