Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 10-20-2017, 11:51 PM   #1
Qoltar
Pike's Pique

Default "Orville" the role playing game - which rules system?

"The Orville" is a new science fiction adventure show on the Fox network in America.

If you were going to adapt as a role playing game setting for friends - would you use GURPS, Savage Worlds, or the TRAVELLER system?

In the show their faster than light drive is called a 'Quantum Drive' and its set in the early 25th century - mostly in 2419.
Wikipedia link through: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Orville

- Ed C.
You can't take the sky from me....

A vote for charity: http://s3.silent-tower.org/TheKlingonVotes/index.html
Qoltar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 12:03 AM   #2
sjard
Stick in the Mud

Default Re: "Orville" the role playing game - which rules system?

For my tastes, and only reading synopses of the show (it's not on streaming services that I'm aware of yet), I'd go with either GURPS or Cortex (classic or plus, either works).
MIB #1457
sjard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 01:29 AM   #3
MIB.6361

Location: Phoenix, Arizona, USA, Earth, Sol, Milky Way, Infinity.

GURPS.

If I were to run it, I'm certain I'd pillage the heck out of Traveller, Prime Directive, and Farscape which are the space games I own.

Also, I really like the show. I've called it "Low Protocol Star Trek" more than once. No real reason why you couldn't use any Star Trek RPG system to run it. The only real changes are story based, not mechanics based.

But yeah, GURPS.

Last edited by MIB.6361; 10-21-2017 at 01:31 AM. Reason: Aliens made me do it.
MIB.6361 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 09:16 AM   #4
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qoltar View Post
"The Orville" is a new science fiction adventure show on the Fox network in America.

If you were going to adapt as a role playing game setting for friends - would you use GURPS, Savage Worlds, or the TRAVELLER system?

That's an easy choice. I find Savage Worlds to use complex mechanics to yield low resolution results. I borrowed a friend's copy of Savage Rifts and found that I like the original better. I also believe none of the systems used by the Traveler game to be very good in their own right.

As for Gurps it's easier than straight Star Trek because of several technical choices. Their hand weapons seem to be what Gurps calls "Omni-blasters" with no overpowered "disintegrate" setting. No problematic transporters either. Call it TL11^ with replicators for at least some things.
Old 10-21-2017, 09:18 AM   #5
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qoltar View Post

In the show their faster than light drive is called a 'Quantum Drive' and its set in the early 25th century - mostly in 2419.
Wikipedia link through: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Orville

- Ed C.
I certainly wouldn't use Traveller. Too many different tech assumptions baked into the mix.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 12:48 PM   #6
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Lasers and Feelings

Last edited by sir_pudding; 10-22-2017 at 02:41 PM. Reason: Fixed link for reals
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 01:40 AM   #7
Daigoro

As the question is about The Orville instead of any other particular sci-fi show, you might have to consider whether to use some kind of "humour mechanic."

Not sure how that'd work exactly, but perhaps progress in your mission depends on how many puns, one-liners, quips and jokey banter you can pull off along the way.
And heaps of forum collabs, 30+ and counting!
Daigoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 08:55 AM   #8
robkelk
Untitled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daigoro View Post
As the question is about The Orville instead of any other particular sci-fi show, you might have to consider whether to use some kind of "humour mechanic."

Not sure how that'd work exactly, but perhaps progress in your mission depends on how many puns, one-liners, quips and jokey banter you can pull off along the way.
In GURPS, perhaps a house-rules version of Rapier Wit that gives bonuses to non-combat skills instead of doing damage?
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 09:04 AM   #9
Daigoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkelk View Post
In GURPS, perhaps a house-rules version of Rapier Wit that gives bonuses to non-combat skills instead of doing damage?
I was thinking perhaps to adapt Action's BAD rating, and have it go up or down with the humour level, and reset each scene.

Whatever the mechanic, I'm imagining it being used to play out the infiltration plot from last episode.
And heaps of forum collabs, 30+ and counting!
Daigoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 04:01 PM   #10
Qoltar
Pike's Pique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daigoro View Post

There is no need for a 'humor mechanic' - that facet was just over-hyped in the ads for the show. Now in 6th or 7th episode the humor is actually about the level you might find on "NCIS", "Castle", or even an old 'TOS' episode.

The last three or four episodes were straight up science fiction adventures - except the characters were acting like regular people not Utopian 'perfect people' of TNG (you know, your average group of gamers around the table...)

- Ed C.
You can't take the sky from me....

A vote for charity: http://s3.silent-tower.org/TheKlingonVotes/index.html
Qoltar is offline   Reply With Quote