Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-05-2008, 02:01 PM   #41
Kaldrin

Default Re: Amused DF3 Observation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony
If we're going to ignore real world limits, there's no reason to pay attention to real world scaling of things like equipment weight.
I think that was my point.
Old 03-05-2008, 02:10 PM   #42
vitruvian

Quote:
I think that was my point.
Well, in terms of ignoring weight, I would actually suggest doing just that, at least when you're getting down to pixie size (halflings and gnomes should reasonably be able to get full DR armor at 1/2 to 1/5 surface area and weight, with maybe a slight penalty for awkward thickness - let the Giant Equipment Perk apply to that as well). Why? Well, being at about 1/10 scale, even with a 'realistic' ST 1, pixies would have a good 10x the carrying capacity, relative to their own weight - doing pixie pyramids is easy. At ST 5, they're 25x as strong as that. So, if a human can carry his or her own body weight around at Max encumbrance, a typical pixie can carry around *250x* its own weight with about the same difficulty (ignoring how bulky or awkward this would be). Given that, and three-dimensional scaling for pixie-sized equipment, I suggest that the true DF way to go would be to say that pixie weapons, armor, etc. just have *no weight at all*, simply because their actual weight would be so negligible in comparison to the pixie's No Encumbrance level that it wouldn't impact the number of gold coins they can fly away with in the slightest.

However, I still think the way to go with DR and weapon damage bonuses is multipliers based on the linear scale factor rather than a straight subtraction, just because I don't fancy two pixies with warhammers doing less damage to each other than when they go at it with bare fists...
vitruvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 11:13 AM   #43
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony
Realistically, small creatures and objects aren't significantly less resistant to explosions than large creatures; they may not be as tough, but they also have a lot less cross-section (for fragmentation) and volume (for overpressure). GURPS has never tried to model that effect, however.
And what about fall damage?

I haven't read the Pixie species template closely, and I don't remember if they have wings or something, but assuming they don't, a Pixie should have some kind of rather good protection from fall damage.
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 12:39 PM   #44
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Knutsen
GURPS models fall damage somewhat (impact damage based on velocity), though it doesn't model terminal velocity effects of size as far as I know.
Anthony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 02:33 PM   #45
WingedKagouti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Knutsen

I haven't read the Pixie species template closely, and I don't remember if they have wings or something, but assuming they don't, a Pixie should have some kind of rather good protection from fall damage.
One of their main advantages, they do possess Winged Flight.
WingedKagouti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 07:29 PM   #46
vitruvian

Quote:
GURPS models fall damage somewhat (impact damage based on velocity), though it doesn't model terminal velocity effects of size as far as I know.
Well, the damage is based on velocity and mass (as represented by HP), so it should be pretty well scaled to their HP already. But no, the greater effects of air resistance on one's fall aren't really modeled directly.
vitruvian is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dungeon fantasy, pixies