Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 02-18-2020, 12:52 PM   #1
TrollishMcTroll

Default Death Test experience points question

Hello - posted and got an answer to a couple of my questions on FB so thanks for that.

My next question is - would it be appropriate to award and allow folks to spend XP between rooms in Death Test? Given the lethality of the adventure I am leaning towards yes. What is the official stance and/or how have others handled this?

I'm planning on using DT as a kickoff for a longer campaign.

Thanks again.
TrollishMcTroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 01:24 PM   #2
hcobb

Default Re: Death Test experience points question

Death Test is much less lethal if you're prepared.

Take a gargoyle with a silver halberd staff, two dwarven light crossbow snipers with shoulder bags for gold bars, and a Master Physicker.

BTW: Can you count the three hexes for a pole arm charge straight down?

Last edited by hcobb; 02-18-2020 at 01:32 PM.
hcobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 01:44 PM   #3
Skarg

The suggestion in ITL is that usually XP are spent between adventures, when PCs make it back to a safe place and have time to rest and so on. But it also says the GM can do whatever they want.

I tend to stick to that. To my mind, it seems too weird/surreal/gamey for figures to improve abilities from room to room.

Also, Death Test says to calculate and give awards at the end of the adventure.

If you are worried about difficulty level, my first suggestion would be to alter mindset/expectations and enjoy the actual risk of death, and my next suggestion would be to get more experience before entering Death Test.

The first Death Test is dangerous for inexperienced 32-point characters who aren't optimized for combat and/or don't know good tactics. However, 34-point characters, or 32-point well-designed fighters with combat-ability-improving talents from ITL who use good tactics can have a very good chance of making it through Death Test without taking losses.

So there's a fine line between high chance of death, and easy.

For new players to TFT, I would suggest:

* Start by telling the players TFT has serious real risks of death, and that's part of the fun of the game.

* Then run one or more practice combats in the arena, just so players have some idea what they're doing and experience the danger level. You might even have them fight against each other in a not-to-the-death combat, and let survivors have some XP.

* Set the expectation of likely death, and have them try to get through Death Test, with it being ok if some or all of them die. If they do die have them discuss tactics and try again with new characters, giving them the option to do some practice combats to get a little better than 32-points before going in. If they're allowed to have talents, then there are certainly characters/tactics at 32-34 points which with good tactics can make it through Death Test 1.

I see a lot of people just starting with 35+ point characters with talents and other advantages, and/or following someone else's tricks, and just blasting through Death Test, but I think that cheats them of the experience of actual challenge and learning and also the fun/interestingness of facing actual difficult uncertain situations.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 02:22 PM   #4
Shostak

I, too, would wait until after the PCs have gotten out alive before giving them any XP. 32 point characters can get through DT if they are played intelligently and the dice are not unkind. They'll have a harder time making it out of DT2; 34-pointers will have a better success rate.
Shostak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 04:58 PM   #5
Senturian

And at the end of DT2, a mandatory 6 month tour when the PCs can gain XP+.
Senturian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 08:02 PM   #6
Tom H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrollishMcTroll View Post
My next question is - would it be appropriate to award and allow folks to spend XP between rooms in Death Test? Given the lethality of the adventure I am leaning towards yes. What is the official stance and/or how have others handled this?
Well, on page 4 of Death Test in the second paragraph it says:
Quote:
All Melee rules apply except those for experience.
It appears that the adventure will prescribe its own experience at the end.
Tom H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 08:34 PM   #7
David Bofinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
Can you count the three hexes for a pole arm charge straight down?
I don't see why not. Jumping off a 12+ foot cliff should be rewarded.
David Bofinger is offline   Reply With Quote