Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-04-2014, 10:57 AM   #1
Cybren

Default Striker and Extra Attack without multistrike

I'm building a cinematic martial artist with some kind of chi powers. There's an interaction I'm unsure about, however.
Two of the powers the character has are:
1) a chi forcefield modeled as DR 5 with the force field enhancement and an impaling striker with crushing and cutting as alternative attacks
2) Extra Attack 1

my questions come from: if I don't have multi-strike, each attack from extra attack has to be with a different limb or weapon. Given that my strikers are basically "my hands are protected by chi", should the character be able to make two striker attacks, one for each hand? Or, since striker is only one "weapon", it can only be used once during an extra attack set? If the latter i the case, how would that interact with Striker (limb)? Does the limb limitation assume only one limb benefits? Is there an invisible "you have two strikers" baked into the -20%? Am I over thinking this? Should I just count it as a special effect and ignore it for ease of play?
Cybren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 11:31 AM   #2
McAllister

Default Re: Striker and Extra Attack without multistrike

Slap the enhancement Dual [+10%] on your Striker, along with Limb [-20%], and you'll have a "both my arms are Strikers and I can use each of them with a dual-weapon attack" setup.
McAllister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 12:32 PM   #3
chandley

Dual is pretty eyebrow raising, when applied to the (already cheap) Striker advantage, especially with the "Limb" restriction.

Personally as a GM, I would make you buy one Striker (Limb -20%) per arm, leg, head, or other body part you wanted to have the advantages of a Striker with. Given Crushing Striker (Limb -20%; Chi -10%) is a whopping 4 points, I dont feel too bad about that ruling.

Dual was meant for Melee Attack limited Innate Attacks, which would be a fine Chi power if that is how you wanted to build it.
Old 12-04-2014, 01:52 PM   #4
McAllister

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandley View Post
Dual is pretty eyebrow raising, when applied to the (already cheap) Striker advantage, especially with the "Limb" restriction.

Dual was meant for Melee Attack limited Innate Attacks, which would be a fine Chi power if that is how you wanted to build it.
If I raised an eyebrow at applying Dual to Striker (Limb), I'd have to cut my face off and put it at the top of a foot-long pole so it could float over my head at the entirety of Innate Attacks.

That got weird. What I'm trying to say is that RAW will charge me ~9 points* to buy a 1d Crushing IA with Melee, ST-Based (unlimited) and Dual that lets me apply my swing crushing damage +1d at reach C, 1 with full DWA compatibility. Why in the world would I begrudge Striker compatibility with DWA?

*Calculation: 5 x (1+1+0.1) x (.8) = 8.4, assuming I'm correct from memory that Melee (C, 1; Cannot Parry) is -20% and you're using multiplicative modifiers. It's 10 points with additive modifiers.
Old 12-04-2014, 02:27 PM   #5
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Originally Posted by McAllister View Post
*Calculation: 5 x (1+1+0.1) x (.8) = 8.4, assuming I'm correct from memory that Melee (C, 1; Cannot Parry) is -20% and you're using multiplicative modifiers. It's 10 points with additive modifiers.
C,1 is -20%, and Cannot Parry is another -5%.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 04:36 PM   #6
Dinadon

Quote:
Originally Posted by McAllister View Post
If I raised an eyebrow at applying Dual to Striker (Limb), I'd have to cut my face off and put it at the top of a foot-long pole so it could float over my head at the entirety of Innate Attacks.

That got weird. What I'm trying to say is that RAW will charge me ~9 points* to buy a 1d Crushing IA with Melee, ST-Based (unlimited) and Dual that lets me apply my swing crushing damage +1d at reach C, 1 with full DWA compatibility. Why in the world would I begrudge Striker compatibility with DWA?
Conceptually a Striker is a single body part. The reason you would buy multiple Striker(Limb) is to avoid the penalties for striking unarmed. But you can already do dual attacks with your limbs (or, in fact, any striker). So what are you actually adding that you couldn't do before? Does it let another limb avoid the penalties for striking unarmed for that attack, does it grant the Striker damage bonus? (Okay that question may indicate I need to sleep...)

Anyway, your comparison is flawed since the ST of the character in question must be accounted for. Striker gives a per die bonus, so anyone who can do 3d from ST is much more consistent with a Striker, while someone who can do 4d is on average better. And someone going after Strikers/ST-Based (unlimited) without having a respectable ST score is odd.
Dinadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 08:37 PM   #7
McAllister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinadon View Post
your comparison is flawed since the ST of the character in question must be accounted for. Striker gives a per die bonus, so anyone who can do 3d from ST is much more consistent with a Striker, while someone who can do 4d is on average better. And someone going after Strikers/ST-Based (unlimited) without having a respectable ST score is odd.
You may need to sleep. ST-Based (Unlimited) allows you to switch from thrust crushing at +1/die to swing crushing, which is better for Strength values below 65, plus the 1d that the IA adds.