Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 10-20-2012, 11:38 PM   #1
tremorlaine

Default Trash Compactor Question (Star Munchkin)

Can Trash Compactor be used if you have no +bonus items in play to discard? Or is it a requirement that a +bonus item be discarded to get a new card from the discard pile?
tremorlaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 03:56 AM   #2
Clipper

Default Re: Trash Compactor Question (Star Munchkin)

I think that the Curse rulings would work here. You can play a Curse on someone when it wouldn't affect them, so you should be able to play a Room on someone when it wouldn't affect them too. In other words, if the card is played, treat it as if it was the Door that was kicked open.
Old 10-21-2012, 04:13 AM   #3
tremorlaine

That is the way we played it but the question stands do they get to look for a card if no card was discarded. The wording doesn't say, "If a card is discarded look through the discard pile."

The exact wording of the card we have is, "Immediately lose the item that gives you the biggest bonus...but if you win the combat (or if there is no monster), you may now go through the Treasure discards, starting at the top and skipping whatever you just lost, until you find an item you can legally use. It becomes yours. If the room is empty, you may loot is of Look For Trouble normally."

In our scenario the player had no item to discard and there was no monster to fight. She then looked through the discard pile and got a +4 to Psychics (which she was one) item. It was briefly discussed if a card such as Time Warp was the first card she came to since the wording did not say the first card with +bonus that can legally be used. However, I did find a ruling that said that it was referring to +bonus cards (it should then be added to the errata).
Old 10-21-2012, 04:25 AM   #4
Clipper

I believe you're right. It doesn't say to only go through the discards if you discarded a card, so you would go through them even if you lost nothing.

As for ignoring Time Warp, that's not errata as I see it. By saying to look for a card you can use and that it becomes yours, it means for you to look for a card you can have in use. You put the Item into play (not into your hand). You never have one-shot Items in use (despite the facts that you will eventually use them when you play them and that you can play them to the table before using them later). It's one of the subtleties of the wording that is a little confusing, but makes sense.

Note that you aren't looking for the first Item with a combat bonus either, you are just looking for the first Item that you can have in play that is not 'Usable Once Only'.

Last edited by Clipper; 10-21-2012 at 04:29 AM.
Clipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 04:31 AM   #5
tremorlaine

I agree and can understand fully. The only other way I can see clearing that up is by wording it Use with a capitol u. But that is just semantics. We had similar semantics arguments in our game with cards like Itching Powder where people were insisting that since it said armor only cards with an Armor indicator could be targeted and other saying since armor was capitalized it meant any armor type of item such as the Codpiece or Kneepads.
Old 10-21-2012, 04:46 AM   #6
Clipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tremorlaine View Post
I agree and can understand fully. The only other way I can see clearing that up is by wording it Use with a capitol u. But that is just semantics. We had similar semantics arguments in our game with cards like Itching Powder where people were insisting that since it said armor only cards with an Armor indicator could be targeted and other saying since armor was capitalized it meant any armor type of item such as the Codpiece or Kneepads.
It could be made a little clearer, I agree.

As for your example, though, Armor always refers to Items marked with Armor whether it's capitalised or not, but it usually is capitalised. With Itching Powder, the card says it affects a piece of clothing or armor. The Spiked Codpiece and Kneepads of Allure are not Armor, but they are clothing, so they are valid targets for the card. They would not be valid targets for Curse! Lose the Armor You Are Wearing or anything else which targets only Armor (or armor).
Old 04-28-2017, 08:40 AM   #7
Ziroacanin

If the game has just begun, and there is no treasure in the discard pile yet, but you open this room do you just lose the item that's giving you the biggest bonus?
Ziroacanin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 10:12 AM   #8
MunchkinMan

Yes, since you can't take the Item you lost, and there should be nothing in the Treasure discard pile.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote