Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V. > Ogre Scenarios

Closed Thread

Old 08-13-2015, 11:11 AM   #1
Jen

Default Scenario Contest #12- Footrace!

We had to postpone last week's posting due to flooding in our Austin offices, but we're back today and it's a race to the finish in Footrace!

I'll leave this thread open until October 12, so you've got time to lace up your boots and find some friends to play with!

The thread for Scenario #6, Wounded Company, is closing August 17, so if you've got comments, now's the time!

Jen
Old 08-13-2015, 01:40 PM   #2
JLV

Default Re: Scenario Contest #12- Footrace!

I like this scenario. It's rare to see something specific to a particular unit type. And this one is very well done. Seems like someone spent some time balancing the play on this one. I've only run through it once, so that's tentative, but I'm liking it a lot.

One of the things common in war is that there are never enough resources to go around, so you scrape and scrimp and pray you've got enough to get the job done. This kind of scenario demonstrates that reality very well.
Old 08-13-2015, 03:38 PM   #3
rjg173

Town: 3-hex (x6), 2-hex (x6), 1-hex (x1) Damaged Town: 3-hex (x6), 2-hex (x6)

Tip for placing overlays: Place all the 3-hex overlays first, especially the four 3-hex towns across the top.

Aren't there six 3-hex towns?
Old 08-13-2015, 08:54 PM   #4
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjg173 View Post
Town: 3-hex (x6), 2-hex (x6), 1-hex (x1) Damaged Town: 3-hex (x6), 2-hex (x6)

Tip for placing overlays: Place all the 3-hex overlays first, especially the four 3-hex towns across the top.

Aren't there six 3-hex towns?
This might be a common problem with the scenario descriptions; they don't have pictures. Is there a picture that shows placement that can be added to the webpage?
Old 08-13-2015, 09:46 PM   #5
wsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranitePenguin View Post
This might be a common problem with the scenario descriptions; they don't have pictures. Is there a picture that shows placement that can be added to the webpage?
Even listing hex numbers would be a big improvement.
Old 08-14-2015, 02:47 AM   #6
sgbeal

"on the turn after any Paneuropean unit crosses the crater row marked by the arrows on the side of the map (the same line used to separate the North and Central areas of the Ogre map)"

fwiw, that description _only_ works with the 6E Ogre board. No other editions have those markers (which incidentally led to me giving the defenders one row too few to set up in for more than 20 years, as i misinterpreted the description of "the line"). i recommend adding hex numbers to that: "... after any Paneuropean unit crosses into a hex where the the last two digits are 16 or lower..." (or similar).
Old 08-14-2015, 02:53 AM   #7
sgbeal

Back to the topic of consistency of team colors: this is the first scenario i recall which uses only team names, and not color designations. That approach appeals to me, as it entirely eliminates all of the various "color connotation problems." Historically (pre-6E) scenarios use "Paneuropean (White)... Combine (Black)...", but now that i see just the names, without the colors, that seems like a better approach.
Old 08-14-2015, 02:55 AM   #8
sgbeal

Horribly pedantic nitpick:

"Infantry may not ride in the trucks; they are already full with supplies."

is that the trucks or the infantry who are full with supplies? (It might seem obvious, but that was the first question which sprang to mind upon reading it.) Suggested rewording:

"Infantry may not ride in the supply-laden trucks."
Old 08-14-2015, 03:01 AM   #9
sgbeal

"Victory is based on number of surviving trucks, not victory points"

that is contradicted in the victory level list, as most of the levels add surviving infantry counts to the determination. Suggested rewording:

"Victory is primarily based on number of surviving trucks, not victory points"

or

"Victory is based on number of surviving trucks and infantry, not victory points"

or (more accurately)

"Victory is based on number of Paneuropean units which escape off the North edge of the map"

Speaking of:

"Maps Ogre Map, North half only"

seems to be contradicted a few lines up:

"Paneuropean: 18 strength points of Infantry and 10 trucks. All units may enter anywhere along the south edge of the Map."

(and why is Map capitalized?)

i haven't played it yet, but this one's simplicity and unit limitations is refreshing.
Old 08-14-2015, 08:54 AM   #10
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgbeal View Post
"on the turn after any Paneuropean unit crosses the crater row marked by the arrows on the side of the map (the same line used to separate the North and Central areas of the Ogre map)"

fwiw, that description _only_ works with the 6E Ogre board. No other editions have those markers (which incidentally led to me giving the defenders one row too few to set up in for more than 20 years, as i misinterpreted the description of "the line"). i recommend adding hex numbers to that: "... after any Paneuropean unit crosses into a hex where the the last two digits are 16 or lower..." (or similar).
To be fair, this is a scenario contest for ODE, so that isn't an inappropriate description; it also doesn't have the arrows as the only way to understand where the line is. Calling it a "crater row" and the parenthesized portion containing "separate the North and Central areas" should be sufficient to describe the line for any version. Hex numbers would also work (looks like it would be hexes ending in 07, btw). I guess the question is what is more cumbersome to read/understand?
Closed Thread