Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 09-20-2012, 09:14 AM   #1
NeosMagus

Default Cthulhu Promo card question

The Cthulhu Promo cards that have "Promo" on the backs, for example "Monstrous Heritage", are they meant to be shuffled into the door deck? Just wondering because of the different back design.
NeosMagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:48 AM   #2
Putney

Default Re: Cthulhu Promo card question

No, these are ultra special cards you can start the game with, (unsure on this next part) or play at any time. I know that cult membership card is considered a promo back and can be played at any time, but I am unsure if that holds true for the others.

Actually looking around at details the cult membership card may be it own category.

Last edited by Putney; 09-20-2012 at 11:04 AM. Reason: new info
Putney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 11:16 AM   #3
NeosMagus

They seem really fun cards, especially the monstrous heritage card. I suppose I could deal it out to the players randomly (wouldn't be fair to keep them for myself)... but I figure it would be more fair to have them in the door deck and show up randomly. Specifically "Research Assistant", "Whim of the Elder Gods" and "Monstrous Heritage". The Cult Membership card can of course be used by anyone who decides to invite someone to the game...
NeosMagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 11:21 AM   #4
Mister Ed

I once won a game with a Monstrous Heritage card that someone who had brought a bunch of promos let me use for that game. Once everybody else had become a Cultist, I sold everything I owned for levels, and became one, too using Monstrous Heritage.
Mister Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 08:55 PM   #5
RL

The special rule for "Promo" back cards is at the end of the rules sheet for the Munchkin Cthulhu Cursed Demo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rules
There’s a new kind of card-back in this set. “Promo” back cards are not shuffled into the decks before the game begins. Instead, you may place one (face up) in front of you at the start of the game and use it when applicable, like bookmarks and other Munchkin promotional items. A player may use only one “Promo” back card during a game.
Old 09-21-2012, 11:54 PM   #6
Clipper

Wow, there's certainly something I didn't know. I'm going to add that to the Rules Checklist, I think. Munchkin Cthulhu is the only theme that has Promo backed cards, right?

Tags
monstrous heritage, promo cards