Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars

Old 06-10-2015, 01:52 PM   #201
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Default Re: Car Wars Arenas - Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Goodwin View Post
You can keep calling them by the old names if you want. Even cross off the names on the map sheets and write in the old ones. The Gaming Police aren't going to come take away your dice or anything...
This is also a great point. The Sears Tower hasn't been officially named that in years, yet I never hear anyone call it by its current name. The same goes for various arenas around the country. The name may change, but it's often the old name that keeps being used regardless.
Old 06-10-2015, 07:09 PM   #202
Tanis Frey

Sounds like that the SGJ games should do a bit of back story on each of the arenas. It should have the original name, who bough the naming rights and what year the arena's name changed.
Tanis Frey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 07:56 PM   #203
MattV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanis Frey View Post
Sounds like that the SGJ games should do a bit of back story on each of the arenas. It should have the original name, who bough the naming rights and what year the arena's name changed.
I don't agree at all with this.

Maybe I haven't seen it, but it would be interesting to hear why the people bought the rights and made the name change. But from the names selected, I don't think some of them should become CW lore. Maybe they should earn that other than paying a few bucks and be quick to submit a pledge.
MattV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 07:58 PM   #204
MattV

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranitePenguin View Post
As for issues with naming rights, I can only guess that folks are upset because _they_ didn't get to name them (by survey or committee or whatever) because they didn't (or more likely couldn't) pledge at that level and somehow feel left out and don't like the names, etc.
That isn't it at all.

Picture having an auction to rename the Mona Lisa. Then some dude that doesn't like art names it the "I dig chicks and I'm cool".

I don't remember what most of the arenas were renamed to, so I'm not saying all of them were bad. But at least a few were suspect.

Last edited by MattV; 06-10-2015 at 08:01 PM.
Old 06-10-2015, 08:32 PM   #205
wolf90

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranitePenguin View Post
This is also a great point. The Sears Tower hasn't been officially named that in years, yet I never hear anyone call it by its current name. The same goes for various arenas around the country. The name may change, but it's often the old name that keeps being used regardless.
I actually feel a little sorry for the one who ended up renaming 'Harshman'. Just as many have mentioned (Candlestick, Sears Tower, etc.), the old names tend to stick, and stick well. No disrespect at all to "Lord British's Origin Arena", and I'm happy for him to have the opportunity, but it will always be 'The Harshman' for me and mine…

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattV View Post
Maybe I haven't seen it, but it would be interesting to hear why the people bought the rights and made the name change. But from the names selected, I don't think some of them should become CW lore. Maybe they should earn that other than paying a few bucks and be quick to submit a pledge.
THIS would be very interesting to me as well. And the reason could be as simple as "That's what my 3 year old wanted". But the thought, and if applicable, history implied, that each sponsor brought to the choice of the name would be great to learn. If not as a part of the 'official' CW Classic world, then at least as a post here on the forums. Perhaps as a new thread, sponsors?

D.
Proud sponsor of Ogre KS $4.5k Sheet #3 - Bringing the Vatican Guard, a Tiger-striped mercenary unit, and of course pink GEVs, to a game near you! Orders may be placed here.
wolf90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 09:12 PM   #206
MattV

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf90 View Post
THIS would be very interesting to me as well. And the reason could be as simple as "That's what my 3 year old wanted". But the thought, and if applicable, history implied, that each sponsor brought to the choice of the name would be great to learn. If not as a part of the 'official' CW Classic world, then at least as a post here on the forums. Perhaps as a new thread, sponsors?

D.
I'd hope some of them had more thought than "my 3 year old wanted", but I could even consider that ok possibly.

I hope some of the arena names would have some thought behind it. Maybe some reason that fit the bidders history, that also melded with the previous Car Wars history. I hope some real thought was put into it that would enhance the legend of those arenas and would carry a good story going forward in the lore.

Otherwise..... I get out large black marker. And cross over the name on the map, and then write the old name in....
Old 06-10-2015, 10:37 PM   #207
MattV

Quote:
I actually feel a little sorry for the one who ended up renaming 'Harshman'. Just as many have mentioned (Candlestick, Sears Tower, etc.), the old names tend to stick, and stick well. No disrespect at all to "Lord British's Origin Arena", and I'm happy for him to have the opportunity, but it will always be 'The Harshman' for me and mine…

D.
Someone named the Harshman the "Lord British Original Arena"?

WTH??????

That's pretty funny actually......good one mate.....

But yea...... it will still be the Harshman to me.
Old 06-10-2015, 10:49 PM   #208
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
That isn't it at all.

Picture having an auction to rename the Mona Lisa. Then some dude that doesn't like art names it the "I dig chicks and I'm cool".

I don't remember what most of the arenas were renamed to, so I'm not saying all of them were bad. But at least a few were suspect.
Yeah, reading more it became obvious the issue is primarily being offended by mucking with history or the classics. I can certainly appreciate the sentiment.
Old 06-11-2015, 01:25 PM   #209
43Supporter

Quote:
I did consider the possibility of asking for Harshman Memorial Arena, and renaming it.... "Harshman Memorial Arena"; but I figured everyone and his dog would be after that one, so I went with an arena/dueltrack no one would care a tinker's cuss about, and made *that* a "memorial" arena. (And since most people don't know who I am to start with, Joe Average is going to look at it and say "Hmm -- wonder who that guy was. Oh well -- game on.")

79er

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 06:00 AM   #210
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
The owner of that painting could do exactly what you describe. (And hell, it's an excellent idea. Makes me wonder how long until we see that happen.)

Next up: Federal Government sells sponsorship rights to monuments. Mount Rushmore, brought to you by T-Mobile!!!
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote