Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 05-28-2009, 06:02 AM   #1
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Default [MA] Best dirty-fighting style for a callous weakling?

Greetings, all!

This is something I've been wondering for quite a while. I often play ST 8 skinny characters, yet want to keep them relevant for (unarmed) combat. Dizzy from the New Guy movie comes close to the idea. So, what would be the best style - either official or custom - that would capitalize on ruthlessness (Nutcracker comes to mind) and the other three attributes instead of ST? Preferably a Brawling-based one, to get results before the 25-point mark (and even that seems excessive for character point totals comparable to high school students, like in the movie). I assume that some level of Cinematic-ness is required for full effect, but I'm wondering what can be done without - and definitely without TbaM!

Thanks in advance to all who answer.
Old 05-28-2009, 06:27 AM   #2
giganerds

Default Re: [MA] Best dirty-fighting style for a callous weakling?

Combat Wrestling, focusing more in Brawling (with the target attacks techniques and eye-attacks of the style) and Judo (with diarming and/or arm lock). Wrestling is secondary, more usefull to get bonus in ST to break free (althought you can buy power grapple out of the style).
Old 05-28-2009, 08:19 AM   #3
Maz

Are you going to fight people with weapons?
Are you going to fight people with more skill or just more ST?

Are you looking for a specific style or just "a good build" ?

Are you able to use common "dirty fighting weapons, such as roll of quaters, steeltipped boots, sock o' brick, handfull of sand? And other improvised weapons? Or does it "have" to be unarmed.

How many points do you have to play around with? "less than 25 pts" ?

[edit] a pointy thing in the eye of the opponent can quickly end a fight (and the sight of the other). A callous person wouldn't care.

Last edited by Maz; 05-28-2009 at 08:29 AM.
Maz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 08:56 AM   #4
aesir23

Chi Na might be really cool, it's more about pain than injury IRL, but it can be very effective. Finger Locks don't rely on a lot of strength, but can be incapacitating and vicious. Add the street lens if you really thing you need brawling, but I don't think brawling's very effective for low ST characters, myself.
If the GM's feeling generous, you could even buy a perk to have access to pressure points in a realistic game, which would definitely give you an edge.

Alternately: Krav Maga, some brutally effective techniques like Eye Rake and stamp kick, plus the improvised weapons perk to get some extra damage out of your striking techniques.
aesir23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 09:00 AM   #5
aesir23

I designed this style for a fantasy campaign, it might work for you with a little tweaking.

Gutter Fight 5
This style began was invented by the legendary King of Rags, lord of the beggars. He spent a lifetime learning to survive on the streets, eventually he began to pass on the myriad of skills and dirty tricks he picked up along the way. The motto of gutter fight is, “stay alive by any means necessary”. This often means doing as much damage as you can before running away.
Skills: Brawling, Knife, Running, Wrestling
Techniques: Ear Clap, Elbow Strike, Evade, Eye Gauging, Eye Rake, Head Butt, Knee Strike, Reverse Grip (Knife), Targeted Attack (Knee Strike/Groin), Trip, Uppercut
Cinematic Skills: Blind Fighting
Cinematic Techniques: none
Perks: Drunken Fighting, Improvised Weapon (Brawling), Improvised Weapon (knife), Skill Adaptation (Evade defaults to wrestling)

Optional Traits: Acrobatics, Climbing, Disguise, Hold Out, Pick-Pocket, Urban Survival
Old 05-28-2009, 09:01 AM   #6
Maz

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesir23 View Post
Optional Traits: Acrobatics, Climbing, Disguise, Hold Out, Pick-Pocket, Urban Survival
Panhandling?
Maz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 10:15 AM   #7
Icelander

Take Running and increase Move. ST 8 is about typical for a slender woman and if you look at self-defence courses for women, the reputable ones stress conflict avoidance and escape over anything else.

Failing that, don't be unarmed. If the other guy is bigger, you use weapons, both improvised and otherwise. Be prepared to stab him with a hidden knife or even a pen. Think of your environment as being composed entirely of weapons or obstacles. A fire extinguisher can be a bludgeon, a fire hose can be a flail, a bottle is a club or a knife after it breaks, etc.

Take a few melee weapon skills and Improvised Weapon Perks. Have a decent Scrounging score and a point or two in Tactics.
Old 05-28-2009, 10:53 AM   #8
Anthony

This question is somewhat along the lines of "I made my character deliberately ineffective in unarmed combat, how do I make it effective anyway?" but you might consider Judo. Alternately, just take the 20 points you saved from ST 8 and crank them into raising your unarmed combat skill of choice, an extra 4-5 points of skill is a big deal.
Anthony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 11:12 AM   #9
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
This question is somewhat along the lines of "I made my character deliberately ineffective in unarmed combat, how do I make it effective anyway?" but you might consider Judo. Alternately, just take the 20 points you saved from ST 8 and crank them into raising your unarmed combat skill of choice, an extra 4-5 points of skill is a big deal.
It's no worse than a low-DX fighter (compensated by high skill), or a low-HT one (usually compensated by HP and/or, if available, DR).
Old 05-28-2009, 12:07 PM   #10
aesir23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz View Post
Panhandling?
Hmmm...funny that I missed that.

Tags
combat, dirty fighting, kromm explanation, martial arts, new guy, styles