Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-18-2018, 02:05 PM   #11
evileeyore
Banned

Default Re: Blunt trauma through vehicle armor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gef View Post
*My understanding is that you can't use Breaking Blow and Power Blow at the same time...
I don't see why not. It just takes the prerequisites several seconds to line everything up.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 02:29 PM   #12
Anthony

Quote:
Thanks for the replies, guys - I'll check those references. We still lack stats for a modern main battle tank as far as I know
We had it in previous editions. Frontal DR 1600-ish, other faces 120-ish.
Old 09-18-2018, 05:31 PM   #13
a humble lich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
We had it in previous editions. Frontal DR 1600-ish, other faces 120-ish.
There is also a quick line in Supers which gives DR 1200 Front and Turret and 100 elsewhere for a "tank," which one could assume was intended as a modern main battle tank. But that wasn't full stats, just a quick description of toughness.
a humble lich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 05:37 PM   #14
Ulzgoroth

High Tech has an MBT, though not a current one.
Old 09-19-2018, 05:40 AM   #15
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
We still lack stats for a modern main battle tank as far as I know
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
High Tech has an MBT, though not a current one.
Literally listed under 'modern main battle tank', though I suppose one could argue that it's postmodern.
Old 09-19-2018, 12:06 PM   #16
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
Literally listed under 'modern main battle tank', though I suppose one could argue that it's postmodern.
It dates to 1972, per the book. That might be modern (or as you say post-modern) in art history terms, but it's not modern in technological terms in the late 20-teens. It wasn't really in 2007 either.

I mean, it's still in current use, but Shermans saw combat as late as the 90s and were in active service in at least one country until earlier this year.

I'm guessing they went with it (A) because it was active in contemporary hotspots and (B) had more available statistics than really modern units where armor performance in particular is a national secret.
Old 09-19-2018, 12:23 PM   #17
Rupert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
I'm guessing they went with it (A) because it was active in contemporary hotspots and (B) had more available statistics than really modern units where armor performance in particular is a national secret.
There are tons of the things around, and you're far more likely to bump into an export model T-72 than any kind of M1 or Leopard 2. You're more likely still to run into an old T-55, but I think people would've been annoyed if the newest tank in HT had been the T-55 or a Centurion, even if the write up had included some of the modern replacement gun and electronic kits, etc.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 02:36 PM   #18
Gef

Quote:
...yields me a 500pt mutant with ST 80. Triple for Power Blow yields...180 damage for an all-out attack (strong)
I forgot about Control Points. With double CP from TbaM (needed for that Power blow anyway), a grab and smash could double your damage, especially if the brick gets mutiple limbs involved - say, legs around the main gun and a hand on one of the rungs. This is starting to sound more feasible, especially if the benchmark is DR 1600 as mentioned above. If modern tanks really do have just DR 120 on the sides, it should be feasible for a brick to flank. Thanks for the references to tank armor values.
Gef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 02:48 PM   #19
Gef

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
I don't see why not. It just takes the prerequisites several seconds to line everything up.
If Concentration is required,, you can only Concentrate one one thing at a time, though I suppose I could squeeze in Compartmentalized Mind (Breaking Blow Only).

The divisor is only 5, but I've been wondering, if I buy Divisor 10 for a ST-based attack, based on ST 80, and then use Power Blow, do I only apply the divisor to the first 9d of 17 or 25? Seems kind of clunky, if that's the case, and Breaking Blow less so, just have to deal with 2FP rather than 1FP for every attack on a tank.

At heroic rather than superheroic strength levels, with Power Blow available for weapons and both Blow skills available for Karate, Breaking Blow is a better bet than Power Blow for an unarmed fighter against an armored opponent, helping him keep up with the weapon master's swing damage. Allow him to use both at the same time, and now the unarmed fighter is outperforming the weapon master against armored targets. Not sure that's the intent.
Old 09-19-2018, 02:55 PM   #20
Gef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert View Post
There are tons of the things around, and you're far more likely to bump into an export model T-72 than any kind of M1 or Leopard 2. You're more likely still to run into an old T-55, but I think people would've been annoyed if the newest tank in HT had been the T-55 or a Centurion, even if the write up had included some of the modern replacement gun and electronic kits, etc.
Yes. Campaign concept is that there are thousands of mutants in the world, distributed according to the puberty demographic. They manifest powers at puberty, but even before then, their health is better and so they're more likely to survive childhood. In other words, countries with a high birth rate, like Nigeria, have a head start in the new arms race, even if they're poor. So yeah, we're gonna see interesting civil wars with mutants fighting against everything from pick-up trucks to T-72s, but at some point we may see a battle between Abrams/Leopard and a poor army that thinks its mutants will close the tech gap.