Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 11-21-2017, 11:07 PM   #1
Qoltar
Pike's Pique

Default Character help? Experiment gone wrong? (Human Bard)

Okay....

If I'm going to try and run some DF game sessions then I should try to make some DF-style characters with my GCA - right? (Made sense to me)

So as an experiment I took Jag Fairchild the 247 Bard from the Delvers pack in the GM package and I tried to recreate him the GCA.

Something went wrong - instead of a 247 point character I got a 325 point, unspent points of -78 character.

Trying to figure out what I did wrong.

Also, shouldn't characters with spells have to grab Magery as an advantage? I didn't see that in his description.
Heck, I didn't see his age, height, or weight on that page in the Delvers book - and the GURPS Character Assistant usually always wants those spaces filled.

- Ed C.
You can't take the sky from me....

A vote for charity: http://s3.silent-tower.org/TheKlingonVotes/index.html
Qoltar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 11:37 PM   #2
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: Character help? Experiment gone wrong? (Human Bard)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qoltar View Post
If I'm going to try and run some DF game sessions then I should try to make some DF-style characters with my GCA - right? (Made sense to me)
Dungeon Fantasy characters are so straightforward that you might have better luck with the old fashioned way, if GCA is challenging for you to use.
Quote:
Something went wrong - instead of a 247 point character I got a 325 point, unspent points of -78 character.
Well you are exactly 78 points over. I am guessing that some of that is GCA adding stuff that GURPS Magic has as spell prerequisites, but Dungeon Fantasy doesn't (Magery 3 would account for 35 of those points).

I guess if you want to email me the file, I can look at for you.

The other thing is since GCA does trading points for money incorrectly, he should be be a 250 point GCA character (unless you trick GCA into doing it correctly).
Quote:
Also, shouldn't characters with spells have to grab Magery as an advantage? I didn't see that in his description.
He is a bard, with Bardic Talent 3. See Bardic Talent, Adventurers p. 17.
Quote:
Heck, I didn't see his age, height, or weight on that page in the Delvers book - and the GURPS Character Assistant usually always wants those spaces filled.
Actually it doesn't care if you leave those fields blank.

However, if you want to fill them in, see Cosmetic Details, Adventurers p. 8.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 05:53 AM   #3
Dalin

Quote:
I think those details are intentionally left for the player to determine.
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 06:04 AM   #4
Qoltar
Pike's Pique

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Dungeon Fantasy characters are so straightforward that you might have better luck with the old fashioned way, if GCA is challenging for you to use.
'Challenging'? - Oh my goodness No.

I am or was Very comfortable with GCA from 2009 to 2013 when I was running my GURPS adaptation of Star Trek. The GCA was being used almost weekly to update both player characters and NPCs. The mildly ironic thing was that the Prime Directive updates data set to the GCA happened after I was running that campaign.

My copy of the GCA also was used pretty much weekly 2004 to 2008 when I was running GURPS Traveler campaign.

- Ed C.
You can't take the sky from me....

A vote for charity: http://s3.silent-tower.org/TheKlingonVotes/index.html
Qoltar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 08:34 AM   #5
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:

Since you're talking about Jag Fairchild, I'm assuming that by "DF" you mean the Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game and not GURPS Dungeon Fantasy. At this time, GCA does not support the DFRPG, so it is very likely not the best tool for the job.

Quote:

Also, shouldn't characters with spells have to grab Magery as an advantage?
Characters with spells need one of Bardic Talent, Magery, Power Investiture, or Power Investiture (Druidic). Jag is a bard, so he has Bardic Talent.

Quote:

Heck, I didn't see his age, height, or weight on that page in the Delvers book
Those things are considered cosmetic; see Cosmetic Details, Adventurers, p. 8. The only such detail I chose for the sample NPCs was sex, as it's annoying to avoid gendered pronouns in approachable writing.

My general advice is: "Don't think of the DFPRG as GURPS, but as its own game." The more GURPS assumptions (and software) you pull in, the more confusion you'll create for yourself.
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 08:47 AM   #6
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
At this time, GCA does not support the DFRPG, so it is very likely not the best tool for the job.
It doesn't not support it either, you just need to be willing to edit your own data files other just individually input or edit a lot of things (and the points for money thing, but that has always been wrong). Which is probably more work than the old fashioned way, but it isn't impossible.

I guess GCS does have better support, thanks to Pseudonym, so you could use that instead. I hesitate to recommend it, because I don't use it, and SJGames doesn't get any money from it.
Old 11-22-2017, 08:51 AM   #7
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:

It doesn't not support it either
Officially, we won't say it supports anything until data files are being distributed for that thing. Unofficially, it doesn't prevent you from creating your own data files . . . but that isn't something we expect the average user to do, and it definitely isn't something we expect DFRPG customers to get into.
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 09:23 AM   #8
adm

Quote:
...GURPS Magic has as spell prerequisites, but Dungeon Fantasy doesn't (Magery 3 would account for 35 of those points).

To emphasize this point, both Dungeon Fantasy, and Dungeon Fantasy RPG, use different magic prerequisites from standard GURPS Magic, as well as Magery being replaced by various Power Investitures for Bards, Clerics, etc. makes GCA less than ideal at this time.
Old 11-22-2017, 09:46 AM   #9
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
'Challenging'? - Oh my goodness No.

I am or was Very comfortable with GCA from 2009 to 2013
Making a new gdf for the game would be the most complete solution. Manually entering individual traits, or editing the traits directly into compliance will also work though. If these aren't challenging to you, then you shouldn't have a problem, (except for the fact that you would be doing much more work that you would be just writing or typing the characters out the old fashioned way, although making a new gdf means you only have to do this once).
Old 11-22-2017, 09:50 AM   #10
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
Officially, we won't say it supports anything until data files are being distributed for that thing. Unofficially, it doesn't prevent you from creating your own data files . . . but that isn't something we expect the average user to do, and it definitely isn't something we expect DFRPG customers to get into.
Well you could manually enter each trait, or edit existing traits to fit for each character,you don't actually need datafiles for anything other than the Basic Set, but this is a lot of work for very little benefit.

Incidentally, and I don't want to sound like an armchair publisher, but maybe in the future advance copies can be sent to people who will make the datafiles?