Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Closed Thread

Old 10-29-2022, 09:49 AM   #21
restlessgriffin

Default Re: Product concept: Dungeon Fantasy adaptation guides for famous adventures

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmdw45 View Post
Hmm. Okay, maybe it's just me then.

I hope to someday be as adept at conversions as you are. For now, it's something that I cannot do in my head. Maybe if I print it out and mark it up I can do the whole thing in an hour or two...
Ditto. While some adaptations are easy enough, other's definitely aren't. I'm finding Nordlondr Ovinabokin: Bestiary and Enemies Book by Gaming Ballistic, LLC to be very useful. I don't do direct conversions, I do replace with closest DFRPG equivalent.

There's a YouTuber who does a channel that I think is Dungeons and GURPS (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRh...JTlTA/featured), his take is to use a pile of GURPS books and do full conversions of D&D monsters, spells, etc. To me that is just TOO much work.
Old 10-29-2022, 10:12 AM   #22
sjmdw45

Default Re: Product concept: Dungeon Fantasy adaptation guides for famous adventures

Quote:
Originally Posted by restlessgriffin View Post
Ditto. While some adaptations are easy enough, other's definitely aren't. I'm finding Nordlondr Ovinabokin: Bestiary and Enemies Book by Gaming Ballistic, LLC to be very useful. I don't do direct conversions, I do replace with closest DFRPG equivalent.

There's a YouTuber who does a channel that I think is Dungeons and GURPS (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRh...JTlTA/featured), his take is to use a pile of GURPS books and do full conversions of D&D monsters, spells, etc. To me that is just TOO much work.
I'm not especially interested in the accounting side of GURPS (figuring out how many points a given monster ability costs), especially since DFRPG officially does not care about accounting for monsters. But it will still be useful to look at his final results.

I will check out that YouTube channel. Thanks!

Edit: hmmm, Spelljammer in DFRPG is an interesting concept with potential to be better than AD&D Spelljammer: https://enragedeggplant.blogspot.com...jammer-is.html

I would drop the link between spelljamming speed and helms though. Spelljammer as a setting has more sensible economics if traveling between planets and/or the phlogiston is just a property of the setting, something you can just do, instead of something that requires a device which would be better employed moving vast quantities of cargo around a planetary surface instead. It's fine if you link helms to landing on a planet and require players to have one, but capturing a random space pirate ship should NOT yield a device that can cheaply move megatons of cargo around a planetary surface when attached to a merchant ship.

Last edited by sjmdw45; 10-29-2022 at 10:45 AM.
Old 10-29-2022, 10:49 AM   #23
Malrex

Quote:
One final point:

Even if it turns out that no one wants to take the legal risk of publishing their notes on how to run Against the Giants or Tomb of Horrors in DFRPG, there are still potential synergies with OSR adventures, the authors of whom are mostly amateurs who might be more open to collaboration. Malrex's adventure Ascent of the Leviathan (review at https://tenfootpole.org/ironspike/) is a good adventure that I'm eager to run; it's published in D&D 5E, OSRIC, and OSE already.

I sure wish Malrex had a DFRPG version published (or even just a blog post on how to convert from OSRIC!) so that I didn't have to do the work myself. Maybe Malrex, or Greg Gillespie (of Barrowmaze fame), would be more open to explicitly okaying conversion notes than WotC presumably is.
Hey everybody!
I'm usually always up for collaboration if I have time. SJGames looks like a different animal though--looks like submissions need to go through a process? Not sure if it could just be thrown into the Open License for publishing without further digging.
But Id assume if someone was doing it for free and posted just conversion notes on a blog may be ok with SJGames? Would be a question for them.
As for using one of my adventures, just email me and we can discuss.
Themercilessmerchants at gmail dot com.
Old 10-29-2022, 11:12 AM   #24
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malrex View Post
Not sure if it could just be thrown into the Open License for publishing
Just to put this in isolation: SJGames does not have any open license for publishing.
Old 10-29-2022, 11:23 AM   #25
sjmdw45

Quote:
Hey everybody!
I'm usually always up for collaboration if I have time. SJGames looks like a different animal though--looks like submissions need to go through a process? Not sure if it could just be thrown into the Open License for publishing without further digging.
But Id assume if someone was doing it for free and posted just conversion notes on a blog may be ok with SJGames? Would be a question for them.
As for using one of my adventures, just email me and we can discuss.
Themercilessmerchants at gmail dot com.
I am unspeakably excited at the prospect of combining TenFootPole-related adventure design expertise with DFRPG as a system. I sent you an email. Thanks for reaching out!

P.S. I'm not sure how to reach out to SJG (I'm kind of hoping they just see this thread) but yeah, the intent is to respect all of SJG's intellectual property and add value to the DFRPG ecosystem. If SJG expressed objections I would keep my conversion notes to myself instead of sharing them on this forum and/or github; but why would they object? They WANT people to play DFRPG. That's why this forum exists!

Last edited by sjmdw45; 10-29-2022 at 11:46 AM.
Old 10-29-2022, 11:41 AM   #26
Malrex

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
Just to put this in isolation: SJGames does not have any open license for publishing.
Thanks for the info!
Old 10-29-2022, 11:51 AM   #27
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Thanks for the info!
(Just to be clear: that's not my opinion on whether they should. Just that they do not, and contacting Alain Dawson in the Licensing office is always the better part of valor given the company stance on OGL as a whole.)

From their website:

Business Office
* Alain Dawson (alain@sjgames.com) Director of Licensing
Old 10-29-2022, 12:01 PM   #28
Anthony

Quote:
Where in that sentence does that happen?

Or are you conceding that it's not a violation on its own, but suggesting that a booklet called Dungeon Fantasy: How To Run Tomb Of Annihilation is inherently brand confusion?
Yes, and it's not even a close call.
Old 10-29-2022, 12:23 PM   #29
sjmdw45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Yes, and it's not even a close call.
Clarification: I can see how that title might infringe the Dungeon Fantasy trademark, but in that hypothetical it is Steve Jackson or an approved affiliate publishing that booklet, and they own the Dungeon Fantasy trademark. The question was whether you believe that title infringes the Tomb of Annihilation trademark if there is one.

Sorry to beat a dead horse. Just wanted to set the record straight there.

Last edited by sjmdw45; 10-29-2022 at 12:26 PM.
Old 10-29-2022, 03:25 PM   #30
Anthony

Quote:
Clarification: I can see how that title might infringe the Dungeon Fantasy trademark, but in that hypothetical it is Steve Jackson or an approved affiliate publishing that booklet, and they own the Dungeon Fantasy trademark. The question was whether you believe that title infringes the Tomb of Annihilation trademark if there is one.
There is one (I checked), and yes, it would.