Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 06-20-2018, 05:31 AM   #1
Chris Rice

Default Blank Figure Bases - Kickstarter?

Introduced a new player to Melee last night. They're not really a game player and their initial thoughts were that it was too complicated. However, once we started, they got right into things and narrowly survived my wicked 3-room Dungeon.

We played with D&D minis on Heroscape hex-tiles and the newbie mentioned something that had never occurred to me. "It's hard for me to tell which way my mini is facing with these circular bases."

I'm so used to this that I never notice, I just go with where the head is facing, but I did see their point. Obviously, with the square counters to come in the KS, this won't be a problem. But for us miniature gamers it could be.

Now, I'm not interested in re-basing all of my minis, but here's a thought; what if the KS could offer blank plastic bases in various sizes, 1 hex, 2 hex, 3 hex etc. I could then just blu-tac my figures on the appropriate base when playing Melee and easily remove them afterwards.

Would anyone one else be interested in this?
Chris Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 05:38 AM   #2
pyratejohn

Default Re: Blank Figure Bases - Kickstarter?

For one-hex figures I'd be moderately interested, though I think everyone in my group has gotten used to facing rules from playing GURPS for many years.

For multi-hex figures I think they'd be a little more useful, especially for those big dragons.
Old 06-20-2018, 10:11 AM   #3
Skarg

One of several reasons I don't use miniatures (I almost always stick to TFT-style counters) is that the facing can be ambiguous. Hex bases (or bases that have an arrow pointing to official Front) can solve that issue.

I think they'd be a great product to have available... whether it makes sense for SJ to sell them themselves, or just provide pointers to where to find them. I wouldn't use them myself, but Kickstarters can have options so people who want them can get them. I don't know enough about them to know if there's any value in having official ones for TFT, or if people should just be told where they can get ones that fit the combat maps.

It does seem valuable to make the hexes the right size so that some available mini bases that show facing work well with the hex size in actual play, even when you have a mob of people all adjacent to each other, changing facing each turn, dead bodies and people in HTH laying around, etc.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 12:56 PM   #4
Rick_Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Rice View Post
Introduced a new player to Melee last night. ...

Now, I'm not interested in re-basing all of my minis, but here's a thought; what if the KS could offer blank plastic bases in various sizes, 1 hex, 2 hex, 3 hex etc. I could then just blu-tac my figures on the appropriate base when playing Melee and easily remove them afterwards. ...
Hi everyone, Chris.
I bought GURPS: Dungeon Fantasy and the little plastic bases had a tiny triangle to show which way it was facing. However, the small black on black triangle was too hard to see, so I put a little blob of white paint on each, which helped a lot.

If you have dark green bases could a tiny splotch of light green serve?

Warm regards, Rick.
Rick_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 01:15 PM   #5
Chris Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_Smith View Post
Hi everyone, Chris.
I bought GURPS: Dungeon Fantasy and the little plastic bases had a tiny triangle to show which way it was facing. However, the small black on black triangle was too hard to see, so I put a little blob of white paint on each, which helped a lot.

If you have dark green bases could a tiny splotch of light green serve?

Warm regards, Rick.
Hey Rick, that's a great idea and would save a lot of hassle. Thanks!
Chris Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 01:24 PM   #6
tbeard1999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Rice View Post
Hey Rick, that's a great idea and would save a lot of hassle. Thanks!
I do that as well. I've bought a megaton of Paizo Pawns (i.e. very nice cardboard heroes) and also intend to number the bases with a rub-on letter or a tiny numbered sticker.
tbeard1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 01:58 PM   #7
Groknard

As long as the subject has come up, I wouldn't mind the team considering some inclusion of the Cardboard Heroes and Bases (if the sizes match) into the TFT Kickstarter. I don't know if that would blur the line between TFT and GURPS and DFRPG too much, from a product standpoint. But I've been using the original CH sets for TFT and many other FRPGs since the 80s. The "new and improved" for DFRPG are just fantastic (love the bases), a real bonus to that game.
Old 06-20-2018, 02:03 PM   #8
tbeard1999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groknard View Post
As long as the subject has come up, I wouldn't mind the team considering some inclusion of the Cardboard Heroes and Bases (if the sizes match) into the TFT Kickstarter. I don't know if that would blur the line between TFT and GURPS and DFRPG too much, from a product standpoint. But I've been using the original CH sets for TFT and many other FRPGs since the 80s. The "new and improved" for DFRPG are just fantastic (love the bases), a real bonus to that game.
I see no problem with TFT being interoperable with GURPS accessories. In the days of old, many supplements came with stats for multiple systems. The original Thieves World module by Chaosium includes stats for AD&D, TFT, Runequest, T&T (I think) and even Traveller (!).

It would also have the advantage of making a lot of accessories immediately available to TFT purchasers.
tbeard1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 05:59 PM   #9
Groknard

It occurred to me that the CHs for DFRPG were geared toward the adventure for that. How cool would it be if TFT CHs were part of the stretch goal for Tollenkar's Lair? That would help narrow and define the set, and perhaps be a part of published adventures in the future (if they happen).
Old 06-21-2018, 02:56 AM   #10
schoon

Once the official hex size gets set, it might be fun to do clear acrylic 1, 3, and 4-hex bases for minis.
schoon is offline   Reply With Quote