Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-08-2012, 10:09 PM   #1
Gef

Default Post your magical styles here

Quote:
Originally Posted by vierasmarius in another thread View Post
Wow, it's worse than I thought. I found just three styles total - only one of which was in Magical Styles.

The Onyx Path - Magical Styles pg 34
Yellow Goblin Magic - Pyramid 3-28 pg 12
En Oina Aletheia (ÓA) - Pyramid 3-34 pg 4

It's possible I'm missing others in books or Pyramid issues I don't have, but I checked Alchemical Baroque and Urban Magic. While both mentioned the possibility of using Magical Styles, neither presented any examples.
I should get the ball rolling with some of my own, except my own predate the Magical Styles supplement and don't follow the format. I still need to clean 'em up, and I'm hoping some folks on the forum can show the way. Even if there aren't many responses now, I hope that this thread will become immortal like the 50pt abilities thread. Thanks.

GEF

Last edited by Gef; 07-09-2012 at 12:30 AM.
Gef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 11:32 PM   #2
vierasmarius

Default Re: Post your magical styles here

Since I've recently become enamored of the Movement College, I'll start off with a style focusing on that, and thematically-appropriate additions. This one is relatively simple, based on the short write-up for the College (suggested skills and basic spells) in Magical Styles. EDIT: Refplace, feel free to include this one on your site.

School of Enigmatic Motion
10 points
Style Prerequisite: Magery 1 (may be Movement College Only).
Required Skills: Aerobatics; Body Sense; Flight; Thaumatology.
Required Spells: Apportation; Poltergeist; Slow Fall; Locksmith; Jump.
Perks: Far Casting; Improvised Magic; Intuitive Cantrip (Mystic Gesture); Limited Energy Reserve; Magical Style Adaption (Air or Weather); Missile Spell Mastery; Reduced Footprint; Secret Spell (Teleport, Control Gate, Create Gate); Spell Bond.
Secret Spells: Teleport (if normally banned); Control Gate; Create Gate.

Optional Traits
Attribute: Improved DX and Per.
Advantages: 3D Spatial Sense; Acute Vision; improved Magery.
Skills: Hidden Lore (Dimensional)

Spell List
All Movement College spells, prerequisites as normal with the following exceptions: Long March (Quick March), Light Tread (Apportation, Haste), Freedom (Levitate, Locksmith, 8 additional Movement spells), Air Vortex (Hawk Flight, Ethereal Body).

The following spells are also considered Movement spells for students of this style, with prerequisites as indicated: Walk on Air (Slow Fall), Walk on Water (Light Tread), Far-Feeling (Apportation), Missile Shield, Reverse Missiles, Control Gate (Teleport Other), Create Gate.

Last edited by vierasmarius; 07-09-2012 at 12:05 AM.
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 11:37 PM   #3
Refplace

Anyone who is interested in having me post a copy on my site just include permission in your post.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 10:24 AM   #4
NorphTehDwarf

This thread might be useful. It's chock full of styles.
NorphTehDwarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 10:58 AM   #5
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorphTehDwarf View Post
This thread might be useful. It's chock full of styles.
Good link.
I put a link to it on my site for fan styles
My GURPS Wiki entries
Old 07-09-2012, 08:56 PM   #6
Lamech

Here's a Style I wrote up for this. Its what happens when you combine pragmatism with black magic.

Path of Ascension

History: The necromancer Ur-Thrum's research was what started this whole path. He complied a large number of spells, a method to cast Great Wish without the normal resources and most importantly discovered a process for creating what he called the Black Stones. Originally this was just the notes in Ur-Thrum's had produced from his research. Adventures stopped him before getting too far, and sold the books to the Mage's Guild. His notes where organized and the exact practical information teased out.

Analyzing Ur-Thrum's most developed list of spells it appears his plan was to establish a underground settlement of thralls, so the materials for the Black Stones could be produced. From their it appeared he would make the Black Stones, and learn Great Wish. Finally, he would have used Great Wish to gain limitless power. Worst of all, had he not been stopped when he was, he would have not needed to bother anyone again, and likely could have achieved limitless power before anyone would even realize he was still a danger.

All this would have stayed locked in a Mage's Guild basement, and did for a couple hundred years. Eventually though an mid-power wizard made copies of all the key spells, and the formula of the Black Stones, and traded them with a number of necromancers. From there the copies continued to spread, as either rival schools or guilds sought to get a copy, or people trying to obtain their power. Since people were always trying to steal them, it became common to copy the book in case of theft. Now the book while highly illegal in most places, there are enough people who want to be gods that the book has continued to spread and has shown up in the hands of far too many captured necromancers. Of course, the thing people fear is that one necromancer was missed and is now, buried three miles underground, already on the path to godhood.

The book itself is split into several sections. One section details the creation of the Black Stones. The other sections each detail a set of spells designed to help acquire establish the settlement for producing the raw materials for a Black Stone.

Required Skills: Alchemy
Required Spells: Steal Energy, Minor Healing, Lend Vitality, Lend Energy, Zombie, Summon Spirit, Death Vision, Restore Energy.
Required Advantages: Magery 0*
Perks: Shortcut to Power: Bless, Powerstone, Enchantment, Wish, Lesser Wish, Great Wish, Enslave, Secret Material (Black Stone), No Magic Ingredients (Great Wish, Lesser Wish, Wish)
Spells:
Path of Perseverance: Steal Youth, Youth, Age, Steal Vitality, Halt Aging, Major Healing, Relieve Sickness, Cure Disease, Restoration, Regeneration
Path of Sustenance: Essential Food, Create Food, Cook, Seek Food, Test Food, Season, Mature, Seek Fire, Create Fire, Seek Water, Purify Water, Create Water, Purify Air, Create Air,
Path of the Crop: Seek Plant, Identify Plant, Heal Plant, Bless Plants, Plant Growth, Blossom, Create Plant, Rejuvenate Plant, Essential Plant
Path of Settlement: Essential Earth, Create Earth, Earth To Stone, Stone to Earth, Shape Earth, Seek Earth, Stone Missile, Force Wall, Force Dome, Weather Dome, Apportation, Light, Continual Light
Optional Advantages: Increased Magery, Luck (Game Time)

Secret Material: The Black Stone
Description: This is what takes the magical style from a source of nasty warlocks to a serious threat to the world. By creating these anyone can posses the ability to learn Great Wish. Ur-Thrum discovered the process of creating the Black Stones from research into the Philosopher's Stone. To create or improve a Black Stone the would-be-god must have the correct perk, specific to the ability he wants to the stone to have.

Each Black Stone grants the holder a number of advantages, for as long as he or she carries it, and cannot be destroyed by any know means. The Black Stone can grant Improved IQ (magical -10%, Can be Stolen -20%), ATR (Enchantment only -60%, Can be Stonel -20%) Doesn't Sleep (Magical -10% Can be Stolen -20%) , ER (special recharge -70% Can be Stolen -20%). Thankfully though each person can only benefit from one of these Stones at a time.

To create a black stone, first he needs to have an alchemical laboratory. Then he needs to sacrifice a number of sapient beings equal to the character point value of the added advantage. Finally he needs to spend 100 hours per character point of the desired advantage working on creating the stone in the lab; however unlike normal alchemy he can spend as much time forging the stone as he wants a day, and may leave the process on hold for any amount of time, and come back as long as the lab remains intact. Finally he rolls alchemy-3 and on a success the Black Stone is created or is improved and now grants the desired advantage in addition to any other advantages previously held. Failure wastes the materials and time, and critical failure results as a normal critical failure as if brewing a normal alchemical potion.
Hiriko
Andrew

Last edited by Lamech; 07-09-2012 at 09:16 PM.
Lamech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 01:32 PM   #7
arnej

Tricksy Ways [12]

Tricksy Ways is the style of con-men, second-story artists and rogues of a magical flavor. It is certainly not combat-oriented, as combat usually means that the job has failed. Interestingly, it is structured based on how close you can get to the objective without being detected. The first level deals strictly with ‘casing the joint.’ Gathering intel, scouting out the terrain. The second level is intended for sneaking in and out. Spells of movement and stealth. The third and fourth levels allow for interaction with individuals, misdirecting or confusing the opposition. And the last deals with the ultimate challenge - bearding a mage in his own den.

This is best described as a Guild style. It is geared to the practical, rather than the theoretical, so the more esoteric Perks are beyond its purview. It’s designed by thieves and con-men to get the job done.

Style prerequisites: IQ 12+, DX 11+, Magery

Required Skills: Stealth, Fast Talk, Streetwise, Traps, Observation

Required spells: Apportation, Simple Illusion, Sound, Foolishness, Scryguard, Detect Magic

Level 1: Casing the joint (senses and the like)

1. [19] Spells: Keen Senses (0), Measurement (0), Sense Observation (1), Earth Vision (2), Alertness (2), Pathfinder (2) Seeker (2), Wizard Eye (2), Glass Wall (3), Far-Hearing (4), History (4), See Secrets (4), Images of the Past (6), Memorize (6), Projection (6), Wizard Ear (6), Mapmaker (9), Trace (3), Mystic Mark (5)
2. Skill: Intel Analysis
3. Perk: Periscope, Eye For Distance, Mundane Magic (Apportation for Pickpocket), Staff Bond, Spell Based on PER

Learning 9 Level 1 spells lets you move to level 2

Level 2: Getting in and out (movement and sneaking)

1. [22] Spells: Climbing (0), Night Vision (1), Levitation (1), Magelock (1), Wallwalker (1), Locksmith (1), Lockmaster (1), Hush (2), Dark Vision (2), Hide (2), Manipulate (2), Clean (2), Flight (2), Watchdog (2), Mage-Stealth (3), Mage Light (3), Blackout (3), Ethereal Body (4), Balance (4), Continual Mage Light (5), Invisibility (6), Create Door (10),
2. Skill: More Stealth
3. Perk: Climbing Line, Spell Based on DX

Learning 11 spells from level 2 lets you move to level 3

Level 3: Look Over There! (misdirection)

1. [14] Spells: Illusion Disguise (1), Illusion Shell (1), Independence (1), Complex Illusion (2), Perfect Illusion (3), Phantom (7), Alter Voice (8), Insignificance (8), Create Object (8), Create Servant (9), Initiative (9), Alter Visage (9), Alter Body (10), Duplicate (15)
2. Skill: Artist (Illusion)
3. Perk: Intuitive Illusionist,
4. Achieving level 3 also allows you to acquire levels of Night-Aspected Magery [6]

Learning 6 from level 3 lets you move to level 4

Level 4: Mind-games (befuddlement, con)

1. [19] Spells: Sense Foes (0), Aura (1), Daze (1), Forgetfulness (1), Sense Emotion (1), Flash (2), Hide Emotions (2), Sleep (2), Persuasion (2), Truthsayer (2), Emotion Control (3), Hide Thoughts (3), Converse (4), Avoid (4), Suggestion (5), False Memory (7), Charm (8), Mind Reading (3), Mind Search (4)
2. Skill: Detect Lies
3. Perk: Honest Face, Forgettable Face, Convincing Nod, Secret mage, Spell Based on Will, Spell Resistant (Truthsayer)

Learning 9 from level 4 lets you move to level 5

Level 5: Set a mage (meta, protection, dealing with magical protections)

1. [9] Spells: Scryfool (3), Remove Aura (14), False Aura (3), Counterspell (0), Mage Sense (1), Mage Sight (1), Identify Spell (1), Dispel Magic (13), Catch Spell (4), Displace Spell (10), Ward (0), Great Ward (1), Delay (18), Link (19), Maintain Spell (20), Hang Spell (19)
2. Skill: Thaumatology
3. Perk: Reduced Footprint, Secret mage

Secret Spell: Find Weakness - for the con artist, nothing is so valuable as knowing what makes the mark tick. This spell determines the general area of a mark’s weakness (Greed, Lust, Pride, etc.) A critical success gives more details. Available after mastering Mind Games

Secret Spell: Getaway - Like Rapid Journey, except you don’t teleport to your destination. You cast the spell, which creates an ‘anchor’ in a secure location. Then you penetrate the defenses of wherever it is you’re breaking into. If at any point you need to bug out, you make a spell roll and are immediately snapped back to your anchor. Available after mastering Getting In and Out

Secret Spell: Mirror Image - Creates a number of duplicate illusions of the subject, all of whom appear to attack whichever foe he targets. Retaliations are randomly targeted, so an attack may be directed at one of the illusions or the subject. The number of duplicates is based on the MoS of the spell roll. A successful casting creates one duplicate. For every point the spell roll was made by, an additional duplicate is created, up to 5. Available after mastering Look Over There!

Secret Spell: Locknar’s Edge - Like the Bless spell, Locknar’s Edge gives you the equivalent of a +1 Bless, with one major proviso. Unlike Bless, Locknar’s Edge only works at night, and dissipates at dawn. Hence, the cost to cast is only 6. Available after mastering Set a Mage.

Secret Spell: Floorplan. Prereqs: Mapmaker, Measurement. Magically generates a floorplan of a building. If the caster has See Secrets, then secret rooms/doors are shown as well. Cost is 4 per room, duration is 10 minutes. Long distance modifiers apply. If the spell is recast on an incomplete floorplan created by this spell, the caster can ‘pick up where he left off’ and continue the floorplan. Available after mastering Casing the Joint.
arnej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 01:35 PM   #8
Pragmatic
Ceci n'est pas une tag.

Weren't there a bunch of magical styles for some battle wizards in one of the Pyramids? Or am I misremembering the article?
Pragmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 02:47 PM   #9
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pragmatic View Post
Weren't there a bunch of magical styles for some battle wizards in one of the Pyramids? Or am I misremembering the article?
It was 1 Style from the quick once over I gave it. It had a lot of different types of units with the Society but they all used the same Magical Style.
My GURPS Wiki entries