Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 11-02-2014, 05:20 PM   #1
McKnackus

Default Munchkin Adventure Time: Backpack Too Overpowered

Me and my friends have been looking at the Backpack card, which reads "You may have any number of cards in your hand. You are immune to Bad Stuff and Curses that force you to discard cards from your hand."

This means that whoever gets the Backpack is hereby free to accumulate endless gobs of treasure or otherwise force all the other players to waste their items to stop them from doing so somehow.

The main issue is that there are absolutely no downsides to the Backpack, and there are few, if any ways, to remove it. It has no equipment allocation (headgear, armor, handed item, etc.) gives no attack bonus, is only worth 300 gold peices, and only seems to be removable by the players death or Flame King's bad stuff. No normal curses would apply.

It wouldn't be so bad if curses like "lose your most valuable item" applied to it more easily, or if it had -X to run away, or any real caveat to the otherwise overpowered item, but there isn't as far as I can tell.

Are there any other ways to remove the item or downsides I've just missed in M:AT?
McKnackus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 07:37 PM   #2
StormCrow42

Default Re: Munchkin Adventure Time: Backpack Too Overpowered

Are you missing that any item with a gold piece value may be put into play "unused" so it doesn't clog up your hand? This includes most one-shot items as well as items for which you don't have any free slots to equip them with. Although having the backpack would allow you to keep them in your hand to conceal what exactly you have.
Old 11-02-2014, 08:39 PM   #3
McKnackus

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormCrow42 View Post
Are you missing that any item with a gold piece value may be put into play "unused" so it doesn't clog up your hand? This includes most one-shot items as well as items for which you don't have any free slots to equip them with. Although having the backpack would allow you to keep them in your hand to conceal what exactly you have.
That's precisely it. Usually they'd have to reveal all their one-shot cards, including the all-important wishing ring/orbs so they can keep any big special cards they have in their hand, but with the Backpack you have no idea what you're up against until he's played 7 one shot cards and specials that make any attempt to stop them moot.
McKnackus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 08:52 AM   #4
Mister Ed

I would agree that the Backpack is seriously overpowered...but of course I still lost the game when I had it (mostly because I just couldn't seem to draw a Monster). It seems like one or the other of its effects would make for a good card, but both together is pretty insane.

While it is true that you often can play stuff to the table, so you don't necessarily NEED to be able to hold a ton of stuff in your hand, the fact that, with the Backpack in play, the stuff in your hand is practically impossible to lose for any reason is pretty good reason to keep anything you aren't currently using in your hand. If you played it to the table, so many more things could make you lose it.

Ah well, it is a fun card, all the same. I certainly enjoyed having it. (Had I ever been able to draw monsters, it would have been extra useful by allowing me to stockpile monsters to Look For Trouble with, too).
Mister Ed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adventure time, backpack, munchkin, overpowered