Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-10-2020, 11:52 PM   #11
Refplace

Default Re: Power Pools and tiered powers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigrah2k View Post

My question's relevance is to the notion of increasing the potency of a permanent ability by using a modular ability to augment it.

Just to check and see if I'm on the right page with the comments about using the difference.

Regen: Base (1HP/12Hr) 9 pts
(Super-10%)

Regen: Trance (1HP/Min) 65 pts (54 pts diff?)
(Backlash: Incapacitation: Daze -50%, Heals Radiation +40%, Once On, Stays On +50%, Super -10%)
Looks right to me. In order to stack them they need the same power modifier which in this case is Super and they do.
Though I dont see why you need once on Stays on for this.

Alternative Abilities do run into a point where they are no longer cheaper than Modular Abilities. However Power Stunts (powers at Default specifically) will always be cheaper. The catch with them is the Will or Skill roll (minor as easy to buy enough skill) and especially the FP cost to swap.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 06:35 AM   #12
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
Regen: Base (1HP/12Hr) 9 pts
(Super-10%)

Regen: Trance (1HP/Min) 65 pts (54 pts diff?)
(Backlash: Incapacitation: Daze -50%, Heals Radiation +40%, Once On, Stays On +50%, Super -10%)
65 - 9 = 56, not 54
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 06:57 AM   #13
Tigrah2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineDaysDead View Post
65 - 9 = 56, not 54
Good catch... lol, math.... I should do less of it late at night.
Old 01-11-2020, 07:24 AM   #14
AlexanderHowl

Once On, Stays On (+50%) is for abilities that turn off if the individual is knocked unconscious by injury, which does not include Regeneration (which is normally a passive ability). I would suggest the following instead: Regeneration (Fast; Backlash, Euphoria, -30%; Heals Radiation, +40%; Super, -10%) [50]. The Euphoria occurs as the body releases endorphins to deal with the pain while healing the site(s) of the injury. It is also only a 41 CP difference.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 04:23 PM   #15
Tigrah2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
Once On, Stays On (+50%) is for abilities that turn off if the individual is knocked unconscious by injury, which does not include Regeneration (which is normally a passive ability). I would suggest the following instead: Regeneration (Fast; Backlash, Euphoria, -30%; Heals Radiation, +40%; Super, -10%) [50]. The Euphoria occurs as the body releases endorphins to deal with the pain while healing the site(s) of the injury. It is also only a 41 CP difference.
Euphoria instead of dazed...? I can see sime sense in that switch. It's a notable, but not insane CP difference, from the looks of it.
Old 01-11-2020, 05:45 PM   #16
Plane

Quote:
I have a permanent power of Regen (slow)
I want to temporarily improve this regen
It sounds like what you might be talking about something related to GURPS Powers.

P160 "Extra Effort" has rules for spending FP (which I imagine you could spend from an Energy Reserve related to the power) to temporarily level up abilities.

Unfortunately... I'm pretty sure the "Level" aspect is probably intended for things which have a fixed cost per level, and not just different names for each tier like Regeneration does.

So instead of spending 1 FP for a chance to upgrade...

"Using Abilities at Default" (pg 173) requires 3 FP to attempt, but is a little more open-ended. So the difficulty scales better with the differences in cost for the higher levels.

Given that you're basically adding onto an existing ability, I would think the "point value of the default ability" (for purpose of calculating penalties to your roll) should be its cost minus the cost for whatever level of regeneration you already have.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote