Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 12-29-2011, 07:19 PM   #1
Chief2112

Default Munchkin Zombie help for newbies.

Just picked up Munchkin Zombies today for my two boys. We sat down and played a game but I'm positive we were doing a lot of things wrong. I'm not sure if anyone else feels this way but the directions that came with the game aren't that great. I mean most of the info is clear and good but it's not set up in any kind of order that makes sense in terms of learning to play the game.

That being said I just need some direction, especially on the thing that seems to make these games fun which is backstabbing folks. Here are a few questions.

1. How many items can I use during combat? I'm talking about the cards besides armor, head, foot and weapons. I'm talking about the enhancement and one shot cards.

2. Do you automatically lose a level when you are defeated by a monster or do you only go by what "The Bad" is.

3. If a person wants to help the monster defeat you does their rank play into it at all or can they only use enhancement cards to help the monsters?

4. If someone is helping a monster against me and I play a card that puts me in the lead can he/she then play another card to trump me again? I guess I'm just wondering how long can the combat go on? I'm just not clear about how all the little intricacies of combat work.

I guess that's all I got for now. If I have anymore questions I'll ask. Sorry for the newb stuff. My kids really seem to like it but playing our first game was very frustrating at times and we didn't really know what to do and spent a lot of time with our faces buried in the manual to try and figure it out. LOL

Thanks for your help and Happy New Year!
Chief2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 07:41 PM   #2
snarky

Default Re: Munchkin Zombie help for newbies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief2112 View Post
Just picked up Munchkin Zombies today for my two boys. We sat down and played a game but I'm positive we were doing a lot of things wrong. I'm not sure if anyone else feels this way but the directions that came with the game aren't that great. I mean most of the info is clear and good but it's not set up in any kind of order that makes sense in terms of learning to play the game.

That being said I just need some direction, especially on the thing that seems to make these games fun which is backstabbing folks. Here are a few questions.

1. How many items can I use during combat? I'm talking about the cards besides armor, head, foot and weapons. I'm talking about the enhancement and one shot cards.

2. Do you automatically lose a level when you are defeated by a monster or do you only go by what "The Bad" is.

3. If a person wants to help the monster defeat you does their rank play into it at all or can they only use enhancement cards to help the monsters?

4. If someone is helping a monster against me and I play a card that puts me in the lead can he/she then play another card to trump me again? I guess I'm just wondering how long can the combat go on? I'm just not clear about how all the little intricacies of combat work.

I guess that's all I got for now. If I have anymore questions I'll ask. Sorry for the newb stuff. My kids really seem to like it but playing our first game was very frustrating at times and we didn't really know what to do and spent a lot of time with our faces buried in the manual to try and figure it out. LOL

1. You can use as many one-shot or combat/monster enhancing cards as you want during any combat.

2. When you lose combat and fail to run away, you only suffer the Bad Stuff for the monster you failed to run away from. You only lose a level if the Bad Stuff says that you do.

3. Only cards played to help the monsters count - the other player's combat strength only counts if they join you as a helper.

4. Yes, combat is an ebb and flow in Munchkin - you can be winning by a longshot one minute, then losing by an unbelievable amount the next - it's part of what I like about the game, honestly. Combat can go on as long as people are willing to spend cards to change the outcome. At higher levels, this can take quite awhile, especially if there are several people playing.
snarky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 07:58 PM   #3
dunrandomly

Let's see what I can help you with. I don't have Zombies yet, so most of this is general Munchkin info.

You can have any number of small items. If it isn't Big, it's small. What kind of enhancement card are you talking about here?

The Bad Stuff. You don't loose a level, unless it's in the Bad Stuff.

They can use enhancements and one shot item, but can not "help" the monster with their levels.

If you are winning you must give the other players a chance to play against you (2.6 seconds)

And that's how I figure out all my new games. :)
dunrandomly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 08:18 PM   #4
johnnyRolePlayer

Quote:

I just got it the other day too. I can't figure out what to do. It starts out saying on my turn I can play cards. How can I do that if I don't know how to play on the first turn?

I couldn't tell which ones were monsters.
johnnyRolePlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 08:57 PM   #5
bonetm

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyRolePlayer View Post
I just got it the other day too. I can't figure out what to do. It starts out saying on my turn I can play cards. How can I do that if I don't know how to play on the first turn?

I couldn't tell which ones were monsters.
Well, the rules define what type is each card. Curses! and Mojos are obvious, Itens are anything with a Golden Value and a Size, Powers have Ranks, Monsters have Levels, Treasures and Bad Stuff. Just read the rules more slowly and careful. They may not be the best rules in the world (Munchkin has a lot of FAQ and the forums are always full of pertinent doubts). But the newer print rules is full of examples and is much clearer.
MiB: #1602
bonetm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 09:15 PM   #6
Chief2112

That reminds me. Power cards. Does the rank of the Power cards factor into your fighting level at all?
Chief2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 09:22 PM   #7
bonetm

Quote:
That reminds me. Power cards. Does the rank of the Power cards factor into your fighting level at all?
No. The rules say "Level", with capital L, meaning only that.
MiB: #1602
bonetm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 09:28 PM   #8
johnnyRolePlayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonetm View Post
Well, the rules define what type is each card. Curses! and Mojos are obvious, Itens are anything with a Golden Value and a Size, Powers have Ranks, Monsters have Levels, Treasures and Bad Stuff. Just read the rules more slowly and careful. They may not be the best rules in the world (Munchkin has a lot of FAQ and the forums are always full of pertinent doubts). But the newer print rules is full of examples and is much clearer.
I will. I'll go slower. Thanks.
johnnyRolePlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 09:31 PM   #9
snarky

Quote:
No, the rank of your Power cards only determines when and how many you can have (the total ranks of your Power cards cannot exceed your current Level).
snarky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 12:25 PM   #10
MunchkinMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarky View Post
No, the rank of your Power cards only determines when and how many you can have (the total ranks of your Power cards cannot exceed your current Level).
An extra clarification: That's have in play. Power and Mojos can not be put into play if they can't be "used." In other words, you can't have extra Mojos or Powers in play that you aren't using.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote