Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 09-17-2018, 07:08 PM   #11
Desert Scribe

Default Re: COMMAND POSTS in OGRE...

I've run games where the loss of the CP means no more combining fire (Ogres and infantry platoons excepted). I can justify it in-game by saying that the electronic battlefield is so cluttered with jammers, EMC drones, etc. that it takes a command post to punch through and coordinate attacks.
Old 09-17-2018, 08:37 PM   #12
Tim Kauffman

Sorry, I should have been more specific about the battlefield...it's my SHELL SHOCK Scenario.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/128248...57695327406850

The terrain of rubble and town thematically represents terrain that uses the rules for those terrain types, but is much worse. Town is not really town but terrain that is worse than rubble. Rubble is not rubbled town, but "rough" terrain. So treacherous, even OGREs could not operate in it.
Thus, a road network was specially made for the Mobile Howitzers by Engineers made of "quicksetBPC" (handwavium name). Other units were tried on the road network such as Missile Tanks and Superheavies, even OGREs, but to leverage the most effective attacks against the enemy in this sort of treacherous terrain only Infantry and Mobile Howitzers operating on the road network with Howitzers further back achieved the best results. The Mobile and Howitzers long range used together with the Infantry's ability to maneuver and move in this terrain for Combine Fire attacks works best.

Further, Cruise Missiles created the battlefields unique topography. Each Faction started attacking each other with large OGREs and no real ground was gained by either, so CMs were brought in by both sides to tip the balance in their favor but all they really accomplished was ending the OGREs supremacy as a weapon of choice there and cratering much of the geography to the point new tactics with different units became a necessity. This reduced the use of CMs because the units being targeted by them were no longer worth the expense of using nukes. The battlefield and units morphed to what the current map I made is. A total meat grinder that continues because each side still wants a breakthrough advantage out of this deadly stalemate.

Maybe CPs in this Scenario are used differently and relied on more than normal ones in areas that have less damaged terrain. This is what could make it plausible that the loss of the CP means a loss of Combine Firing because communications and the command had to be restructured to overcome the radiation background, ect. making the CP take more of the field communications/operations work load.

Last edited by Tim Kauffman; 09-23-2018 at 05:43 PM.
Tim Kauffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 08:54 AM   #13
voodoo54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Kauffman View Post
As a Scenario special rule, I was thinking of having all units on the side that looses its CP loose their ability to Combine Fire.

The battlefield this occurs in has 30 Cruise Missile Craters within a map of 116 Hexes. All other hexes are Rubble or Town (not really Town, but represents terrain that has been damaged to that equivalent).

This battlefield would have a lot of background radiation, ect I would assume added to the devastated terrain makes for a battlefield that doesn't really get any worse. It's so bad in fact, only Infantry, Mobile Howitzers and Howitzers operate in it. Possibly bad enough to make such a Scenario specific rule plausible.

This gets into what CPs would be operationally in The Last War and how they affect units in the field.

Any thoughts on this one?
I think it's a neat idea. I usually play where whoever destroys the CP first wins regardless of how many units are lost. That puts a twist on it where losing the CP isn't the end of the game but degrades your capabilities and still give you an incentive to protect your CP while trying to destroy the OPFOR's CP.
voodoo54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 06:21 AM   #14
Izzy_B

A workaround for no CP/destroyed CP is to designate a unit as battlefield commander whereby nearby units can do combined fire/call in artillery strikes, etc. However that means that unit must be tracked during the game and loss of that unit will result in no ability to combine attacks.
Izzy_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 05:52 PM   #15
Tim Kauffman

Thanks for all the comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf90 View Post
Sensor Nets and Command Control are both optional rules within Ogre Miniatures, Second Edition.

D.
Thanks Drew. I forgot about this. You get a +1 to the die roll when resolving an attack if within 10" of the CP.
When the CP is disabled or destroyed you loose this bonus and units may no longer combine their fire.

For SHELL SHOCK, I'll just use the last part of this optional rule...when the CP is disabled or destroyed, units may no longer combine fire. There would be no +1 bonus to attack because of the extreme conditions of the battlefield.