Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Closed Thread

Old 10-25-2014, 12:34 PM   #1
swensont

Default History of Ogre

I'm working on a book on the history of Ogre. I'm 98% done, but there are some areas where I can't find any information and I'm hoping forum members can help.

1. Ogre/GEV 1990

This is the one edition that I don't have and I need some info about it.
- What edition were the rules?
- What was the counter composition?
- Was the maps the same for the 3rd edition of GEV and Ogre?
- What size and format are the rules?

2. Miniatures

When Grey Cat Casting ended the miniatures in 2010, when did SJG start up their own production?

3. 6th Edition

What was the total number of copies produced?

4. Hobby Japan edition of Ogre

There is very little info on this edition. There are only two pictures that I can find. Does anyone know any thing about this edition?

BTW, when done, I will post the book online for review. Once the review is done, I will work on layout (adding pictures) and then make the book available under a creative commons license.
Old 10-25-2014, 03:22 PM   #2
HeatDeath

Default Re: History of Ogre

They produced a total of 12000 sets of Designer"s Edition. That number was in a post either a forum post here, on BGG, or one of the Kickstarter.com comments.

I don't believe there has ever been a statement on the number of Pocket Editions produced.
Old 10-26-2014, 09:26 AM   #3
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by swensont View Post
1. Ogre/GEV 1990

This is the one edition that I don't have and I need some info about it.
- What edition were the rules?
- What was the counter composition?
- Was the maps the same for the 3rd edition of GEV and Ogre?
- What size and format are the rules?
I'm pretty sure I have that one. It was in a fairly flimsy cardstock box (probably 6"x9"). ISBN 1-55634-186-5
  1. What edition were the rules?
    Ogre Fourth Ed, G.E.V. Third Ed
  2. What was the counter composition?
    Unknown. I've long since punched it, but they are the black-and-white with back printed (e.g., disabled units).
  3. Was the maps the same for the 3rd edition of GEV and Ogre?
    The maps are a single piece of paper with both maps printed on it, side by side (Ogre map to the east of the G.E.V. Map). They are the same maps as the previous printing (the "standard" Denis Loubet Green and Orange). The paper dimension is 23 3/8" x 17 1/2". I think the intention was to cut the paper to separate the maps, but I never did.
  4. What size and format are the rules?
    The rules are printed in the same booklet; Ogre on one side, and G.E.V. printed on the flipped side. The booklet dimensions are 5 3/8" wide and 8 1/2" long

Quote:
2. Miniatures

When Grey Cat Casting ended the miniatures in 2010, when did SJG start up their own production?
I don't think SJG did their own production (i.e., they didn't produce anything new, just sold old stock). The new castings that were recently done were actually done by Grey Cat Casting.

Last edited by GranitePenguin; 10-26-2014 at 08:17 PM. Reason: cleanup
Old 10-26-2014, 05:48 PM   #4
KevinR

Quote:
Originally Posted by swensont View Post
BTW, when done, I will post the book online for review. Once the review is done, I will work on layout (adding pictures) and then make the book available under a creative commons license.
You probably already know this, but SJGames has a fairly extensive policy on use of any of their things online.

More importantly, there are several things related to Ogre that have registered trademarks. I am not a lawyer (or a SJGames person), but you probably won't be able to reconcile that with a creative commons license.
Old 10-26-2014, 10:00 PM   #5
swensont

Thanks for the feedback so far.

As for the Creative Commons License, note the Online Policey, Section III, Fair Use, where material can be used for "review or commentary", which a history book would fall under.

Of course, I want to be open about this, so I have contact SJ about the book, back in June, and so far I have not heard back.
Old 10-26-2014, 11:18 PM   #6
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Given that the original poster seems to be trying to do the right thing, and that we frown STRONGLY on "Internet lawyering," even from actual lawyers, I'm closing this thread.

To the original poster: SJ is an extremely busy person and summer is often the absolute worst time to try to contact him, between conventions and personal travel. It wouldn't hurt to send one brief followup letter.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Closed Thread

Tags
history, ogre