Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-01-2018, 01:17 PM   #1
Whoisme

Default I know nothing about GURPS

So I’ve never played GURPS, or any other role playing game, but I’m interested in starting. One thing piece of info that doesn’t seem to be anywhere in the guidebooks I skimmed (Basic Set and Powers) is how many character points an advantage costs. I was able to find out some through google, but others I wasn’t.
Whoisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 01:44 PM   #2
Nereidalbel

Default Re: I know nothing about GURPS

Each advantage has its cost listed with the rules that say what said trait does. GURPS Lite is free, and covers the basic rules of the game, as well as costs for several traits.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 01:45 PM   #3
Refplace

Basic Set lists the points for each advantage right under the title of the advantage. In most cases the format is title followed by a justified right line just below it that says the number of points the advantage costs.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 01:55 PM   #4
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping

In the Advantages chapter of the Basic Set, the number of points an advantage costs is next to the name, thus:

Code:
Combat Reflexes
                                               15 points
Now, there are all manner of rules for modifying advantages, increasing or decreasing their cost by a percentage for additional capabilities or restrictions, but the basic cost is listed by the name in the Advantages chapter. Oh, and there's a reference table of advantage costs staring on p. B297.

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!

Last edited by Turhan's Bey Company; 09-01-2018 at 03:58 PM.
Turhan's Bey Company is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 05:34 PM   #5
Anaraxes

... and welcome to the forum. It's a good place to learn things, sometimes even things that have nothing to do with GURPS rules.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 10:47 PM   #6
Gollum

Welcome to GURPS, Whoisme!

As you will see for yourself, it is an outstanding roleplaying system because it allows to play everything you want, instead of just one kind of stories in only one game world ...

Now, its amazing scope of possibilities also makes it a bit hard to understand when you do it for the very first time: since you can do everything, you've got rules for everything! More than 500 pages ... just for the Basic Set!

So, the hint here is crystal clear: start simple.

Don't worry about all the detail yet. You will soon discover that almost every rule is optional. GURPS is a toolbox. When you use a toolbox, you don't use every tool at the same time. Apply the same principle with GURPS. Only use the rules you need and do it only when you need them ...

So, as Nereidalbel wrote it, the best thing to do is to begin with GURPS Lite. It is totally free. And it is only 32 pages long. Download it, read it, and run your first games with it. You can do it with Caravan to Ein Arris, an adventure that is also free. After that, you will be able to find your way in Basic Set.

This page, by Eric B. Smith, and this one, by Warren "Mook" Wilson, are excellent to understand everything required about GURPS.

Last edited by Gollum; 09-01-2018 at 10:58 PM.
Gollum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 08:50 AM   #7
acrosome

Keep in mind the most basic mechanic:

Roll 3D6 equal to or under a target number.

Almost everything else reduces to this.

Every rule is optional. People here like to say "GURPS is a toolkit." You pick which rules you want, so don't feel overwhelmed that there are a lot of rules. Many won't even apply to your game world.
acrosome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 09:09 AM   #8
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrosome View Post
Every rule is optional. People here like to say "GURPS is a toolkit." You pick which rules you want, so don't feel overwhelmed that there are a lot of rules. Many won't even apply to your game world.
On the other hand, deciding which rules apply to your game world can be a challenge. If in doubt, ask! If you describe what kind of world you want, people here can help you focus on the rules that will be helpful in running it.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 10:03 AM   #9
joppeknol

I would suggest to use GURPS lite and play 'Caravan to Ein Arris' with a couple of friends if you're completely new to roleplaying.

GURPS lite is only 30 pages and is free. 'Caravan to Ein Arris' is free as well and gives you a premade adventure so that focus on your first GM experience. It is an easy investment both in time and money.

Don't hesitate to ask if you still have questions after reading.
joppeknol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 12:49 AM   #10
tbone

If you're new to GURPS and love ready-made adventures... you might find the number of available adventures an initial let-down. GURPS players tend to roll their own adventures; the huge, sprawling GURPS catalog has a surprisingly small (but good!) adventure component.

All the more true for free, starter adventures. Caravan to Ein Arris is a fine and welcome freebie... but after decades, it's still the sole "...and you can download a free adventure!" offering.

Newbies can get a good overview of GURPS' modest (but quality!) adventure offerings from the excellent "Welcome to GURPS" pages noted by others, and of course from the SJG website. (Tip: There are actually many more adventures, if you peruse Pyramid back issues.)

There are even some gamer-made, non-official (that means free!) adventures available on fan websites.

My question for the forum: Has anyone made a directory of such fan-made adventure offerings?

Twitter: @Gamesdiner | RSS: here ⬅︎ Updated RSS link | This forum: Site updates thread (occasionally updated)

(Latest goods on site: GLAIVE Mini levels up to v2.4. Update to melee weapon design tool, with more example weapons and commentary.)
tbone is offline   Reply With Quote