Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-22-2012, 06:47 PM   #21
Anaraxes

Default Re: Worminghall Map Scale

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
You seem to have left out Bologna sausage in your list, somehow.
Check the last line again :)

Sorry for the distraction. It's an interesting discussion.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 07:46 PM   #22
dcarson

Snagged the 1899 one for if I ever restart my Gurps 1889 campaign.
dcarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 02:49 AM   #23
Blind Mapmaker

You're welcome, dcarson. I hope I'll get around to making a version of that one that shows all of Europe. We just needed the eastern part for our book.
Blind Mapmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 03:27 AM   #24
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mateus View Post
Also remember that a map dont need to be 100% accurate (and normally dont were), specially regarding how wide a river or a road have to be.
Why map a town down to the location and size of each individual building anyway?

I don't see any value in that sufficient to justify the immense amount of work it requires. My preference is to divide towns and cities into quarters and subsections, and if necessary to name and map specific buildings, but never generic buildings like random people's homes.
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 03:29 AM   #25
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
I would personally be interested in seeing it, at any rate. I think it's quite clear that you are allowed to make a copy of the map, revise it, and annotate it for your own personal use; the blank map of Worminghall was put into the book for exactly that purpose. What rules apply to posting it online will require a ruling by a representative of Steve Jackson Games who is competent to speak to their legal rights. But if there's no objection, I hope you will make it available.
I hope SJ Games will accept it. The OP seems to want to put a fair amount of work into the project, so seeing the end product will be very interesting.
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 04:14 AM   #26
Blind Mapmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Knutsen View Post
Why map a town down to the location and size of each individual building anyway?

I don't see any value in that sufficient to justify the immense amount of work it requires. My preference is to divide towns and cities into quarters and subsections, and if necessary to name and map specific buildings, but never generic buildings like random people's homes.
Sure, that's how you'd usually do it. You can also just open up Campaign Cartographer draw a wall and a couple of roads and randomly generate the streets (City Designer is great for that). This is not so much a necessity (or even a good use of RPG prep time) as an outlet for my neglected drawing urge. I really like to draw, especially maps (who'd have thought?), and I seldom get focused enough to really finish something. This map has me really stoked and I'll gladly invest some time into it, especially now that there's a chance others will have something to gain from it. Mapping a whole town isn't something I have done yet and I saw a couple of tutorials that really made me want to try it.

Also, I see the town as major NPC in a Worminghall campaign and I couldn't quite get a living picture of that from the maps alone. The city comes alive in the prose text, but I can't really give large portions of that to the players to whet their appetite. Just having a map that shows the winding roads, the cramped confines in the high town, the more open low town, the squalid Tail and the abbey sitting above it all would be great.

As an aside, I'm not going to start this campaign before December and I likely won't know the PCs for the next month, so there's really no rush to get into detailed plot planning. I can start drawing the map just fine, though.
Blind Mapmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 04:27 AM   #27
Dammann

I think understand this sort of project. It can be hard to convey to players what you find so captivating about a setting through speech alone. Devoting more time than is strictly sensible to an art project that helps to get the feeling across is another avenue to communicate with your players. But on top of that, it is a way to enjoy the fictional world you value so much.
Dammann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 07:48 AM   #28
Mateus

Quote:

I think it si a matter of taste. I personally like to put the diferent buildins on my locations maps, but it really is not necessaty. But I do think that the majors buildings must be represented in some way.
Old 09-23-2012, 08:46 AM   #29
whswhs

Quote:

I don't have the time to do that in my own campaigns, and I'm not a skilled enough cartographer to do a good job. But I'm equally not a good enough linguist, or an obsessive enough one, to create Quenya and Sindarin. That doesn't prevent me from finding them cool and appreciating the efforts of people like Tolkien.

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2017, 10:20 AM   #30
hal

Just out of curiosity - was any mention made of the Contour heights?
hal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
map, worminghall