Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-01-2016, 10:13 AM   #31
T.K.

Default Re: [Powers] Using TK to Add to Normal ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by scc View Post
I'm pretty sure that that means that TK can use swords, at the very least it can use guns
Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebfl View Post
as that doesn't link to a specific post I reread the entire thread (yes re read if you see I was a participant)

And PK said absolutely nothing about what Basic TK can and cannot do. ands scc posted the rule quote that show how Basic set TK does it.

The main difference is TK grab has an activation rule on TK on top of the Skill roll to use the tool you are wielding via TK, and Basic TK doesn't have that activation role with turning on either Skill for averyone or Putting on Requires Roll Limitation on it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
I think you mean this one. This post does NOT say you can't wield a broadsword with your TK and use Broadsword skill. With the TK Grab power, Telekinesis has been enhanced with "Based on IQ", so your Broadsword skill roll is floated to IQ, but you still use it. It doesn't get a separate bonus from Talent, but being able to float it to your IQ is often as good (if not better) for many mentalists.
Quote:
Originally Posted by naloth View Post
I'm not sure what you're getting at? Broadsword was explicitly an option (floated to IQ as a stat base, but the same skill).

Outside a Psi campaign I would be leery about floating combat skills to IQ because it means that all the Innate Attacks and such suddenly use the stat that most mentalists have as their highest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
On page 92 of Basic: Characters, it says:

So TK can be used to attack with a Broadsword.

Sorry for the long time to reply, I kinda missed what thread this was in...

By some answers, some people seem to be implying that I was saying that you can't use a broadsword at all to attack with TK and that's certainly not the case.

If that was what you guys understood, I'm sorry for poor communication on my part.

What I meant is that TK from Basic allows to attack with a Broadsword using your TK skill and your TK skill only.

TK Grab from Psionic Powers allows to attack with a Broadsword using your TK Grab skill _OR_ Broadsword skill defaulted to IQ.

That's my understanding and what I was referring with my first post here... If that's not the case, I didn't quite understand the distinction PK referenced between the two of them.
T.K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 12:57 PM   #32
Bruno

TK from Basic doesn't have it's own skill. With unmodified TK, you can't substitute a TK skill, since there isn't one, and you use the weapon skill DX-based, as per usual, because there's no IQ-based modifier on TK.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 02:40 PM   #33
scc

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.K. View Post
Sorry for the long time to reply, I kinda missed what thread this was in...

By some answers, some people seem to be implying that I was saying that you can't use a broadsword at all to attack with TK and that's certainly not the case.

If that was what you guys understood, I'm sorry for poor communication on my part.

What I meant is that TK from Basic allows to attack with a Broadsword using your TK skill and your TK skill only.

TK Grab from Psionic Powers allows to attack with a Broadsword using your TK Grab skill _OR_ Broadsword skill defaulted to IQ.

That's my understanding and what I was referring with my first post here... If that's not the case, I didn't quite understand the distinction PK referenced between the two of them.
What TK Skill? B92 would suggest that you use your normal skill for whatever task you wish to perform.
scc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 04:52 PM   #34
L.J.Steele

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebfl View Post
Now as I said before I assumed when he said no Psi power on basic TK as assume he was reject Power builds of Psi and wanted to only use the advantage TK, I didn't even stop to think he might being the supplement Psionic Powers when he emphasise the Basic set. As to its 100% Cannon to use Power Block with TK like that. Not sure as Kromm or PK, I suggested it assuming he was rejecting the normal way so I suggest something that might work as an alternave.
Sorry, day job sucked up my free time. GM has Basic and Powers, not Psi Powers (I do have Psi Powers as a reference) so I need to work within those books. Psi is a side-light to the campaign, not the main focus, so no reason to import a bunch of rules that will likely just pertain to my character.

I think I'm confused a bit about how TK works. Basic says that TK adds to various skills, like surgery and lockpicking.

This implies that, at some level, it can be a subconscious thing -- an adjunct to what you are already doing. So, I'm pondering creating TK brass knuckles -- real brass knuckles are cheap to purchase, so if the power is expensive or hard to use it isn't worth the bother. Ditto TK "gloves" to improve parry -- if it is complex or expensive, then buying actual heavy leather gloves is more effective. I'm wondering if a minor effect could be done as a perk -- there are TK perks in Psi Powers that replicate having a lighter or a bucket.
L.J.Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 06:18 PM   #35
Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.J.Steele View Post
I think I'm confused a bit about how TK works. Basic says that TK adds to various skills, like surgery and lockpicking.
Specifically it states on p. B92 it goes into the two main ways of using Telekinesis; at a distance or as the book refers to it, "discretely". Basically, if you make an IQ roll, then according to these rules you get a +4 bonus. They also suggest using the rules for High Manual Dexterity. I've always read this somewhat subtly (as it mentions using it to aid in Gambling, specifically in cheating!), so you're using your regular hands to do most of the work, with just a quick (or quick series) of assists from your Telekinesis. As I have proven I don't know what I am talking about, I am mostly answering to put this forth so that when we get a real answer, someone might take pity and correct any errors I have made. ^^'

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.J.Steele View Post
This implies that, at some level, it can be a subconscious thing -- an adjunct to what you are already doing. So, I'm pondering creating TK brass knuckles -- real brass knuckles are cheap to purchase, so if the power is expensive or hard to use it isn't worth the bother. Ditto TK "gloves" to improve parry -- if it is complex or expensive, then buying actual heavy leather gloves is more effective. I'm wondering if a minor effect could be done as a perk -- there are TK perks in Psi Powers that replicate having a lighter or a bucket.
True but our examples of all of this tend to be non-combat. As for cost, brass knuckles are inexpensive but they also can be located and confiscated, while only giving a +1 bonus to damage. If you are totally strapped for CP, then yeah just use them; your TK can make it easier to get them back if someone tries to take them, but if your TK goes down you still have a pair of brass knuckles. If you can afford the CP and your GM will allow it, Blunt Claws costs all of 3 points. Since they are going to be Psychokinetic in nature, even if you don't want to deal with Alternative Abilities, that gives you room for a 10% Enhancement. If we aren't doing them as an Alternative Ability, I suggest Switchable because (as you would expect with something that represents using your TK to augment your punching damage) they are incredibly hard to detect when not in use. I am sure someone else will offer a better idea, though. ;)

What I think they will agree with is that unless the GM forbids it entirely or you absolutely do not have the points, buy some level of Damage Resistance with the justification of it being a manifestation of your Psychokinetic Abilities. Again, you do not have to do this as an Alternative Ability if you do not want to, and even a single level will help you with your Parrying and more. If you want to do this with the rules from Powers for Power Stunts, Power Blocks, etc. I am still trying to get a handle on those (again, I have already demonstrated this) but buying these things as Advantages (especially ones you can make with just Basic Set, let alone Powers) is that you don't have to add in die rolls or additional rules. They are just "there".
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 08:54 PM   #36
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

DR(Force Field, +20%; PK -10%) possibly as an alternative ability to you TK you probably a good idea. no only will it keep you from hurting yourself when puniching there will be times when it will in general 8)
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 02:46 AM   #37
T.K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
TK from Basic doesn't have it's own skill. With unmodified TK, you can't substitute a TK skill, since there isn't one, and you use the weapon skill DX-based, as per usual, because there's no IQ-based modifier on TK.
Hmmm...I always assumed you had TK skill to control your use of TK...but it's been a while that I switched to Psi Powers take on psionics, so...
T.K. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
powers