Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-07-2017, 04:39 PM   #1
Shostak

Default THM: RPM Path of Chance

How utilized is Thaumatology: Ritual Path Magic's Path of Chance? The book's grimoire features a mere 4 spells using this path (with only 3 different spell effects), and forum member Raekai’s impressive Magic-to-RPM Conversion lists only 11 discrete Chance spells (and adding only one more spell effect to those mentioned above). Could part of the reason for this be that Chance is a difficult path to understand? Chance is one of the longer path descriptions in THM: RPM, but the considerable overlap in the spell effects it leaves me feeling less than confident that I grasp it thoroughly.

This thread welcomes musings on how Path of Chance might be more thoroughly and imaginatively employed within THM: RPM's RAW, opinions on the boundaries of spell effects within the path, specific spell builds featuring Chance, and words of wisdom from those who have had either unpleasant experiences with this path unbalancing their games or tremendous fun with players happy to explore its potential.
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 08:04 PM   #2
Shostak

Default Re: THM: RPM Path of Chance

I'd post this on the Post Your Rituals Here thread, except that (as I learned from looking for Chance spells) it is hard to find particular path spells in there. As this thread is focused on Path of Chance, I'm putting it here, instead, hoping that's okay.

I'm not quite sure how to build this--I think Transform is legitimate, but perhaps Control Chance with huge modifiers (and thus costs) would be better. Your opinions? Is the transforming a failure to a critical failure feature permissible? Could it change a critical success to something lesser?

Lucky Break
Spell Effects: Lesser Transform Chance
Inherent Modifiers: Bestows a Penalty
Greater Effects: 0 (x1).

This spell is cast on a subject about to make a resolution roll, or it could serve as a blocking spell cast against someone else’s already rolled resolution roll, which it transforms from successful roll to a failure or failure to critical failure, if the subject fails a -4 Quick Contest against the caster’s Path of Chance skill. Rolled critical failures should feature catastrophic outcomes like broken weapons, self-inflicted damage, etc.

Typical Casting: Lesser Transform Chance (8) + Bestows a Penalty, narrow, -4 to Quick Contest (8) + Range, 10 yards (4). 20 energy (20x1).
Old 06-16-2017, 05:40 AM   #3
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

I have found the path of chance to be one of the most versatile. I once wrote a list of cheap RPM spells that could be common in a low tech world. chance showed up a good deal, as its the most strait-forward way to add bonuses to skill rolls.

Bless Company (offensively)
Spell Effects: Lesser Strengthen Chance
Inherent Modifiers: weight, area, bestows a bonus
Greater Effects: 0 (x1)

This spell gives a bonus to the attacks of a group of men. One of these subjects is "core" and the others need to stay within range of him to have the spell continue to effect them.

Typical Casting: Strengthen Chance (3) + 5 tons (6) + 10 yards (8) + 30 min (2) + bonus (+4 To weapon skill rolls) (8). 27 energy (27x1)

Bless Company (defensively)
Spell Effects: Lesser Strengthen Chance
Inherent Modifiers: weight, area, bestows a bonus
Greater Effects: 0 (x1)

This spell gives a bonus to the defenses of a group of men. One of these subjects is "core" and the others need to stay within range of him to have the spell continue to effect them.

Typical Casting: Create Chance (6) + 5 tons (6) + 10 yards (8) + 30 min (2) + bonus (+1 To Blocking rolls) (2). 26 energy (26x1)

Similar things can be done with individuals or non-combat rolls. It should also be remembered that the path of chance does divination. Which can be very useful.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 07:34 AM   #4
Shostak

Thanks for the contribution of the Bless Company spells. Why the subject weight modifier in them? I might recommend deleting that, and then, in the offensive version, adding 8 energy to bring the Bestows a Benefit modifier up to moderate from narrow.
Old 06-16-2017, 07:49 AM   #5
DeathDaisy

Some Path of Chance rituals picked from my grimoire. I can't remember if I made all these up or if I found some in the post your rituals thread, but I think they're original.

Quote:
Hex of Easter
Spell Effects: Greater Restore Chance.
Inherent Modifiers: Altered Trait, Extra Life.
Greater Effects: 1 (×3).

This spell, most often cast as a conditional spell activated as the subject is dying, gives them an extra chance at life. Not popular with Death, The Ferryman of Styx, vikings heading for Valhalla or the others who have a vested interest in people dying when they are ordained to do so. This version costs the subject 25 character points, either through lost advantages, skills etc, through point debt or through new disadvantages.

Typical Casting: Greater Restore Chance (4) + Lesser Control Magic (5) + Altered Trait, Extra Life (25). 102 energy (34×3).

Luck of Thieves
Spell Effects: Lesser Control Chance + Lesser Restore Chance.
Inherent Modifiers: Bestows A Bonus, Rolls for stealth and thievery + Altered Trait, Luck.
Greater Effects: 0 (×1).

This spell gives any would-be thief an edge for a night.

Typical Casting:
Lesser Control Chance (5) + Lesser Restore Chance (4) + Bestows A Bonus, +4 to Rolls for stealth and thievery (16) + Altered Trait, Luck (15) + Duration, 6 hours (5). 45 energy (45×1).

Sharpshooter's Frustration
Spell Effects: Lesser Control Chance.
Inherent Modifiers: Altered Trait, Cosmic Dodge (Ranged attacks only) + Bestows A Bonus, Dodge against ranged attacks.
Greater Effects: 0 (×1).

For the duration of the spell, the target is much more likely to make an unpredictable move just as a ranged attack is about to hit, whether from a surprise attack or in the heat of battle, effectively giving the target an active dodge even when not aware of the attack, and an easier time dodging when doing so on purpose.

Typical Casting:
Lesser Control Chance (5) + Altered Trait, Cosmic Dodge (Ranged attacks only) (27) + Duration, 1 day (7) + Bestows A Bonus, +4 to Dodge against ranged attacks (16). 55 energy (55×1).

One of the great things about Path of Chance for me is that you can get away with mostly Lesser effects, making them cheap enough for use even without master skill levels, making them great for early MH or low-powered campaign use.
DeathDaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 07:56 AM   #6
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shostak View Post
Thanks for the contribution of the Bless Company spells. Why the subject weight modifier in them? I might recommend deleting that, and then, in the offensive version, adding 8 energy to bring the Bestows a Benefit modifier up to moderate from narrow.
Weight is for the weight of the subjects. I think I threw it in there because the ritual was effecting multiple subjects and it needed some sort of limit on the number of people you could effect. I'd also just written spells about giving weapons armor divisors and extra damage and making armor tougher, and those needed the weight modifiers because they were physically effecting the objects.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 09:32 AM   #7
Shostak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Weight is for the weight of the subjects. I think I threw it in there because the ritual was effecting multiple subjects and it needed some sort of limit on the number of people you could effect. I'd also just written spells about giving weapons armor divisors and extra damage and making armor tougher, and those needed the weight modifiers because they were physically effecting the objects.
One way to look at it is that Chance itself (which has no physicality and thus no weight) is the subject, so no subject weight modifier would be necessary. However, if you prefer to keep the modifier, you only need the heaviest subject in the area of effect rather than the combined weight of all subjects, so 300 lbs might be enough in most situations.
Old 06-16-2017, 10:48 AM   #8
Apollonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
For any area of effect spell, you only need the weight of the largest subject affected - typically 300 lbs for humans.

Edit: reading fail, didn't see that prior post said exactly this.
Apollonian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 12:23 PM   #9
Shostak

Here's another.

The Corsican Braid of Fate
Spell Effects: Lesser Sense Body, Lesser Transform Chance, Lesser Destroy Body
Inherent Modifiers: Area, Bestows a Penalty, Damage, Duration, Subject Weight

This spell creates a magical link between the lives of two or more people, such that if one dies, the other/s will, on a failed HT-3 roll, suffer 4d direct damage. At the caster’s discretion, this spell may cast so that if only one particular person dies, the others suffer, and as such, it is a perfect incentive for bodyguards who might be suspected of being less than honorable. Or it may be cast upon an enemy, as a deterrent of harm against the someone the caster wants to protect.

Typical Casting: Lesser Sense Body (2) + Lesser Transform Chance (8) + Lesser Destroy Body (5) + Area, 6 yards diameter (2) + Bestows a Penalty, narrow -3 to resist (4) + Damage, 4d direct (12) + Duration, 1 year (12) + Subject Weight, 300 lbs (3). 48 energy (48x1).
Old 06-16-2017, 01:23 PM   #10
Humabout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shostak View Post
Here's another.

The Corsican Braid of Fate
Spell Effects: Lesser Sense Body, Lesser Transform Chance, Lesser Destroy Body
Inherent Modifiers: Area, Bestows a Penalty, Damage, Duration, Subject Weight

This spell creates a magical link between the lives of two or more people, such that if one dies, the other/s will, on a failed HT-3 roll, suffer 4d direct damage. At the caster’s discretion, this spell may cast so that if only one particular person dies, the others suffer, and as such, it is a perfect incentive for bodyguards who might be suspected of being less than honorable. Or it may be cast upon an enemy, as a deterrent of harm against the someone the caster wants to protect.

Typical Casting: Lesser Sense Body (2) + Lesser Transform Chance (8) + Lesser Destroy Body (5) + Area, 6 yards diameter (2) + Bestows a Penalty, narrow -3 to resist (4) + Damage, 4d direct (12) + Duration, 1 year (12) + Subject Weight, 300 lbs (3). 48 energy (48x1).
It is not kosher, per PK to use Bestows a Bonus to penalize resistence to a spell's effects. Otherwise really cool spell!

Free Stuff:
Dungeon Action!
Totem Spirits

My Blog: Above the Flatline.

Last edited by Humabout; 06-17-2017 at 12:30 PM. Reason: I can't type
Humabout is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
path of chance, rituals, rpm, spells, thaumatology