Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V. > Ogre Scenarios

Closed Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 02:38 PM   #1
Jen

Default Scenario Contest #2- Storming the Castle

The second scenario, Storming the Castle, is live on the Scenario page our website!

Remember, the scenarios have been placed in a random order, and the authors' names have been removed. Please, don't "out" anyone, even if you know who the author is.

We'll keep this thread open until July 20 for feedback. We are looking for playtesting feedback especially, although editorial feedback is welcome, too! Lord knows more sets of eyes are good.

I hope you enjoy the scenario!

Jen
Old 05-21-2015, 02:58 PM   #2
Dave Crowell

Default Re: Scenario Contest #2- Storming the Castle

Under Set-up Map Entry every option is listed as "2 factions" instead of 2, 3, 4, etc.

Doesn't affect game play as the entry locations are given for the respective number of factions.
Old 05-21-2015, 03:35 PM   #3
Jen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Crowell View Post
Under Set-up Map Entry every option is listed as "2 factions" instead of 2, 3, 4, etc.

Doesn't affect game play as the entry locations are given for the respective number of factions.
Thank you! The fix is in the making as we speak.

Jen
Old 05-21-2015, 04:56 PM   #4
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

I would place the definitions of N,S,E,W,NW,NE,SW,SE at the top of the "Map Entry & Escape" section rather than in the "Escape" subsection. The Escape subsection should be used to describe Escaping instead.

a grammar nitpick:
in a game with more than two factions (i.e.: F1, F2, F3, F4),
this should be e.g., not i.e.
Old 05-21-2015, 07:52 PM   #5
Buzzardo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranitePenguin View Post
a grammar nitpick:
in a game with more than two factions (i.e.: F1, F2, F3, F4),
this should be e.g., not i.e.
Better still, dispense with Latin altogether. That's the standard in technical writing across many companies (and in many style guides). It's fine for academic writing, but technical writing needs to communicate clearly to as many people as possible, and these Latin abbreviations work against that. (This very conversation demonstrates that people don't know what those abbreviations mean.) So use "for example" or "such as".

For reference, "e.g" is short for "exempli gratia"; you can see the Latin word for example in there, which is why "for example" is a good replacement for it. "i.e" is Latin for "id est", which is nicely replaced by "that is".

By the way, I love Latin. It was my foreign language in college. But that doesn't make it a good idea for maximum clarity in written explanations.

And yes, I can get very pedantic about this stuff. I used to collect style guides and have written several of them for various tech companies.

Want a random dungeon? How about some tables for that? How about a random encounter?
Old 05-22-2015, 03:28 AM   #6
poi

Lack of fluff makes me sad. Straight away I prefer #1.

Honk if Pluto is a planet
Old 05-22-2015, 04:26 AM   #7
sgbeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen View Post
although editorial feedback is welcome, too!
"other method (such as extra dice) to insure that the order"

i am 90% sure that should be ENsure, not INsure.
Old 05-22-2015, 04:07 PM   #8
Failure16

Quote:
Originally Posted by poi View Post
Lack of fluff makes me sad. Straight away I prefer #1.
Well, the original contest rules stated a limit on flavor text to 50 words or less. While I certainly do not begrudge the author of "Mark-O-POLO" from writing that intro (at 380 words), it is not proper to give that scenario the edge over another precisely because they flouted the entry requirements. In other words, you would be penalizing the author who did follow the requirements.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...n/posts/700552

Either way, I am glad the authors of these scenarios are getting their time in the sun (all of them, it looks like!) and hold no ill will against "Mark-O-POLO", but the entirety of the situation should be known to all.

Last edited by Failure16; 05-22-2015 at 04:09 PM. Reason: Clarity
Old 05-22-2015, 08:07 PM   #9
KevinR

If I'm reading Update #186 correctly, these fourteen scenarios are the winners. (The number submitted was more like 40-50, if memory serves.)

I don't know what SJG might be considering for the final PDFs, but if you have a good suggestion for expanding the flavor text (or trimming that of Mk-0 Polo) the worst that might happen is Jen ranting at me for creating more work.
Old 05-22-2015, 09:19 PM   #10
Buzzardo

I'm in favor of limited (but more than none) flavor text - just enough to give a little flavor to the scenario.

Want a random dungeon? How about some tables for that? How about a random encounter?
Closed Thread