Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 08-08-2010, 11:11 AM   #1
JayRay

Default Playing Hostel Cards

I just played Munchkin for the first time at GenCon this past weekend and had a great time. As a result, I purchased the game and played a game with some friends right away. However, a question came up while playing that we weren't sure how to handle. Hopefully someone here can straighten it out.

One friend currently was level 8, went looking for trouble and brought out a monster he could easily defeat. He asked if we would be playing anything and we said we wouldn't since one point wouldn't let him win. We hadn't noticed, however that he had changed his class to Orc and, because he defeated the monster by more than 10 levels he would get a bonus point. Once he announced that two people wanted to play cards to buff the monster he was encountering, while the other two players thought that it was to late.

So my question from the above situation is, when new information is announced for the result of a fight can players react and play hostel cards to attempt to block the outcome?

I love the game and can't wait to play more, but I think this situation could come up a lot so I wanted to know the right way to handle it.
JayRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 11:48 AM   #2
Nakiro

Default Re: Playing Hostel Cards

Here's what the rules say about this.

"But note: someone may play a hostile card on you, or use a special power, just as you think you have won. When you kill a monster, you must wait a reasonable time, defined as about 2.6 seconds, for anyone else to speak up. After that, you have really killed the monster, and you really get the level(s) and treasure, though they can still whine and argue."

You never mention when you guys noticed that he switched to an Orc class.
Nakiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 11:50 AM   #3
morleydotes
Moderator Emeritus

Once he announced that he changed the formula of the combat, I would have allowed other players to play their cards. However, if he had not announced it, you lose.

In the spirit of the game, you let folks know that your changing races, while your doing it. IF they miss it, their problem. Once it's down you don't have to tell them what you are, you just can't hide it.

Pat
morleydotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 01:59 PM   #4
Genpin

That's a common problem with the Orc and the Cowboy with a steed (from "The Good the Bad and the Munchkin" core game) the "new" cards that change the winning conditions are normally forgotten by new players...
However, one cannot lie when asked "what amount of levels/treasures are you gaining from that combat?"
Genpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 02:41 PM   #5
Nerftw

That's why I like the "Declare that you're winning the game and give everyone a chance to respond" method. Simply saying "I beat the monster" and THEN declaring "I WIN!" after clearing all the cards from combat is pretty low.

As it stands, though, saying "I'm not going to stop you" isn't a binding condition if the terms of combat change, which they certainly did when the Orc card was remembered. Just like thinking you're losing and then remembering you have a bonus you forgot about. People should be given a chance to react to the "new" conditions, even if they were just forgotten about.
Nerftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 10:21 PM   #6
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

You should tell other players when you are changing your Class or Race (or any other pertinent information that might inform their decisions), since your Class and Race -- and any other cards in play -- are public information. Similarly, if someone asks what your abilities are, you're required to give them an honest and complete answer.

In this case, the stealth change of Race means that once the Orc player was required to give the rest of the group another chance to interfere in his fight, once they learned it was for the win.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 01:11 PM   #7
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

The OP means "Hostile", yes? Or is there some Munchkin slang here I'm not getting (Dungeons, maybe?)?
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 01:31 PM   #8
MunchkinMan

I assumed so, as well, as there aren't any dormitory style rental accommodations in Munchkin.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 04:09 PM   #9
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
The OP means "Hostile", yes? Or is there some Munchkin slang here I'm not getting (Dungeons, maybe?)?
Yes, I'm sure he did. Was there a reason you pointed to his error other than for your own amusement?

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 04:34 PM   #10
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hackard View Post
Yes, I'm sure he did. Was there a reason you pointed to his error other than for your own amusement?
In case there was some slang-ish thing I was missing. Perhaps there are certain cards that players refer to as "Hostel" cards for some reason. He makes the mistake consistently in the OP which makes it seem deliberate. Someone even tagged the thread "hostel cards". It could be similar to the use of the word "tap" to describe placing items in your pack, for instance.

My apologies if I gave offense.

Last edited by sir_pudding; 08-09-2010 at 05:21 PM.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2.6 second rule, hostel cards, hostile cards, noob, play order, reaction