Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-26-2016, 07:33 PM   #1
Sombreiro

Default [Help] Reverse Trigger?

I'm sorry if I've missed it somewhere, but I'd like to know if there's something like a reverse trigger.

Example: Gilford has a holy armor, but if tainted with innocent blood or if demon blood spills over it, he loses his power until he washes it off.

Example 2: Lord Spectre is a human who can go into Ghost-form, but if there's smoke around him he is forced to stay as human, thus mortal.

Which modifiers should I throw in?

Thanks, in advance!
Sombreiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 07:36 PM   #2
Anaraxes

Default Re: [Help] Reverse Trigger?

Sounds like Accessibility. See also Environmental and Pact.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 06:04 PM   #3
Sombreiro

Thanks! But I can't seem to grasp Example 2 as any of these. What you elaborate a little bit? Can't use around smoke seems something I can't truely make and odd, it would be like 99% of the time, but as it is easily made by the enemy,it doesnt feel right.
Old 07-27-2016, 06:25 PM   #4
Anaraxes

Just a matter of how you phrase the Accessibility (etc). If you can imagine "Only while in smoke", then "Only while not in smoke" should be simple enough; it's the same as "Only while in smoke-free environment", so you can always make it a positive statement if you prefer. The hard part is choosing the value for the Limitation. How common is smoke -- especially considering that enemies can make it, at least if they're prepared, and do they know enough about Lord Spectre's weakness to do so? How often do you expect the character not to be able to use that ability when it really matters?

A character might or might not have an easy way to guarantee their favorite environment. If Lord Spectre can cast the Purify Air spell, he won't fear being trapped in smoke nearly so much.

As another touchpoint, see the discussion of "Mundane Countermeasures" as part of a Power Modifier (assuming you have GURPS Powers, p20). Having a way that enemies can block your power with "everyday items and knowledge", as opposed to special equipment, training, or other powers, is generally good for -10%. You could apply this to individual abilities just as well as part of a PM.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 07:59 PM   #5
Sombreiro

I see, Mundane Countermeasure seems just about right! It even brings about the matter "How many people know about it?", as it implies a little bit of thought and experimentation. As he is gaseous, and have compulsive cleaning, many rules about not smoking and things like that, once he reveals as a Ghost, it would be pretty simple to sum it up and fight against him.

Thanks a lot! :D

Tags
power, trigger