Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 06-21-2018, 11:33 PM   #11
Rick_Smith

Default Re: Modular Death Test

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Rice View Post
OK. Here's an example I thought up but haven't had a chance to playtest. It was designed to give my puny Goblin archers a bit more bite. Any comments appreciated.

The Goblin River ...
Hi Chris,
A nice room, but the details of how you climb in and out of the river, exactly what the saving throws are, etc. need to be defined. I love interesting terrain, but it needs to be carefully described.

Warm regards, Rick.
Rick_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 12:17 AM   #12
zot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jackson View Post
The most transportable designs would be on a MELEE or WIZARD map, though parts could be designated as blocked off.
Huh. I seem just to have posted editable Melee and Wizard maps. How about that...
zot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 06:27 AM   #13
Chris Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jackson View Post
I will happily look, with the caveat: Please don't post anything unless you are giving me permission to use it, with proper credit given, of course.

The most transportable designs would be on a MELEE or WIZARD map, though parts could be designated as blocked off.

Sometime, on some map, I want a tavern named the Sullen Fish.
Of course you can use anything I post on these forums Steve, with pleasure. Perhaps any characters swept away by the underground river will wash up at the "Sullen Fish."
Chris Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 06:31 AM   #14
Chris Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_Smith View Post
Hi Chris,
A nice room, but the details of how you climb in and out of the river, exactly what the saving throws are, etc. need to be defined. I love interesting terrain, but it needs to be carefully described.

Warm regards, Rick.
Rick, I'm not used to writing rules or scenarios for others to read, my personal notes would be a lot briefer than this! The river is only knee-deep, so I'd expect characters to wade into it. They can only enter one water hex per turn requiring a 3d6 DEX roll to avoid falling with the consequences noted. What other information do you think is missing, bearing in mind I didn't want the room description to be longer than a single page?
Old 06-22-2018, 11:36 AM   #15
Rick_Smith

Quote:
Rick, I'm not used to writing rules or scenarios for others to read, my personal notes would be a lot briefer than this! The river is only knee-deep, so I'd expect characters to wade into it. They can only enter one water hex per turn requiring a 3d6 DEX roll to avoid falling with the consequences noted. What other information do you think is missing, bearing in mind I didn't want the room description to be longer than a single page?
Hi Chris,
I had got the impression that the water was a lot deeper (being swept away ...) made it sound like they wouldn't have time to stand up again. If the water and the bank is knee high, then special rules for climbing out are not needed.

If the water is only knee deep, it might be better to say that if they fall, they are swept 4 hexes down stream, then they get a 3vsDX to stand up. If they go off the map, they have gone over a waterfall, and can't get back.

I'm not entirely comfortable that blowing one DX roll eliminates them from the entire adventure.

Nice work.

Warm regards, Rick.
Old 06-22-2018, 01:15 PM   #16
JLV

Quote:
OK. Here's an example I thought up but haven't had a chance to playtest. It was designed to give my puny Goblin archers a bit more bite. Any comments appreciated.

The Goblin River

The room is the standard 13 megahex Melee map. The characters must enter on one (short) side of the map and must leave on the other.

When the characters enter, they hear the sound of running water. Cutting across the room and filling the 3 central megahexes, is a fast flowing stream. The far side of the room is covered by debris and shadow. If the characters take time to investigate, they will find that the floor near the water is slippery with weed and slime. Probing the water with a long object will reveal that the water is about knee-deep but very fast flowing. It is acceptable to tell the players that it is slippery and very dangerous to cross (3d roll).

Any character entering one of the water hexes must make a 3d roll v DEX. If they fail the roll, they fall and are swept along by the current and out of the room to an unknown fate. They can only attempt to enter one water hex each turn. They may not Dodge whilst entering or leaving a tee hex.

Waiting in the shadows on the other side of the room are the Goblin guards. They have been told they must prevent intruders getting through this room at all costs.

Goblins ST9 DX10 MA10, Club 1d6, Short Bow 1d6-1, no armour. There will be 1 Goblin for each character in the adventuring party.

The Goblins will wait until at least one of the characters has begun to cross the river before they attack. Their tactics are as follows:

As soon as a character has entered a water hex, they will all open fire on that character with their short bows hoping to overcome them with many arrows. They will continue this tactic until a heavily armoured character (3 or more points of armour) manages to cross. At this point they will drop their bows, draw their clubs and charge that character. If the adventurers use Missile weapons the Goblins will either remain totally behind cover or return fire from partial cover which gives anyone shooting at them -2DX. Which option they choose will be up to the GM but should be aimed at giving them maximum advantage.

If the players think to send a character across secured to a rope that will not prevent the character falling, but will prevent them being swept away. They can regain their feet next turn and continue.

The players may think of removing their armour or another innovative tactics. It will be up to the GM to decide on the efficacy of these ideas.
Welp, that kills my idea! ;-)

I wanted to do something very similar, except my room was going to be knee-deep in water everywhere (1/2 MA, DX-2 -- AM, p.19) in order to give the puny Goblin archers an even break! The big difference would be that the Goblins begin attacking immediately upon the party entering the water room... Of course, if anyone in the party is equipped with a bow or a Missile Spell, the puny Goblin archers are still in a world of hurt (since there isn't any DX subtraction if you stand still). You could also throw in a pillar or two to make the tactical maneuvering more interesting. (Certainly, if you want to use anything I offer up, you are more than welcome to do so, Steve.)
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 01:31 PM   #17
Rick_Smith

Default Room of walls and thorns.

Steve Jackson can use these ideas freely, in exchange for acknowledgement of my work. (signed) Richard W. Smith.

Map & Terrain:
This is a melee map sized room that is about 1/4 walls, & 1/4 thorn brush. The players come in at the short end, and must cross the room. The walls are slightly more dense at the far side of the room, most forming small groups of 1, 2 or 3 walls.

There is dry thorn brush scattered around the room (but within 2 Mega hexes of the player's entry end there is none). There is a 5 hex brush counter, a 4 hex counter, a straight 3 hex thorn counter, 2 x 3 hex (bent) thorn counters, 3 x 2 hex thorns and 4 x single hex thorn counters. These are scattered in such a way that the there are crooked paths through the room that don't have thorns or walls in them.

The ceiling is at least 5 yards high.

Enemy:
There are as many spearmen as players, plus one leader. They start at the opposite side of the room.

Spearmen: ST 11, DX 13 (12), IQ 9, MA 10, cloth armor. Special Talents: Thrown Weapons. Weapons: Dagger, Spear, shoulder quiver with 3 javelins in it. The leader is identical, except he has a DX of 14 (13) and the Slow Missiles magic item, described below.

Spear men tactics:
The spear men will spread out, hoping to surround the players, or have multiple attacks on a single figure (say one charge and a couple poke attacks). They will charge attack, and if engaged, they may throw javelins at bowmen or wizards if that makes sense. Note that with Thrown Weapons talent, they get +2 DX when throwing weapons, and they can ready and throw a javelin one handed, in a single turn, while still keeping the spear ready. A spearman may decide to ready a javelin and use it, if the terrain is bad.

Suggested player strategy. The players should charge forward and engage the spearmen in the far end of the room (which has more walls and thorn brush), as that area makes the spears more difficult to use, than in the relatively open area nearer the player's start side. Retreat spearmen into awkward places where it is hard to use their weapons properly.

Rules for Thorn Brush:
Moving into a thorn brush costs 3 MA, leaving it costs 2 extra MA (clingy).
Attacking out of a Thorn Brush is at -2 DX and it is considered to be rough ground. Missiles shot thru thorn brush are at -2 DX per hex of thorns. Pole weapons poking thru thorns are also at -2 DX.
A fire hex will destroy a thorn brush in 6 turns (if dry) or 10 turns (if wet). If hacked with a sword or ax, the brush has 4 points of armor (flexes with blow) and can take 18 points of damage before being destroyed.

Rules for Long Pole Weapons in tight Quarters:
If a pole weapon attacks you, and the hex directly opposite has a bad obstacle (a wall or an figure hostile to the pole weapon user), the pole weapon attack is at -6 DX.

If a pole weapon attacks you, and the hex directly opposite to you, has a moderate obstacle (brush, thorns, figures friendly to the pole weapon user), then the pole weapon attack is at -4 DX.

(Note that a crouching figure is not considered an obstacle to a long pole weapon.)

Note that Spears (and longer pole weapons) are considered long pole weapons but Javelins are not.

Treasure:
Slow Missiles (-4) Ring: Any thrown weapon or missiles fired at the person wearing this ring are slowed: they do 4 fewer points of damage. (This item does not affect Missile spells.) This item must be paid for, 1 fatigue ST spent per 3 turns it operates. The item is LIMITED to people working for the Thorsz or people taking his combat tests. The ring also has an EXPUNGE which will erase all enchantments if any enchantments are removed from the ring.

There is a gold bar in the room.

Post script. This battle is designed so that moving one hex can have a huge impact on the danger level. It is a room designed to showcase maneuver and the tactic of retreating figures. The players will have a very tough time if they sit still and turtle, they are far better to rush forward and engage the spearmen, even if it breaks up their standard formation.

Warm regards, Rick.

Last edited by Rick_Smith; 06-29-2018 at 07:43 AM. Reason: Better word choice.
Old 06-24-2018, 03:02 AM   #18
Chris Rice

Rick, that looks nice. I'm away on business for a week but look forward to trying it out once I get back. Thanks.
Old 06-29-2018, 07:18 AM   #19
Rick_Smith

Default Arquebus Room.

Steve Jackson can use these ideas freely, in exchange for acknowledgement of my work. (signed) Richard W. Smith.

It is assumed that the Thorsz wants tough fighters, say 36 to 38 attributes with good fighting talents. This room is designed to give them a real challenge! :-D

Map & Terrain:
This is a melee map sized room that is open, there is no terrain. Players can retreat freely from either exit.

Enemy:
There are two goblins armed with loaded Arquebuses which set up at the opposite side of the room from where the PC's enter. If there are 3 PC's add a crossbow goblin. If there are 4 PC's add another crossbow goblin.

Arquebus Goblin: ST 6, DX 14, IQ 10, MA 10, no armour. Special Talents: Missile Weapons, Guns. Weapons: Dagger, Arquebus, 3d+3. Missile weapons give them an extra +3 DX when firing. Since they have a stand set up and the weapon is braced, they get +4 DX.

Crossbow Goblin: ST 12, DX 8, IQ 10, MA 10, no armour. Special Talents: Missile Weapons. Light Crossbow does 2d damage. Missile weapons give them an extra +3 DX when firing. These goblins will start in a prone position with the crossbow braced on a sand bag. Therefore they get a +2 DX.

Goblin tactics:
They will fire at the players, (then stand up if they have crossbows), ready daggers and fight to the death. Remember that when a gun powder weapon fires, the attacker must roll 1d6. On a 6 the gunpowder fails and the gun misfires.

Suggested player strategy:
The players should dodge. Or simply run away (after all, these are 30 attribute goblins and the players have no cover).

Treasure:
Due to the extraordinary danger of this room, there are 4 gold bars.

post script:
The main thing to learn from this room is that it is best to pick your fights. There is no shame in running from goblins armed with TFT's sniper rifles. A discussion of Arquebuses will follow in a separate post.

Warm regards, Rick.

Last edited by Rick_Smith; 06-29-2018 at 08:05 AM.
Old 06-29-2018, 07:38 AM   #20
Rick_Smith

Default Thoughts on Arquebus.

Hi all,
The primitive gun powder weapons were fired at formation of men at (say) 25 to 100 yards. A contemporary considered the gun to get a 'hit' if it hit any one of 100 men in the opposing company. The idea of firing at an individual at such ranges is preposterous.

JLV said in another post:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLV View Post
... Along about the time of the Seven Years War ... Frederick the Great decided to test the overall shot accuracy of his infantry. This would be in the 1750's or 60's, so he tested with a much more advanced bit of weaponry than the Arquebus and Blunderbuss included in the game.

He had a battalion of Infantry line up in line formation in order to engage in musketry. The target was a solid fence of wood, six feet tall, the same length on the ground as the Battalion occupied. Since it was solid, that meant it was actually easier to hit than a real battalion lined up across the field would have been (people have spaces between them, even when standing shoulder to shoulder).

At a range of 100 yards, less than 10% of the balls fired at the target actually hit the wood. ... And, incredibly, at 25 yards, the number of hits was still only around 75-80%. ...
You can read his full post here...
http://forums.sjgames.com/showpost.p...6&postcount=25

I've been reading the excellent "Richard Sharpe" novels by Bernard Cornwell, which follow this infantryman from 1799 to 1821. (About 200 years after the Arquebus. The weapons he was facing are more accurate than the TFT weapon.)

Richard Sharpe was little concerned when someone aimed a smooth bore musket at him from 20 yards since he knew the odds were good that he would be missed. (At 10 yards he was worried.)

Smooth bore weapons are extraordinarily inaccurate. I think it is ridiculous that a primitive smooth bore gun is TFT's most accurate missile weapon.

Historically smooth bore weapons were so inaccurate, that some men would not fire them until they had pushed the weapon against the enemies' belly.

I think that the rules should be changed thus:
-- Missile Weapons talent does not work with guns, unless the gun is rifled.
-- A braced Arquebus should get +2 DX, (like a braced crossbow).
-- Smooth bore guns should use the Thrown Weapons range penalties to DX, rather than Missile Weapon range penalties.

OPTIONAL RULE: If you wish, primitive rifling (which did exist at the time of the Arquebus but was very rare), gives them a -1 DX per Megahex range penalty. Primitive rifling is not enough to allow the Missile Weapons talent to work with that gun.

Currently (if the arquebusier has Missile Weapons and can use the 'Long Range Missile Fire' rules on page AM 25), they can be used as hyper accurate sniper rifles, which I think is not ideal.

Try the Arquebus room above with the regular TFT rules, and then with my suggested rules in this post.

Warm regards, Rick.

Last edited by Rick_Smith; 06-29-2018 at 08:29 AM.