Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-11-2020, 05:58 PM   #111
Varyon

Default Re: Star Wars Stormtroopers in Real Armor [Ultratech]

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptbutton View Post
Overacting. And of course, feigned retreat is a hard trick to make work.
Rewatching the scene, it looks like their (unmarked) squadleader gets blasted and they opt to, rather than get into a fight at close quarters, retreat to the nearby hangar bay, where there's a small army available to back them up. Honestly, this isn't a horrible idea in general, and also rather useful if they're indeed under orders not to actually kill anybody.
Old 08-11-2020, 07:46 PM   #112
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptbutton View Post
I still want to know how reinforcing a damaged but functioning legion with two squads was supposed to help enough justify violating security regulations.

(The ruse to get the shield generator door open.)
The lie to open the door was, "It's over, commander. The Rebels have been routed and they're fleeing into the woods. We need reinforcements to continue the pursuit."

Note this: "It's over. [They're] routed." That's a disorganized retreat; the extra men were meant to help them cover more ground before the allegedly defeated Rebels and their furry man-eating savage allies could regroup. And I recall the line being "Send three squads to help", not two, but that may just be my old age playing tricks on me.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 10:05 PM   #113
Rupert

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
Ewoks are probably TL0, so they are too primitive to have winches and pulleys.
A pulley is TL0, as at its simplest level it's just a rope thrown over a branch. Winches are TL1 (LTC3, p.17), and black and tackle TL2. I'm fine with Ewoks being TL1-2 with poor metalurgy, or TL0-1 with improved TL in rope work and basic building, etc. - they built large settlements in the trees with major rope and wood bridges, platforms, and walkways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Say, it isn't that bad! View Post
Edit: Also, the Ewoks had catapults; those catapults had rope. Ergo, Ewoks could make good rope.
I'd forgotten about those. They are a TL2 technology, so if they can build them they can manage block and tackle, etc.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 03:35 AM   #114
Prince Charon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
Rewatching the scene, it looks like their (unmarked) squadleader gets blasted and they opt to, rather than get into a fight at close quarters, retreat to the nearby hangar bay, where there's a small army available to back them up. Honestly, this isn't a horrible idea in general, and also rather useful if they're indeed under orders not to actually kill anybody.
IIRC, the hangar was Special Edition only, and the original theatrical release (which is the version that the Library of Congress wants, but last I heard had not gotten) had it that they ran into a dead end and turned around to find that Solo was alone. In at least one edition of the WEG Star Wars RPG, the scene was used as an example of bluffing in combat.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 04:51 AM   #115
Rupert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince Charon View Post
IIRC, the hangar was Special Edition only, and the original theatrical release (which is the version that the Library of Congress wants, but last I heard had not gotten) had it that they ran into a dead end and turned around to find that Solo was alone. In at least one edition of the WEG Star Wars RPG, the scene was used as an example of bluffing in combat.
In the novel, and in my recollection of the original, Solo charges them, they flee and he pursues. The troopers run into a dead-end and turn to make a last stand. Solo comes round the corner, sees them standing ready. They realise he's alone, he realise they realise he's alone and he runs, with them now pursuing him.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 11:14 PM   #116
Johnny1A.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Say, it isn't that bad! View Post
Overall, the greatest strength of the Force in the original series is in more "mystical" and subtle uses, rather than blatant displays of power.
Keep in mind that the power of the Force often shows itself indirectly. For example, the Empire itself is a manifestion of the dark side. Palpatine corrupted the already old-and-tired Republic into a malevolent despotism through the power of the Force, and holds that despotism together and drives it likewise. So the occupying ground forces and the informers and spies and the vast naval fleets and the Death Star itself are all manifestations of dark side power, Palpatine's power.
Old 08-16-2020, 11:47 PM   #117
AlexanderHowl

It should be noted that in the first movie the Empire wanted the group to escape from the Death Star because they wanted to be led to the Rebel base. I would not be surprised if the storntroopers were ordered to miss on purpose and any casualties were just seen as acceptable loses for the greater good. In the third movie, the Emperor deliberately used the second Death Star as a lure to mass the entire Rebel fleet into one place, so he could crush them once and for all. In both cases, it was hubris rather than incompetence that led to their downfall. Of course, nothing explains the Ewoks, though the movie is still the third best of the franchise, after the second and the first.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote