Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 08-03-2018, 12:35 AM   #1
Desertmonkey

Default Death Test reprint art

Has it been announced whether the Death Test reprint will use the original art or is Pat Hidy going to create new art for it? Hidy’s work seemed so emblematic to me for TFT.
Desertmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 01:00 AM   #2
Wayne

Default Re: Death Test reprint art

They can’t use original art, SJ was only able to retrieve copyright on his text.
No idea who’s doing the art.
Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 01:57 AM   #3
Rick_Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertmonkey View Post
Has it been announced whether the Death Test reprint will use the original art or is Pat Hidy going to create new art for it? Hidy’s work seemed so emblematic to me for TFT.
Hi Desertmonkey, everyone.
The fine lines on my counter art for Death Test were a bit blurry, which made it hard to see what was going on. The more iconic art from Melee and Wizard worked better.

(I've heard others say that their version of the counters of Death Test were sharp, so it may be I simply got a counter sheet where the ink had run a bit.)

Warm regards, Rick.
Rick_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 02:18 AM   #4
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne View Post
They can’t use original art, SJ was only able to retrieve copyright on his text.
No idea who’s doing the art.
Scroll down toward the bottom of this page:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ng/description
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 02:27 AM   #5
JLV

Frankly, I like that Liz is doing the counter art for DT and DT2; Pat Hidy's art work was GREAT, but it was clearly shrunk down copies of the art for the interior of DT, and it was very hard to make out clearly on the much smaller counters. I suspect that had Pat been told his art was going on the counters, he would have drawn it differently for the smaller format. Liz's counter art is always crisp and clean, though, and her technical mastery is even better nowadays. Plus, the two or three interior illustrations that we HAVE been shown look pretty darn good to me, and they are from a variety of artists.

(Edited to add: Oops, I see Phil has already weighed in on where to see who the artists are, so I'll delete that...)
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 11:27 AM   #6
Desertmonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed View Post
Scroll down toward the bottom of this page:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ng/description
Oh awesome! I like her work a lot too, especially for Tunnels and Trolls and Doomtown.
Old 08-03-2018, 11:28 AM   #7
Desertmonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLV View Post
Frankly, I like that Liz is doing the counter art for DT and DT2; Pat Hidy's art work was GREAT, but it was clearly shrunk down copies of the art for the interior of DT, and it was very hard to make out clearly on the much smaller counters. I suspect that had Pat been told his art was going on the counters, he would have drawn it differently for the smaller format. Liz's counter art is always crisp and clean, though, and her technical mastery is even better nowadays. Plus, the two or three interior illustrations that we HAVE been shown look pretty darn good to me, and they are from a variety of artists.

(Edited to add: Oops, I see Phil has already weighed in on where to see who the artists are, so I'll delete that...)
That's a good point: on some/most of his counters, the fine lines disappeared.
Old 08-03-2018, 12:14 PM   #8
Jim Kane
Banned

Hmmm, we had 2 copies of the first edition of Death Test (with the thinner lettered masthead logo and wider spaced lettering on the cover), and our Pat Hidy counters were crisp, clear, and sharp.

Do you know which edition you guys had?

JK

Last edited by Jim Kane; 08-03-2018 at 12:15 PM. Reason: Typo
Jim Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 12:36 PM   #9
Shostak

Mine were perfectly printed. Not sure what edition--first, probably, since it had only just been released. I agree that great page illustration does not necessarily make for great counter art. Danforth's original Melee counters were perfect, and her new ones look like they will continue the tradition.
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 12:50 PM   #10
Desertmonkey

Mine were crisp and clear (albeit with the missing lines as I mentioned earlier), which is what drew me in. I loved those goblins and the giant!

I've got a couple different editions and the differences for me were in the counter color. The 1978 bagged version, the counters are black. My third edition boxed version has brown counters.