Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 08-27-2018, 07:38 AM   #11
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: Lost in Dreams (Jane Doe)

"No, Nothing? If you do feel any of those, let us know immediately."

"This is no dream. Unless we're all dreaming together."

"Yes, an Advanced Neural Interface, or ANI, lets you connect to the comm systems, and the various rooms on the network. You don't have one, and you have no sign of ever having had one." I know there are places where people don't have them, but that's generally the most dangerous parts of earth. And even then, a lot of people have them."

Olive shirted man: "We're going to have to explain everything to her, aren't we?"

Dr. Kuse "I can handle that Zachary. Yes, Olive,you are on a spacecraft orbiting CK093harax. The ship is named "The Beagle", after ship Darwin went to the galapagos islands on. This is the first manned ship to travel to a foreign planet with stalked plants on it. We have a small crew of about 6,000 people. Does that help?"

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 11:43 AM   #12
Plane

"Earth? Dangerous soil?"

*assumptions that "ship's electronic system" referred to some kind of cruise boat evaporate upon hearing Kuse say "spacecraft"*

"When did you bring me inside your... Beagle?" (is figuring she probably saw it from the outside before boarding or something) "Or did someone else bring me here? I don't remember how I got inside."

*mentally also associating "CK093harax" with "foreign planet", presumably, and "stalked plants" with the image of a lush vegetation wall she's seen earlier in her dream*

"Is stalked plant like a beanstalk?" (I'm assuming since I understand English I'd know terms like this, but maybe not fairy tales like "Jack and the" to make allegories)
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 12:17 PM   #13
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

"No. Dangerous People, not dangerous soil. Not everyone is as fortunate as us. You do know about the planet earth*?"

"I have no clue how you got in. I was hoping you could tell us, but you say you have no idea how you got here. We'll have to do some more work on that. Zach here is going to run some tests on your blood and hopefully we'll have more answers. "

"Like a bean plant, a conifer, or a fern. Any plant more complex than pond scum. Really, you haven't heard of any of this? Harax is famous..."

Olive suddenly notices the room is very very stuffy. After about 2 seconds, its suddenly no longer stuffy.

The man in red raises his hands and slaps them down on the screen very hard. "Oww!" He cradles his hands. The others in the room look away from olive.

"Ostav!" Dr. Kuse rushes over.

Ostav waves her away "Its just another spasm. Still no idea what's causing those. Ouch! that one hurt!"

The man in olive (Zach) asks "Any new ideas why some folks are effected more than others?"

Ostav: "The computer is still mining for that. Its quite annoying though."

*Yes, she should and does. Lots of details about earth. And Geology, for that matter. She does know what a beanstalk is.

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
Old 08-28-2018, 02:57 PM   #14
Plane

(I wasn't sure about proper-noun planet-"Earth" because of "What was earth? She couldn't remember" in OP, which is why I figured she might interpret that as common-noun soil-"earth")

I suppose roll against default (or otherwise) for Botany/Geology to say something clever in relation to mineral content / soil composition requirements for stalked plants?

(if interaction with these guys is going to gradually reveal the possession of pertinent skills by their feedback on competency, then I should probably gradually pay the 15 CP to change Total Amnesia to Partial Amnesia, reflecting knowing what skills I have but not how I acquired them, but until I do, I guess even the -2 to IQ-based skill rolls where memory would be valuable is by itself nearly worth it, since that would normally be worth -20 when you remove will/perception from equation)

"I don't remember much about Earth, but if there were dangerous people there I'm glad to be around safer people here. There are fewer dangers on this Planet Harax?"
Old 08-29-2018, 08:34 AM   #15
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

"Olive" opens her mouth and asks something about soil types: which ones have been found on Harax. It has something to do with soil deposition.

Dr. Kuse: "I... don't know. You'd have to ask the geology team. I don't know if the captain will give you access to those teams though. You're not supposed to be here."

Dr. Kuse: "Earth isn't all bad: most of it is quite pleasant. Hop out of the chair quick, we need to look at Ostav."

occ: good point about earth. We're going to need to watch that one. She can remember lots of details, but they don't make sense. Generally she won't know things until they are brought up, but she generally remembers them after that.

Old 08-29-2018, 03:01 PM   #16
Plane

*gingerly climbs off the highly-inclined chair which was formerly a mobile-bed-platform/table, not sure how high up it was or if she was helped up*

"Is Ostav going to be okay? What happened?"
Old 08-30-2018, 07:55 AM   #17
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Zach West: "A large number of the crew have been having symptoms of something. We don't know what!"

Ostav is rushed into the chair, and the two arms that circled "Olive" before start circling Ostav.

Zach stares intently at screens. "Interesting... but ... no. Arrg! What is this thing!"

Dr. Kuse: "I say we just leave Ostav in the chair. He's one of the most commonly afflicted. Yes, we could you up and about Ostav, but You're more useful as a reliable test subject"

Ostav: "Or we could grab one of the other high-frequency folks and have them be the lab rat."

Ostav looks at "Olive": While I'm being useless here, I may as well explain the problem to you. We've had a bunch of people experience unexplained headaches, cravings, intense dreaming, nausea, Spasms, and loss of bodily functions. No Idea what is causing it, but as a statistical anomaly its .03% likely to just be a coincidence. Something is happening. We just don't what. No trace of a pathegon or strange chemicals. The mice on the probes seem fine, so its not UCF. sorry: universal constant fluctuation. We thought that'd been debunked.

Old 08-30-2018, 10:51 AM   #18
Plane

"I guess I'm the only one so far who appears to be experiencing memory loss though, so it's unclear if whatever is causing problems for your crew affected me or not?"

*examines the walls*

"Does this Beagle have any... windows for seeing the planet Harax?"

(is wanting to establish if her dream of a planet matches up or not, though establishing a match at the long-view will probably make her think she's looked out a window before, though it wouldn't explain the surface-view, but asking about whether or not there've been landings on the planet before would be a bit weird and premature)
Old 08-30-2018, 12:20 PM   #19
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Ostav: "Its a variety of neural disorders. Memory loss is something we've considered looking into, but its harder to test. Of course, you're not supposed to be here at all, and its weird that the new effect targets you, of all people.

Either that or I'm hallucinating something. Zach, tell me I'm not hallucinating."

Zach West: "you're too lucid to be hallucinating at the moment Ostav. Unless you constantly hallucinate"

"Olive" hasn't seen a window since she's been here. Not one.

Zach: "you can access the public feeds on channel... you don't have an ANI. right. Technically, there is an observation deck at each junction, though that's a good way to feel dizzy. The habitat spins pretty quickly. Or..."

He turns to face a wall, and it lights up, quickly resolving into a close image of the planet from her dream.

"Haxor! home to the first extraterrestrial Megascopic life!"

The match between the planet she saw in her dreams and this image is very very good.

Old 08-30-2018, 11:35 PM   #20
Plane

"Oh... it feels... familiar. Like maybe I do remember seeing it before I came to be in that room. Maybe before I was somehow able to access a screen like this... How long have the ship been here for? You said it was the first, did a second ship come after?"