Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 09-20-2018, 07:36 AM   #1
David Bofinger

Default Thoughts on the Beta PDFs

If we have actual errors we're supposed to tell the authorities, this thread is just for miscellaneous thoughts about them.
  • The PRONE markers have the same thing written on each side? I think they should have something to the effect of "-2 DX due to wounds" on the reverse -that meaning but shorter, I guess. Actually it seems very unlikely we need that many PRONE markers.
  • The warrior counters from Wizard (representing, I assume, summoned myrmidons) are not very clad. Almost like some wizards can keep them around long enough they are useful for recreational purposes.
David Bofinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 08:02 AM   #2
aaron819

Default Re: Thoughts on the Beta PDFs

Looks pretty good. Never played or read TFT before, so i have no other version to compare it to. I don't like the niche protection that is giving wizards penalties to non-staff weapons, but there's a reason steve is a game designer and I'm not.
aaron819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 10:45 AM   #3
larsdangly

I'm sure a lot of people like the 'class' specific penalties and limitations, but a relax them at my table.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 12:17 PM   #4
Skarg

In the full rules in In The Labyrinth, that "class protection" becomes a general requirement for everyone to have an appropriate weapon talent or attack at -4.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 12:20 PM   #5
Skarg

Overall, I really like the new previews we're seeing!

I love the adjustments to the effects of fallen bodies, especially the explicit -2 footing penalty, and the option to slowly enter or leap over bodies to avoid having to make a 3/DX roll or fall (which in the original rules was IMO too brutal for low/mid-DX figures).

I think I miss the 3/DX roll not to fall when a Forced Retreat happens to someone with nowhere to retreat, though. Of course it's the easiest thing in the world to re-add as a house rule.
Old 09-20-2018, 02:01 PM   #6
Skarg

I'm really not sure why there is a change of 1 point for death and unconsciousness. It doesn't increase the margin where people might be alive if they collapse from wounds at all. And as is being pointed out in errata, it makes the existing examples explaining it wrong.

Having unconscious be 0 OR 1, and death at -1, would help in both ways, though a 2-point unconsciousness zone is not much different from 1.
Old 09-20-2018, 02:59 PM   #7
Skarg

Melee shows 100 experience per additional attribute, up to 8, then says to check In The Labyrinth.

If ITL is still going to have a nice slow/steep improvement curve, people coming from Melee will find an extreme difference in the experience curves... just saying...
Old 09-20-2018, 03:12 PM   #8
pyratejohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
I'm really not sure why there is a change of 1 point for death and unconsciousness. It doesn't increase the margin where people might be alive if they collapse from wounds at all. And as is being pointed out in errata, it makes the existing examples explaining it wrong.

Having unconscious be 0 OR 1, and death at -1, would help in both ways, though a 2-point unconsciousness zone is not much different from 1.
During today's lunchtime game my opponent and I both agreed that additional point makes the game better.
Old 09-20-2018, 08:01 PM   #9
JohnPaulB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
Melee shows 100 experience per additional attribute, up to 8, then says to check In The Labyrinth.

If ITL is still going to have a nice slow/steep improvement curve, people coming from Melee will find an extreme difference in the experience curves... just saying...
Maybe. I think that anyone playing a Basic game might expect that the advanced rule system will have some things change so that it can incorporate more complex mechanics.

Melee is the training wheels for TFT.

Fantasy Chess: A chess game with combat.
Don't just take the square, Fight for it!
https://www.shadowhex.com
JohnPaulB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 10:00 PM   #10
Skarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyratejohn View Post
During today's lunchtime game my opponent and I both agreed that additional point makes the game better.
In what way?