Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V. > Ogre Video Game

Old 11-27-2017, 02:00 PM   #1
Eugee

Default Breakthrough vs AI

So I just tried out the new update, and ran Breakthrough (attacker) against the computer.

The AI picked out 3 HVY, 2 MSL, and 1 GEV, and deployed all of them on the south end of the map by the river, along with the INF.

ALL of them.

I deployed my dozen GEVs in the NW corner, ending each turn adjacent to a stream as often as possible. Killed the one HVY that threatened to get in range on the next turn, and exited the map on like turn 5 with everything.

The game freaked out and said it couldn't determine the victory results.

Weird.
Eugee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 03:11 PM   #2
Eugee

Default Re: Breakthrough vs AI

Tried another run, this time as Defender. I did my usual setup of 3 SHVY and two stacks of INF. The SHVYs are spaced along the road to quickly react to attacker deployment, and the INF in two stacks between them. Basically get ready to hold those bottlenecks.

The GEVs were a pretty spread out deployment, but ultimately ended up in 2 clusters, riverside and the opposite plains. I moved 1 SHVY and a stack of INF down to the destroyed bridge, making sure they couldn't get into range that turn. Then the rest of my force headed down to the streams, keeping 3 hexes from the opposite bank so they couldn't get a shot.

The AI is just a bit too timid I think (or maybe it just can't figure out how to approach a unit with a 6 hex threat radius), but it just huddled away from me and fed me one unit at a time. I only received a couple attacks, and while the river group cowered unable to figure out how to engage me, the rest of my force tore their north side apart then came down to kill the cornered GEVs.

I always thought Breakout was about blasting through the lines and getting to the opposite side. I'll try it again without using SHVYs and see if it plays any better.
Eugee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 03:54 PM   #3
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

One thing to remember about Breakthrough, it's a GEV scenario. SHVYs didn't exist when it was created and they tend to make a mess of things. I try not to use units that scenarios weren't designed to handle; they are usually better balanced that way.

That said, the AI is definitely having issues with controlling conventional units.
Old 11-27-2017, 05:13 PM   #4
selenite

I've played Breakthrough once on each side. As attacker I got all GEVs off the board without firing a shot. I used a three HWTZR defense. The GEVs danced around until I could pick them off and get the win.
selenite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 08:53 PM   #5
dwalend

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranitePenguin View Post
One thing to remember about Breakthrough, it's a GEV scenario.
Another thing about Breakthrough is that some rules changes (broken river bridge is swamp for GEVs really matters) tilts the game in favor of the defense. It's still fun, but the attacker needs an extra 2-3 GEVs to balance if both players play well and roll reasonably.
dwalend is offline   Reply With Quote