Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 04-06-2017, 04:48 PM   #211
Michael Thayne

Default Re: Meta: LOOKING FOR PLAYERS

Now looking for players for a Mars Attacks! game. See OOC thread for details.
Michael Thayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 10:54 PM   #212
zoncxs

Any interest in a martial arts game? Players would be new students in an academy.
zoncxs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 09:48 AM   #213
Fnord72

cinematic martial arts?
Fnord72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 04:20 PM   #214
hal

Hello Folks,
After seeing a few people indicate that they're looking for online games and the like, I've finally decided to take the plunge and offer a three slot game set in HARN WORLD.

Often times, the game world map for the world of HARN is available for free at RPGNOW.COM, but experience with the Harn World is not necessary to play in this campaign.

Today's date is 5/28/2017. Time is 6:02 Eastern Standard time (my time zone).

characters:

Preferred player characters would be Knights - whether Household knights (status 2) or Landed Knights (Status 3). If you'd prefer to play a Yeoman or a freeman warrior, or such, that's fine. Mages in HARN's kingdom of Kaldor, are usually a rare thing, and anyone who gets a reputation of practicing magic openly will usually become VERY unpopular very quickly. Mages who practice black magic will be tried by a tribunal of the Religious courts (there being three courts in the Kingdom of Kaldor) or will be quietly executed by the White Hand in an effort to avoid mages stirring up an anti-mage hysteria. It is TOUGH being a mage in Harn! Not for the faint of heart...

If I get three players who can agree to a given time slot, game play will be for four hours, twice a month, more if the players agree ahead of time, but every two weeks sounds about right for now.

If/when I get two players, the game will kick into gear. If I get three, then the positions will close. If the players agree, and the powers that be agree, I might start posting the logs in the play by post area, but that's not a given (Logs would be sanitized to keep hidden rolls hidden, hidden whispers hidden, etc).

Be prepared for a GRITTY style campaign instead of an over the top campaign. Wounds that get infected may turn lethal. Spoiled food might be served at poor inns, etc. In short? Expect a medieval style setting.

Prohibited:

Any innate damage capabilities, general powers (PSIONICS included), Total Disease Resistance, etc. As always, talk with the GM when setting up your character.

All players will be provided with a PDF of their characters via email, and will have their characters created via GURPS CHARACTER ASSISTANT (makes it easier to import characters into the FG2 interface).

Hal

Also, be aware, that no one exists in a vacuum. If you have a character, a family will be generated (Mother, Father, Siblings, Aunts, Uncles, etc) depending on the background.

While this campaign will not dwell on adult themes overly much (fade to black is the GM's friend!), the GM is an Adult, and will be looking for adult players.

Do not expect to use GURPS pricing for articles and goods after play starts. The coinage system of HARN is already set, and HARN MANOR will be used to help run villages (for landed Knights) or to generate villages that the players may travel to or through. Be prepared to buy plenty of perfume and other such odor masking commodities when going through Tashal or any of the other Cities of Harn. Also, only a fool rides or walks close to building walls - for upper story people tend to dump their "night soil" pots over the balconies...

ADDENDA: I've had one person approach me for a slot thus far, so that leaves two more slots available.

Last edited by hal; 05-28-2017 at 10:56 PM. Reason: Addenda
hal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 05:36 AM   #215
TheOneRonin

Hey folks. I've been running a Zombie Apoc game here on the forums for my local gaming group. You can find the IC thread here and the OOC thread here.

Recently, one of the players has had to drop due to lack of available time, so I have an open slot.

Unfortunately, I need the new player to take over an existing character. Some of the character's backstory has already been established and is a critical part of the game, so it really needs to stay "as is". Some other things are a little more malleable.

The character in question is Frank Dillinger, an ex con who grew up in a foster home with the other PCs.

You'll have some flexibility with Frank's backstory (but not too much), and I'll let you build him the way you want from the template options posted below.

Template Details:

Ex Con/Former Criminal

Attributes: ST 11 [10]; DX 12 [40]; IQ 12 [40]; HT 11 [10].

Secondary Characteristics: Damage 1d-1/1d+2; BL 29 lbs.; HP 11 [0]; Will 12 [0]; Per 12 [0]; FP 11 [0]; Basic Speed: 5.75 [0]; Basic Move 5 [0].

Advantages:
30 points chosen from among Danger Sense [15], Daredevil [15], Flexibility or Double-Jointed [5 or 15], High Manual Dexterity 1-4 [5/level], Night Vision [1/level], Perfect Balance [15], or Smooth Operator [15/level].

Disadvantages: Greed [-15*], Sense of Duty (Family) [-5]
• A further -20 points chosen from among Addiction [Varies], Callous [-5], Code of Honor (Pirate’s or “Stays Bought”) [-5], Compulsive Lying [-15], Cowardice [-10], Kleptomania [-15], Laziness [-10], Light Sleeper [-5], Overconfidence [-5], Selfish [-5], or Trickster [-15].

Primary Skills: Streetwise (A) IQ+3 [12]

• Select one 30 point package below relevant to your criminal pursuit, such as:

Burglar: Climbing (A) DX [2]; Forced Entry (E)DX+2 [4]; Lockpicking (A) IQ+3 [12]; Observation (A) Per+1 [4], Traps (A) IQ+1 [8].

Dealer: Fast-Talk (A) IQ+2 [8], Holdout (A) IQ+2 [8]; Pharmacy (Synthetic) (H) IQ-1 [2], and Merchant (A) IQ+3 [12].

Grifter: Acting and Fast-Talk, both (A) IQ+2 [8]; Body Language (A) Per+1 [4]; Observation (A) Per [2], and Sex Appeal (A) HT+2 [8].

Street Thief: Filch (A) DX+1 [4]; Pickpocket (H) DX+2 [12]; Shadowing (A) IQ+2 [8]; and Sleight of Hand (H) DX [4]. Add 2 to points to Stealth to raise it to DX+1.

Thug: +1 to ST [10], Unarmed Combat & Forced Entry, both (E) DX+2 [4]; Knife (E) DX+1 [2]; Intimidation (A) Will+1 [4], Guns (Pistol) (E) DX+1 [2] and One-Handed Unbalanced Melee Wpn (A) DX+1 [4].

Secondary Skills: Scrounging (E) Per+1 [2]; Running (A) HT [2]; and Stealth (A) DX [2].

Background Skills: A total of 8 points in Carousing (HT/E), Driving (any) (DX/A), Escape (DX/H), Fast-Draw (any) (DX/E), Gambling (IQ/A), Poisons (IQ/H), Urban Survival (Per/A), or any other “criminal” skills in this template.

Customization Points: 4 points to spend any way you choose.

Let me know if you are interested and if you have any questions about the game. Feel free to read through both threads...it will help you get a feel for the game.
TheOneRonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 08:48 PM   #216
Michael Thayne

Looking for players for a one-off scenario in the Astroduel setting from the recent Pyramid article.
Michael Thayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 09:21 AM   #217
Plane

Would anyone be interested in a "combat only" back and forth, more roll-playing than role-playing, where simple pregenerated templates are opposed together for testing out combat rules?

For example at http://www.themook.net/rpg/examples/ there are a variety of "Arthur Green" and "Zach Red" pregens already statted out (if Mook doesn't mind), or we could use one of the NPC examples in the books, and basically just duke it out until someone goes down.

I'm hoping something like this would be okay for a play-by-post format. I wouldn't be awarding character points or anything, it's just for the fun of testing out techniques, perhaps raising questions with different encounters, throwing in new rules from new books as they occur, etc.

If anyone's interested I could call it "A Challenger Appears" and it would be 1 on 1 initially, perhaps with the survivor being attacked by any new arrivals, in an unending battle where people are just teleported in.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 08:26 AM   #218
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
Would anyone be interested in a "combat only" back and forth, more roll-playing than role-playing, where simple pregenerated templates are opposed together for testing out combat rules?

For example at http://www.themook.net/rpg/examples/ there are a variety of "Arthur Green" and "Zach Red" pregens already statted out (if Mook doesn't mind), or we could use one of the NPC examples in the books, and basically just duke it out until someone goes down.

I'm hoping something like this would be okay for a play-by-post format. I wouldn't be awarding character points or anything, it's just for the fun of testing out techniques, perhaps raising questions with different encounters, throwing in new rules from new books as they occur, etc.

If anyone's interested I could call it "A Challenger Appears" and it would be 1 on 1 initially, perhaps with the survivor being attacked by any new arrivals, in an unending battle where people are just teleported in.

Yes, I'm very much interested in this sort of play at the moment. I've got a very similar game on rpol. You are welcome to join us there, or I'm willing to join a similar game here. I'm loathe to pull traffic away from this poor little forum, but its just such a great match.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 09:14 AM   #219
Plane

Neat, I've signed up for RPOL and sent a request to join, but I've started a thread here for now http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread...10#post2218410 starts 1 on 1 and each poster plays 1 char but if a 3rd player (or more) wants to join they can.

So there's some warning, I think I'll play it like Super Smash Brothers where the challenger appears on a floating cloud with a 3 second countdown, so there is some chance to respond. I would say we can make perception checks each second to notice them there, otherwise they get a surprise attack. "One Foe" (+1 to defense against one guy, penalty to perceives others) is an option I'll begin with.

Fantasy Grounds looks nice but I'd only use free virtual tabletop right now if I were to do live schedule gaming.

Last edited by Plane; 10-25-2018 at 09:29 AM.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 11:44 PM   #220
tHEhERETIC

With the kind permission of Archangel Beth, I can announce the link to the new game here! In Nomine for adult players, in my little world

This is a continuation, a part 3 if you will, of my two PbP's Mile Higher Club and The Pacific War. The format is slightly different and hopefully a little quicker, threads being discreet scenes that may eventually overlap. It is a Closed group only due to anticipated adult themes. Show a passing interest in roleplaying and I'll gladly add you. Mention this space and I'll add you without question.