Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-28-2014, 03:16 PM   #1
phayman53

Default Help making an innate attack

I was wondering if it is possible in RAW to make this melee attack:

A Cosmic (Irresistible) Burning Attack tied to striking with a weapon. The weapon is just equipment and the attacker has to take a ready maneuver to cover the blade in cosmic flame and doing so costs FP. Once done, the flame stays as long as the wielder wants it to/holds the weapon, but each successful attack costs the same amount of FP as activating the power because the spent flame is replaced.

The main parts that I need help with are:

1) Follow-up does not seem to work as Cosmic (Irresistible) is also a penetration modifier. I would use link, but the weapon attack is not an innate attack, it is just a normal melee attack and I would rather leave it that way because I want this to be an attack that could imbue whatever weapon the wielder is holding. What modifier should I use?

2) I am not sure how to model needing to take a ready maneuver that costs FP to activate the flame.

Thanks!
phayman53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 03:25 PM   #2
Nereidalbel

Default Re: Help making an innate attack

A 50% Cosmic functiions as a Universal Follow-Up. You can combine that with Irresistable.

For part 2, Requires Ready and Costs FP.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 03:27 PM   #3
McAllister

Do you have Power Ups 1: Imbuements? What you're describing sounds an awful lot like an slightly modified Imbuement skill.

Otherwise, try this:

Innate Attack (Burning) Xd
Enhancement: Cosmic (Irresistible)
Limitations: Costs FP, Follow-Up [I think you can use this for a sword], Maximum Duration, Melee Attack

Every advantage that's not a fixed feature like Extra Arms can be turned on and off with a Ready maneuver: that's not a big deal. The only thing here that requires a little handwavium is putting the Costs FP on both switching it on (so that the Maximum Duration starts ticking) and attacking with it, so the solution is probably to double the value of Costs FP (actually, the value of it should be doubled anyway, but that's a separate issue).
McAllister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 04:30 PM   #4
phayman53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereidalbel View Post
A 50% Cosmic functiions as a Universal Follow-Up. You can combine that with Irresistable.
Thank you for your reply. Does it say somewhere in RAW that a 50% Cosmic functions as a universal follow-up, or is this an inference from the broad nature of Cosmic?

Quote:
For part 2, Requires Ready and Costs FP.
It looks to me like Requires Ready is for each use, not to switch something on and off. Is there something I am missing?

Please note, I do not have any of the Power-Ups supplements, for powers like innate attacks, I am working completely from Basic and Powers (I also have Fantasy and Magic, but I have not checked yet if there is anything relevant in those).
Old 05-28-2014, 04:41 PM   #5
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Originally Posted by phayman53 View Post
Thank you for your reply. Does it say somewhere in RAW that a 50% Cosmic functions as a universal follow-up, or is this an inference from the broad nature of Cosmic?

It looks to me like Requires Ready is for each use, not to switch something on and off. Is there something I am missing?

Please note, I do not have any of the Power-Ups supplements, for powers like innate attacks, I am working completely from Basic and Powers (I also have Fantasy and Magic, but I have not checked yet if there is anything relevant in those).
The Cosmic is in Power-Ups 1: Imbuements. So, yes, RAW.
Old 05-28-2014, 04:45 PM   #6
phayman53

Quote:
Originally Posted by McAllister View Post
Do you have Power Ups 1: Imbuements? What you're describing sounds an awful lot like an slightly modified Imbuement skill.
If only I could afford to spend all the money I want to on GURPS supplements, SJGames would LOVE me... I think Imbuments sounds exactly like what I am trying to do.

Quote:
Otherwise, try this:

Innate Attack (Burning) Xd
Enhancement: Cosmic (Irresistible)
Limitations: Costs FP, Follow-Up [I think you can use this for a sword], Maximum Duration, Melee Attack
It is allowed with a weapon, but I am pretty sure that Follow-Up is specifically disallowed for use with Cosmic (Irresistible Attack), though I am tempted just to hand-wave it and say this is a special exception. I would rather not though. I guess since Follow-Up is a 0% modifier for use with a natural weapon, it probably also is with a melee weapon and therefore it really may not make a difference, though I am not even sure what the official modifier should be for a follow-up attached to a melee weapon, nothing specifically says.

Also, what is the Maximum Duration for in this build? Is this to simulate the power only staying active while the weapon is held? If so, what is the value of that because I cannot find that option in Powers?

Quote:
Every advantage that's not a fixed feature like Extra Arms can be turned on and off with a Ready maneuver: that's not a big deal. The only thing here that requires a little handwavium is putting the Costs FP on both switching it on (so that the Maximum Duration starts ticking) and attacking with it, so the solution is probably to double the value of Costs FP (actually, the value of it should be doubled anyway, but that's a separate issue).
Is there a spot that you can point to in one of the books that says every advantage that's not a fixed feature can be turned on and off with a Ready maneuver? I agree that this should be the case, but I am not able to find anywhere that says so.

Thanks for your help!
Old 05-28-2014, 04:48 PM   #7
phayman53

Quote:
The Cosmic is in Power-Ups 1: Imbuements. So, yes, RAW.
Ah, well that is why I missed it. It is sounding more and more like if I want to do anything with this concept, I will have to buy Power-Ups 1. Is this something that would be added to the +300% Cosmic (Irresistible Attack) modifier to make it +350%, or is it like in Powers where a Cosmic Power Source is +50%, but counts as the first +50% of any other Cosmic power modifier?

Thanks for such a quick response!

Edit: Well, the answer to my question is contained in the sample portion of the Power-Ups 1 pdf, it is part of the +300% to ignore defenses, but the rest of the way the system works is in the rest of the pdf. Guess I will have to add it to my wish list...

Last edited by phayman53; 05-28-2014 at 04:55 PM.
Old 05-28-2014, 05:48 PM   #8
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Originally Posted by phayman53 View Post
Ah, well that is why I missed it. It is sounding more and more like if I want to do anything with this concept, I will have to buy Power-Ups 1. Is this something that would be added to the +300% Cosmic (Irresistible Attack) modifier to make it +350%, or is it like in Powers where a Cosmic Power Source is +50%, but counts as the first +50% of any other Cosmic power modifier?

Thanks for such a quick response!

Edit: Well, the answer to my question is contained in the sample portion of the Power-Ups 1 pdf, it is part of the +300% to ignore defenses, but the rest of the way the system works is in the rest of the pdf. Guess I will have to add it to my wish list...
You can list Cosmic enhancements as separate lines OR a single, massive modifier. Either way, the total is the same.