Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-24-2017, 09:11 AM   #21
Kelly Pedersen

Default Re: Dungeon Fantasy World for Infinite Worlds Setting

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelSammallahti View Post
How about a straight-up world-hopping DF campaign?
Honestly, I can see a straight-up I-Cops Dungeon Fantasy game - we know one of the things the Patrol often does is "rescue" historical treasures from locations we know are going to be destroyed (the Library of Alexandria, museums scheduled to burn down, etc.). I think it's not too far a jump for there to be regular missions to low-tech worlds to loot useful stuff from "illegitimate holders". You'd probably want to come up with a lens or something for each of the DF templates, to represent "Patrol training" and the advantages of being a world-jumper, but I think it would be doable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by warellis View Post
Isn't that more a pocket multiverse than a skerry though?
Not really different things, I think. If the "Outer planes" are reachable via parachronics, then they're timelines, and presumably connected to the more Earth-like timeline in some way, which is basically a skerry. If they're not timelines, then they're probably some part of the Astral or Iconic Planes.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 11:34 AM   #22
warellis

How would stuff like D&D's Prime Material Plane and various Elemental Planes and such be treated by Infinity, considering the fact a variety of places on the same Prime Material Plane (in Spelljammer at least) and, later on, and bunch of campaign settings in different universes, could essentially access and potentially crossover to each other through travel through there?
warellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 12:09 PM   #23
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Pedersen View Post
Honestly, I can see a straight-up I-Cops Dungeon Fantasy game - we know one of the things the Patrol often does is "rescue" historical treasures from locations we know are going to be destroyed (the Library of Alexandria, museums scheduled to burn down, etc.). I think it's not too far a jump for there to be regular missions to low-tech worlds to loot useful stuff from "illegitimate holders". You'd probably want to come up with a lens or something for each of the DF templates, to represent "Patrol training" and the advantages of being a world-jumper, but I think it would be doable.
Dungeon crawling with assault rifles and NVGs seems to be a significantly different kind of game to me.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 01:37 PM   #24
warellis

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Dungeon crawling with assault rifles and NVGs seems to be a significantly different kind of game to me.
In what sense? "Dungeon" is merely a term for a labyrinth to be explored. What makes having a specific style or material of weaponry so specific to a dungeon crawl?

Is there a big difference between a Bronze Age TL1 dungeon crawl vs a Digital Age TL8 dungeon crawl if you scale the enemies and environment to match? Heck, in regards to melee weapons, probably the only real difference is the materials or refinement of said weapons.
Old 11-24-2017, 02:26 PM   #25
LoneWolf23k

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelSammallahti View Post
How about a straight-up world-hopping DF campaign? The player characters are Cabal subcontractors hitching rides on Cabal missions in return for 20% of mundane and 50% of all magical treasure recovered. Occasionally they're hired for special scouting/retrieval/assassination missions.
The Collegio Januari and it's rival, the Order of St. Eustathius, would make for perfect sponsors for a cross-world Dungeon-Crawl campaign, as they're focused on going to new worlds to track down and recover a world's Ashalar (an item representing that world and infused with Raw Mana), either to harness the Mana or to "Save" that world from exploitation.
LoneWolf23k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 02:41 PM   #26
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
In what sense? "Dungeon" is merely a term for a labyrinth to be explored. What makes having a specific style or material of weaponry so specific to a dungeon crawl?

Is there a big difference between a Bronze Age TL1 dungeon crawl vs a Digital Age TL8 dungeon crawl if you scale the enemies and environment to match? Heck, in regards to melee weapons, probably the only real difference is the materials or refinement of said weapons.
Significant common tropes of FRPGs are tied closely to the mishmash of medieval and renaissance technology, culture and legendaria.

I have been working on a six-guns and sorcery game, and initially I thought I could just have the DF occupations with lenses, but that didn't work out well, the archetypes are significantly different.

Dungeon delving I-Cops are probably closer to templates for special operators than to the DF occupations with melee weapons swapped for Guns.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 03:00 PM   #27
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Isn't that more a pocket multiverse than a skerry though?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Pedersen View Post
Not really different things, I think. If the "Outer planes" are reachable via parachronics, then they're timelines, and presumably connected to the more Earth-like timeline in some way, which is basically a skerry. If they're not timelines, then they're probably some part of the Astral or Iconic Planes.
I think its more of a continuum than a single distinction. Some setups look much more like a skerry, with several connected worlds that are all "prime material", while others look more like a cosmology. But its all a matter of interpretation and what the rules for travel are. Infinity would probably insist on calling such a structure a skerry no matter what.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 03:00 PM   #28
warellis

Quote:
Significant common tropes of FRPGs are tied closely to the mishmash of medieval and renaissance technology, culture and legendaria.

I have been working on a six-guns and sorcery game, and initially I thought I could just have the DF occupations with lenses, but that didn't work out well, the archetypes are significantly different.
So do DF's designers have a very tight definition on what constitutes a "dungeon crawl?" Because that's pretty surprising since dungeon crawls boil down to "explore place, kill stuff that attacks you, and take loot."

I mean, the idea that it HAS to be a mishmash of "medieval and renaissance technology, culture and legendaria" is rather...limiting.

Last edited by warellis; 11-24-2017 at 07:08 PM.
Old 11-25-2017, 10:20 AM   #29
Kelly Pedersen

Quote:
If I were designing this, I'd try to significantly limit the Patrol characters' ability to use high-tech stuff, for whatever reason - they're trying to preserve the Secret, they have limited ammo, etc. I don't think this is too implausible for the Infinite Worlds setting - there's a reason the Infinity Patrol templates that have combat skills all include low-tech weapon skills as well as high-tech.

I'd probably try to set things up so that the Infinity Patrol characters could, once a session or so, break out a piece of high-tech gear to solve a problem, but not much more than that. The benefit of playing such a character among other dungeon-delvers would largely lie in access to low-tech gear with high-tech advantages (cheap Fine or Very Fine weapons, all the silk rope you can use, always having access to various "special orders" items, etc.).
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 12:10 PM   #30
AlexanderHowl

One thing that could cause the Patrol problems would be enchantments or rituals designed to cause explosives to immediately detonate when they get to an area (like a reinforced access tunnel between an inner and outer door). I do not know what would happen if the propellant in every bullet of a concealed handgun detonated simultaneously, but I doubt that it would be pleasant. It would be a logical way for magical societies to deal with the disruptions of higher TL, thus preserving the DF flavor of the setting, but it would cripple the Patrol until they figured a work around.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dungeon fantasy, infinite worlds