Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 04-30-2019, 03:36 PM   #1
Pragmatic
Ceci n'est pas une tag.

Default Treatment of paladins in Greyhawk 1E/2E?

I was reading the TV Tropes article on Greyhawk, and it briefly mentions that D&D 5E takes Greyhawk's treatment of paladins.

I wasn't as in to D&D in 1E/2E, so didn't notice anything special in how paladins were portrayed in Greyhawk.

What did I miss?
Old 05-04-2019, 10:06 AM   #2
Pragmatic
Ceci n'est pas une tag.

Default Re: Treatment of paladins in Greyhawk 1E/2E?

To answer my own question: I couldn't find the answer in any of the Greyhawk books/boxed sets I have, and I don't know 1E/2E as much as I know 3.XE, but based on my reading of the 5E Player's Handbook, it looks like paladins now derive their power from their beliefs, rather than any particular deity.
Old 05-04-2019, 03:58 PM   #3
Anaraxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pragmatic View Post
it looks like paladins now derive their power from their beliefs, rather than any particular deity.
I think 5e is trying to leave the question up to the players and setting. The PHB says "a paladin’s power com es as much from a commitment to justice itself as it does from a god." That doesn't mean gods aren't involved -- paladins specifically do channel divine magic, after all. (There are no agnostic arcane paladins that are simply really devoted to some cause.) But it also doesn't mean you have to be devoted to worship of some specific diety to channel the power directly from that world-stalking entity. They're leaving the interpretation more open. The exact details are not, after all, crucial to the class concept.
Anaraxes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2019, 06:26 PM   #4
Stormcrow

The answer to the original edition AD&D question is found in the Dungeon Masters Guide. See pages 38–39.

Briefly, all classes that use clerical/druidical spells must have a patron deity. To gain first-level spells, they must studied, learned, and served the teachings of the deity, and this is the source of their spells. To gain second-level spells, continued service to the deity (in the form of gaining character levels) is required, and this remains the source of spells.

To gain third- and fourth-level spells, the character must meditate and pray, and a supernatural servant of the deity bestows the spells.

Paladins can cast no higher spell level than 4, so they never directly communicate with the deity for spells. This is required for spell levels 6 and 7.

All this applies to Greyhawk.
Stormcrow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 03:41 AM   #5
ak_aramis

Spelljammer makes note that you cannot recover spells above 2nd level unless an established body of worshippers share your deity. (p. 18)
ak_aramis is offline   Reply With Quote