Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-13-2007, 04:28 PM   #31
vesper

Default Re: Star Trek [TNG] - DATA - stats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaldrin
I remember him jumping down when he met his mother, but other than that I don't follow ST with very much fervor.
I can think of 2 places both in movies. Once when he leaps about half way down a missile silo without a issue or even being off balance. The second he was in zero g and lept from one ship to the other. While not hard to jump in zero G, it seemed a bit more than a normal person. If he has super- jump I would limit it to 1 level
vesper
vesper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 04:53 PM   #32
Greystar

Quote:
Originally Posted by vesper
I can think of 2 places both in movies. Once when he leaps about half way down a missile silo without a issue or even being off balance. The second he was in zero g and lept from one ship to the other. While not hard to jump in zero G, it seemed a bit more than a normal person. If he has super- jump I would limit it to 1 level
vesper
I dont consider that being super-jump in either case. Zero G is just Zero G he essentially Aimed himself and pushed off it just looked like a Jump. Although I wouldn't doubt that he can magnetize his feet to make it possible to stick to a surface since we doesn't need a spacesuit. He didn't Leap there in my opinion he just stepped off the edge and landed. I'd say with his enhanced Skeleton it just prevented his bones from breaking like anyone else would have. I would also assume that he has Gyro-Stabalizers of some sort giving him far better balance than a Human. I couldn't find anyway to justify Super-Jump of any value for Data.

Last edited by Greystar; 12-14-2007 at 11:48 AM.
Greystar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 03:35 AM   #33
Steev

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2
Only when he's on trial.
No, it is also used in the episode when they have those head mounted games which take over their minds.

It ends up with Wesley and that girl running from the rest of the crew until Riker catches him.

One of the first things the 'infected' people do is use that button to switch Data off, he explained it earlier in the episode and said something like "If you had an off button, would you tell everyone where it was?"

Data comes onto the bridge at the end and flashes a sequence of lights which breaks the hold of the game.
Steev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 11:23 AM   #34
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steev
No, it is also used in the episode when they have those head mounted games which take over their minds.
You're right. You know, I think we need a new Disadvantage to represent that.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 11:48 AM   #35
Greystar

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2
You're right. You know, I think we need a new Disadvantage to represent that.
Disadvantage: Has External Power Button; -20 points (maybe even more based on accessibility). (Only works for Machine Entity)

I would put it a 20 because I'd call this a big disadvantage, then you can tack on other modifiers to increase or decrease the benefit of the disadvantage based on where it's located... for instand if it was between the toes I'd actually make this a 80% modifier since that's really hard to get to especially with boots on. If it's on the head like data's and you can sneak up on him then I'd say it might be worth more then 20 points. If it's located under the arm (ie armpit) I might make it reduced by half so it's only a 10 point disadvantage. Anyway you look at it though it is concealed and you have to know it exists inorder to access it. But someone with an ability like Machine Telepathy might be able to "hack" and find the weaknesses.
Old 12-14-2007, 03:01 PM   #36
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greystar
Disadvantage: Has External Power Button; -20 points (maybe even more based on accessibility). (Only works for Machine Entity)

...If it's on the head like data's and you can sneak up on him then I'd say it might be worth more then 20 points. ...
Head?? It was on his side in the episodes I watched.
Flyndaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 03:56 PM   #37
Greystar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran
Head?? It was on his side in the episodes I watched.
I couldn't remember, its been a while since I've watch anything, but you get the idea.
Old 12-17-2007, 03:47 AM   #38
Steev

On his side?

I have never seen that. He has it on the back of his head in the head mounted games one and when he is on trial Riker presses it and shuts him down.

Do you know which episode it was? Never mind the title if you can give some of the plot I might remember it.
Steev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 05:24 AM   #39
panton41

I remember that he tells Beverly that it exists in confidence while walking down a corridor and I want to say that somehow Riker find out from her in the episode where he's basically the Devil's advocate.

Edit: I want to say it was in "Measure of a Man" in the second season (Wikipedia, not my phenomenal nerd-like powers for that fact) where that entire exchange happens.

Quirks: Doesn't proofread forum posts before clicking "Submit". [-1]

Quote:
"My mace speaks Goblin." Antoni Ten Monros

Last edited by panton41; 12-17-2007 at 05:36 AM.
panton41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 12:33 AM   #40
eddie

Location: Ayden, North Carolina, USA, North America, planet Earth, Sol system, Milky Way, the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steev
On his side?

I have never seen that. He has it on the back of his head in the head mounted games one and when he is on trial Riker presses it and shuts him down.

Do you know which episode it was? Never mind the title if you can give some of the plot I might remember it.
Data's "off" switch is first mentioned in the episode "DataLore" (ep 12 season 1).

ciaran_skye is correct about the second time it is used. It was "The Measure of a Man" (ep 9 season 2).

The switch is located on his back, left side, not far below the bottom of the ribcage (if he were human).

ciaran_skye, Riker probably found out about the off switch when he studied Data's schematics, while preparing the argument that Data could not resign from Starfleet.

- Eddie
eddie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
character, star trek