Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars

Old 08-23-2015, 05:57 PM   #1
Aigol

Default Starting out in Car Wars

I am looking on Warehouse and can't figure out the differences between car wars classic and car wars Deluxe edition? Are they completely different or is it worth getting both of them? Or of the two which should I get?
Aigol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 01:48 AM   #2
TamsinP

Default Re: Starting out in Car Wars

Deluxe has the Compendium rules which covers a wide range of vehicle types, plus equipment and weapons.

Classic is a slimmed down version with some minor changes and only covers electric powered cars, bikes and trikes. The equipment and weapon options are also reduced in scope.

The basic mechanics are the same for both.

There is also 5th edition, where the mechanics are slightly altered and which lacks an official vehicle design system and only has cars. It's designed at 3X scale (1:60; Hotwheels scale). There are 9 books (each containing the rules) - these have the titles "Division X, Set Y - aaaaa vs bbbbb"; and two supplements - Division 5 Vehicle Guide, and Arena Book 1.

For 5th edition there is a thread on this forum where folks have reverse engineered the designs to come up with a vehicle design system.
TamsinP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 08:39 AM   #3
Magesmiley

Start with Classic. It is a subset of what is in the Compendium/Deluxe version and less to have to grapple with if you are new to the game.

There is some discussion about the products in this thread that might be helpful.

Watch your handling and remember to Drive Offensively!
Magesmiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 01:28 PM   #4
Blue Ghost

What the others said. Classic CW is cars and bikes (maybe vans and pickups too, but I can't recall) with basic weapons; machine guns, anti--tank guns, rockets, smoke screens and such.

Deluxe brings in all the other supplements that were published over the ten year period of the 80s; semi-trucks, delivery vans, boats, tanks and a whole slew of equipment, half of which I can't even remember .... smoke grenades? Incendiary ammo? Twin lasers, and other goodies, gadgets and gizmos.

I'd stick with basic Car Wars, learn the ropes, see if you and your friends like the game, and if so, then graduate to the deluxe version.

Good luck and have fun. >:)
Blue Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 10:34 AM   #5
brionl

Use the Car Wars Combat Garage to make your cars. Not only does it give a convenient print out, it reduces the number of math errors.
"Oh, I forgot to add in the weight of ammo for my weapons? My bad."

http://carwars.opentools.org/
brionl is offline   Reply With Quote