Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 03-19-2011, 10:04 AM   #41
robkelk
Untitled

Default Re: O'Neill Cylinders

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshiggins View Post
Also, unlike Disneyworld, the O'Neill Habitat probably doesn't have that pernicious rodent problem.

:)
Different setting, same rodent problem. (Okay, it's a Cole Habitat, not an O'Neill Cylinder, but the point still stands.)
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 03:42 PM   #42
lwcamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett View Post
Thanks. I thought that having a point of view so very close to the inside surface would make the perspective very different from looking down a pipe, and am glad to see it's true.
Yeah, that's what motivated me to do these models/renders in the first place. Here's a render from the surface of a ringworld showing what I was talking about with fish-eye lens distortion
http://panoptesv.com/Zoe/wheels/ringscenelg.html
what you would perceive when standing on the ringworld would be the ring going straight up, but in ray tracing you get a tilted looking projection unless the ring is right in the center of your field of view.

Luke
lwcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 05:38 PM   #43
ak_aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett View Post
You always change ends at half time.

I wouldn't think that would matter much. Players' ability to pass a ball for distance already far exceeds the range where it is tactically wise to do so. A long pass in Rugby isn't called a "hospital pass" for nothing. In any case, it can't be worse than beach Rugby. Nothing is worse than beach Rugby. Nearly lost a PC in a game of beach Rugby once.
Having watched plenty of rugby and gridiron , I've noticed that when the wind is significant to one side of the pitch, it can drastically influence play strategies; also, switching ends doesn't even things out as much as might be implied; second half tends to be a bit slower for most of the teams I've seen play. A disadvantageous wind along the length of the pitch tends to help the team initially attacking from up wind a bit more than the second, as the first team with the advantage tends to make better use of it.

And a 15% easier in antispin vs 15% harder spin throw definitely means sufficient difference to alter play... and a lot more missed throws due to differences in ball performance.
ak_aramis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 06:48 PM   #44
Agemegos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak_aramis View Post
And a 15% easier in antispin vs 15% harder spin throw definitely means sufficient difference to alter play.
I don't think that "15% easier" is an accurate characterisation. If you throw the ball the same it will go ~6% further. But since a good pass in Rugby is much shorter than the distance one can easily throw a Rugby ball that doesn't really help much. A cross-wind makes passes faster or slower, which does matter. The Coriolis effect only makes them come in a little low or high: that requires practice to adjust for, but equally to east or west.

Decay is inherent in all composite things.
Nod head. Get treat.
Agemegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 01:45 PM   #45
tshiggins

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkelk View Post
Different setting, same rodent problem. (Okay, it's a Cole Habitat, not an O'Neill Cylinder, but the point still stands.)
That may be the most depressing thing I've seen in months.
tshiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 06:52 PM   #46
robkelk
Untitled

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshiggins View Post
That may be the most depressing thing I've seen in months.
Yeah, we don't do much with it in-setting. It's just there as background material and a Dire Warning To Future Generations to not let any other company pull the same sort of stunt.
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 08:09 PM   #47
Agemegos

I built a little calculator for the thickness of the structural hull, mass of the hull and contained atmosphere for a rotating cylindrical habitat, as functions of the length and radius, the "gravity" and air pressure, the mass-per-unit-area of the shielding, armour, landscaping, and fittings, and the strength and density of the structural material. It's an Excel workbook with no macros.

Just at the moment the list of possible building materials is a bit incomplete and some of the values for strength questionable.

I put it on Dropbox for review and personal use: https://www.dropbox.com/s/7iilf35hdx...ator.xlsx?dl=0

Decay is inherent in all composite things.
Nod head. Get treat.
Agemegos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flat black, o'neill cylinder, oberth cylinder, orbital habitat, space