Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-09-2018, 04:46 PM   #1
Kfireblade

Default help with an attack turret ability

So, I had an idea for a character but i'm not sure how to implement it. Basically, I want them to be able to summon a pair of floating turrets that fire different Innate attacks. They won't be autonomous, just kinda extensions of the character.
Kfireblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 05:44 PM   #2
weby

Default Re: help with an attack turret ability

If they can be independently attacked by enemies you can model them as allies(summonable, minion, constantly available).
If not then they are likely innate attack(only with the extra attack)+extra attacks(one attack only).
Old 01-09-2018, 06:03 PM   #3
Kelly Pedersen

If they can just shoot Innate Attacks, then they probably are Innate Attacks. If, on the other hand, they can do more (provide cover, independently choose their own targets semi-tactically, move to trip or impede enemies, etc.), they're probably better built as Allies.

If they can only provide Innate Attacks, are they limited to firing from basically the character's position? Or can they move further away, to gain better angles to deal with cover or other situations?
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 06:05 PM   #4
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

In general you usually want make things that are essentially attacks as Innate Attack, rather than Allies. Enhancements like Persistent, Mobile, and Homing are helpful here.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 06:08 PM   #5
Anaraxes

Making the the turrets Allies also makes them autonomous. Good build if that's what you want, but it contradicts the OP. You could also buy a couple of levels of ATR and invent a "Turrets Only" modifier to make the turrets autonomous, but Ally is probably going to be easier and cheaper.

The simplest answer is just to shrug and say "fine, the IA comes from a floating turret". That's just a special effect, which are free, and you have to specify where an IA comes from anyway. So, I'd turn the question around, and ask the difference between these floating turrets and just firing a beam from your hand, or eye, or wherever?

If, for instance, the turrets are supposed to be able to hit targets behind the caster, you might want 360 Vision. If the turrets each get to attack in one turn when the caster picks an Attack Maneuver, you need Extra Attack. If they can hit different targets in that one turn, Enhanced Tracking. And so on. To finish out the build, we'd need a more detailed description of you (the OP) want the turrets to do. What makes them "turrets", in mechanical terms?
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 06:12 PM   #6
Ulzgoroth

You're going to need more than just Innate Attack to make a weapon that can operate while the character does something else.

(Which is actually one of the Hard Problems in GURPS, as best I can tell.)
Old 01-09-2018, 06:14 PM   #7
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
You're going to need more than just Innate Attack to make a weapon that can operate while the character does something else.

(Which is actually one of the Hard Problems in GURPS, as best I can tell.)
Any attack with Persistent, Mobile and Homing operates while the character does something else.
Old 01-09-2018, 06:19 PM   #8
Kfireblade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaraxes View Post
Making the the turrets Allies also makes them autonomous. Good build if that's what you want, but it contradicts the OP. You could also buy a couple of levels of ATR and invent a "Turrets Only" modifier to make the turrets autonomous, but Ally is probably going to be easier and cheaper.

The simplest answer is just to shrug and say "fine, the IA comes from a floating turret". That's just a special effect, which are free, and you have to specify where an IA comes from anyway. So, I'd turn the question around, and ask the difference between these floating turrets and just firing a beam from your hand, or eye, or wherever?

If, for instance, the turrets are supposed to be able to hit targets behind the caster, you might want 360 Vision. If the turrets each get to attack in one turn when the caster picks an Attack Maneuver, you need Extra Attack. If they can hit different targets in that one turn, Enhanced Tracking. And so on. To finish out the build, we'd need a more detailed description of you (the OP) want the turrets to do. What makes them "turrets", in mechanical terms?
Well, I definitely want them to be able to do everything you mentioned. In edition I want them to be able to move around to a degree.
Kfireblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 06:33 PM   #9
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

One issue with summonable Allies is that the assumption is that they might take time to get to you from wherever they are and also that if they are destroyed you lose the trait (or you can take the Conjured enhancement and have to make a reaction roll for them which in this case is probably nonsensical). They may also end up being too cheap, since Ally's low cost is based on the notion that another PC is both usually as good and also free. In this case that's not true, since you aren't actually likely to find a player for your turrets.

Last edited by sir_pudding; 01-09-2018 at 06:47 PM.
Old 01-09-2018, 06:38 PM   #10
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Any attack with Persistent, Mobile and Homing operates while the character does something else.
But it acts like a shot, not a weapon, doesn't it? Is there some way you could build a turret out of those?

Tags
innate attack