Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-28-2019, 10:53 PM   #1
AlexanderHowl

Default Alternative Paths/Effects for RPM [RPM]

Within the default RPM system, we have nine (plus one) Paths: Body, Chance, Crossroads, Energy, Magic, Matter, Mind, Spirit, and Undead (plus the optional Path of Nonexistence). There are also only seven possible effects (though they are divided into lesser and greater effects): Control, Create, Destroy, Restore, Sense, Strengthen, and Transform. However, the default system is not the only Paths/Effects that could potentially exist, and there are infinite possible combinations. Here are a few examples of different Paths:

Elemental (Expanded): Air, Earth, Dark, Fire, Light, Metal, Spirit, Void, Water, and Wood

Mage the Ascension: Correspondence, Life, Entropy, Forces, Matter, Mind, Prime, Spirit, and Time

Mage the Awakening: Death, Life, Fate, Forces, Matter, Mind, Prime, Space, Spirit, and Time

Mage Wars: Air, Arcane, Death, Earth, Fire, Holy, Mind, Nature, War, and Water

In addition, a couple of potential effects could include:

Banish (Lesser Banish would return a minor entity to its home while Greater Banish would return a major entity to its home)

Bind (Lesser Bind would bind a minor entity while Greater Bind would bind a major entity)

Protect (Lesser Protect would protect against lesser rituals while Greater Protect would protect against greater rituals)

Summon (Lesser Summon would transport a minor entity while Greater Summon would transport a major entity)

Ward (Lesser Ward would ward against a minor entity while Greater Ward would ward against a major entity)

Weaken (Lesser Weaken would reduce statistics by up to 30% while Greater Weaken would reduce statistics by up to 100%)

What other Paths and/or Effects would you want to include in your use of RPM?
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 03:12 PM   #2
AlexanderHowl

Default Re: Alternative Paths/Effects for RPM [RPM]

Another possible generic fantasy Path set: Animal, Air, Dark, Death, Earth, Fire, Life, Light, Plant, and Water. Spirits would be divided into Ancestors (Death), Demons (Dark), Elemental (Air, Earth, Fire, or Water), Gods (Light), and Nature (Animal, Life, or Plant).
Old 12-30-2019, 03:28 PM   #3
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
Another possible generic fantasy Path set: Animal, Air, Dark, Death, Earth, Fire, Life, Light, Plant, and Water. Spirits would be divided into Ancestors (Death), Demons (Dark), Elemental (Air, Earth, Fire, or Water), Gods (Light), and Nature (Animal, Life, or Plant).
Thanks, that gives me an idea for my homebrew magic system Affinity Magic. Affinities replace the magic colleges and Paths for Book/Path magic but I hadnt thought about adding a RPM adaptation. Since I already use ideas from Realm magic it will be pretty easy to add it as an option for my Chalice World Setting.
Fits the setting better than the broader more generic RPM, I'll just charge a UB similar to the Wizard one I already do.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 03:59 PM   #4
AlexanderHowl

Good to know that someone can use it...
Old 12-31-2019, 07:12 AM   #5
AlexanderHowl

Zodiacal and celestial Path systems are other possibilities, though they may end up with 12 Paths. Here are four examples:

Zodiac (Western): Aquarius, Cancer, Capricorn, Taurus, Aries, Gemini, Leo, Virgo, Libra, Scorpio, Sagittarius, and Pisces.

Zodiac (Eastern): Rat, Ox, Rabbit (or Cat), Tiger, Snake, Sheep, Dragon, Pig, Rooster, Dog, Horse, and Rooster.

Celestial (Classical): Earth, Sun, Moon, Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Void, Stars, Overworld, and Underworld.

Celestial (Modern): Earth, Sun, Moon, Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune, Void, and Stars.
Old 12-31-2019, 08:21 AM   #6
ravenfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
Celestial (Modern): Earth, Sun, Moon, Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune, Void, and Stars.
With Pluto taking the place of Daath, being the planet that doesn't exist?
Old 12-31-2019, 11:19 AM   #7
AlexanderHowl

Since there are twelve Paths, Void would probably include tbe rituals of the Path of Nonexistence.
Old 01-09-2020, 06:28 AM   #8
AlexanderHowl

Just wanted to add another verion:

Chinese Elemental: The Chinese Elemental system would be divided by element (Earth, Fire, Metal, Water, and Wood) and focus (External versus Internal). For example, sparking a fire from kindling would be an application of Lesser Create External Fire while transforming fear into joy would require Lesser Transform Internal Water and Lesser Transform Internal Fire.
Old 01-09-2020, 06:59 AM   #9
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

I've proposed a path of Machines before, mostly for high tech settings where the path of Matter is covering "too much". Its not only about machines, but about all sorts of mechanical complexity.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote