Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-08-2014, 01:25 PM   #1
Dark Archon

Default Changing Item Weight

How do I make an item, which have one weight in hands (on shoulders, in backpack, etc.) of one man, and another - for another man? Want to make sword, which only the true king can lift - all others won't even move it.
Dark Archon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 01:40 PM   #2
Mathulhu

Default Re: Changing Item Weight

Either as a plot device or a gadget without the 'can be stolen' quality.
Old 07-08-2014, 01:40 PM   #3
mlangsdorf

If you're the GM, you just say "that's how it works."

For a PC using the standard magic system, I think you can do some version of Hex + Limit + Password. Say the Password, pick up the item, put it someplace, wait for the Password to fade and the Hex to kick back in, and now only the rightful King (as defined by the Limit spell) can pick it up without knowing the Password.

Alternately, replace Hex with a weird variant of Hideaway that increases weight instead of diminishing it: no such spell exists that I know of, but it's fairly straightforward to imagine.

For a PC using RPM, you're looking at some kind of linked Lesser Sense Mind/Body (to identify the king), Greater Control/Create/Transform Matter (to alter the item weight), and Lesser Control Magic (to turn off the Matter effect when the King picked it up). Probably; RPM has lot of ways to solve a problem.

For a PC using a Power system or a Gadget... I really don't know. Need more definition of your objective and your power options.
Old 07-08-2014, 02:27 PM   #4
Dark Archon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlangsdorf View Post
If you're the GM, you just say "that's how it works."
Yeah, I know that. It's just interesting to me, how I can make this using rules.
Old 07-08-2014, 03:49 PM   #5
David Johnston2

A gadget without "can be stolen" will do the trick.
David Johnston2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 07:18 PM   #6
Dalzig

Would it be appropriate to reduce Can Be Stolen to sort of a Can Be Lost?

The King could still be separated from his sword, it's just that no one can move it from its present position. A combination of a disarm tactic and teleporting the King away would still deprive him of his sword. Completely removing the Can Be Stolen limitation sort of implies that the King will always have the sword available.
Dalzig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 07:58 PM   #7
Nereidalbel

You could have a weapon that hits itself with Affliction: Density Increase x1,000, Decreased Time 1/60, Fixed Duration. This gives you the effect of holding a blade that seems to weigh a few tons for a couple seconds, before lifting it like it's nothing.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 12:47 AM   #8
Dark Archon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereidalbel View Post
You could have a weapon that hits itself with Affliction: Density Increase x1,000, Decreased Time 1/60, Fixed Duration. This gives you the effect of holding a blade that seems to weigh a few tons for a couple seconds, before lifting it like it's nothing.
There is good core to this idea, but could it be modified so that weapon itself chooses duration for this affliction?
Old 07-09-2014, 07:18 AM   #9
Nereidalbel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Archon View Post
There is good core to this idea, but could it be modified so that weapon itself chooses duration for this affliction?
Make the weapon just smart enough to recognize a worth wielder, using Detect. 3 seconds after somebody worthy touches the blade, it drops from 3,000lbs to 3. If you're in a setting with people who have ridiculous ST scores, just up the Affliction to make the blade weigh 3,000,000lbs. Since there's no upper limit, it can be as heavy as you want.

You may want a Perk on the sword that keeps it from crushing things, though. Fun fact: sticking the blade into the floor in front of a door makes a very nice barricade.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 07:32 AM   #10
Agemegos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereidalbel View Post
If you're in a setting with people who have ridiculous ST scores, just up the Affliction to make the blade weigh 3,000,000lbs. Since there's no upper limit, it can be as heavy as you want.
Just don't make it so heavy that it bends or breaks under its own weight, or sinks into normal earth.

Decay is inherent in all composite things.
Nod head. Get treat.
Agemegos is online now   Reply With Quote