Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-08-2020, 10:45 AM   #31
beetle496

Default Re: Gamma World

Thanks Anthony, I got your same numbers from SpinCalc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
For circular motion, apparent gravity = speed^2/radius, or solved for speed, speed = sqrt( apparent gravity * radius ).
Right, as I wrote, I would need to make the radius smaller [not larger] for less rim speed.
Quote:
At 40km radius and apparent gravity 10m/s^2, speed = sqrt( 400,000m^2/s^2 ) or 630m/s. At apparent gravity 4m/s^2 speed is only 400m/s.
You write “only” 400m/s — but that is still fantastically fast!
Quote:
But yes, the air will generally move with the ground so it doesn't directly produce a lot of wind.
Thanks, that is what I was hoping!
Quote:
It does mean the coriolis effect is fairly noticeable; a rising object will gain apparent spinward velocity of 1.6m/s per 100 meters (1 per 100 in the 0.4g case), a sinking object gets the reverse.
I was looking for some simulators / visualizations — but the links were dead or for off-line apps. I would like to know how high characters have to jump before things get crazy! Natives probably don’t think twice about the effects they get from throwing a ball high. Long range indirect fire from bow weapons would not be predictable enough I wouldn’t think.
Quote:
This would likely produce some weather patterns unlike anything familiar on Earth, though I'm not up to modeling exactly what they would be.
That’s okay, since it sounds like I am liberty to have storms when the plot calls for them!

Last edited by beetle496; 01-08-2020 at 10:49 AM.
beetle496 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 11:16 AM   #32
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by beetle496 View Post
I was looking for some simulators / visualizations — but the links were dead or for off-line apps. I would like to know how high characters have to jump before things get crazy! Natives probably don’t think twice about the effects they get from throwing a ball high. Long range indirect fire from bow weapons would not be predictable enough I wouldn’t think.

That’s okay, since it sounds like I am liberty to have storms when the plot calls for them!
The Schlock Mercenary webcomic has some decent illustration of these effects in book 10, "The Longshoreman of the Apocalypse", and book 14, "Broken Wind". It's a fun read, although quite long.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 12:21 PM   #33
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by beetle496 View Post
Long range indirect fire from bow weapons would not be predictable enough I wouldn’t think.
The problem with ranged weapons isn't coriolis force, the problem is that you have to add arrow velocity to rotational velocity to compute apparent gravitational effects. For arrows moving at 63m/s (210 fps) in the 1g case, arrows going spinward will be subject to 1.21 Gs, arrows going driftward will be subject to 0.81 Gs. It becomes worse for faster projectiles, if you fire a projectile at 630m/s driftward it will curve upwards following the curve of the ground, staying at a constant altitude until its velocity drops.
Old 01-09-2020, 02:05 AM   #34
beetle496

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
The problem with ranged weapons isn't coriolis force, the problem is that you have to add arrow velocity to rotational velocity to compute apparent gravitational effects.
Yes, sloppy of me to mix those up.
Quote:
For arrows moving at 63m/s (210 fps) in the 1g case, arrows going spinward will be subject to 1.21 Gs, arrows going driftward will be subject to 0.81 Gs.
As I understand, it is angles even somewhat tangential to the spin where aiming by sight would become difficult.
beetle496 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gamma world, metamorphosis alpha