Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 11-28-2017, 10:14 AM   #11
TheAmishStig

Default Re: Would You Support/Organize an OGRE Con?

Quote:
Originally Posted by offsides View Post
Here's an idea that may or may not work (especially since I can't really volunteer a lot of time to help with it right now): Rather than OGRECON being it's own convention, what if we were able to organize some sort of roving Ogre con group, which ensured a sizable Ogre presence at not just the major gaming conventions, but various smaller ones too. When I looked at the PAX Unplugged schedule, the two Ogre events both listed a max of 4 players - which is understandable given time restrictions, but severely limits access, especially to new players/wanderers. Another advantage to this idea is that it doesn't require the same people to be involved with everything. Instead, it's a network of volunteers (including MIB) who provide a "critical mass" of Ogre players and sets to make it possible to run both "teaching" Ogre games and more advanced scenarios throughout the entire con rather than smaller, discrete events.

I would definitely try to support this in my local area (Philly), especially once I get my kids more into it. I had them play their first game this weekend with me helping both sides - my daughter (7.5) really got into it even if she has a ways to go to really understand, and my son (5) was really into the idea, but couldn't handle it once the Ogre started taking hits and walked away. But I kinda expected it at his age, so we'll try again later. But I plan to try and play with her again as soon as we have time. :)
Keep me in the loop; I'm close enough (and to some degree, so is our CL) that I can help out with that as time and finances allow.
MIB Agent #0460
Ogre 134th Battalion

Lancaster, PA
Imgur: https://agent0460.imgur.com/
TheAmishStig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 11:14 AM   #12
selenite

I'm hoping to pull together an up to nine player event at North Texas RPG Con (June 2018, DFW).
selenite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 02:36 PM   #13
Misplaced Buckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed View Post
All, Steve will be at Origins in June _and_ we will be running Ogre events. I suggest attending Origins in 2018 to get you "play lots of Ogre!" fix.
I'll be at Origins if you want to football it around. Have run some one day events at different cons in MI. Have a contact that does nothing but organize events like this. Last game con was MOO GOO GAI CON where for the price of admission he ran a chinese buffet for all attendees.
Misplaced Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 08:55 PM   #14
Desert Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by selenite View Post
I'm hoping to pull together an up to nine player event at North Texas RPG Con (June 2018, DFW).
Is this going to be a game on the convention schedule that attendees can register to play? I asked about running my Monopolis game at NTRPG, but they would not let me put it on the schedule. Instead, they said I could set up on one of the open gaming tables. Sorry, but I'm not gonna lug all my stuff there if I don't have a spot on the schedule.
Old 11-28-2017, 09:11 PM   #15
selenite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Scribe View Post
Is this going to be a game on the convention schedule that attendees can register to play?
TBD, alas. The Royal Dragoon Guards (Honor Harrington fan club chapter) are sponsoring a room at the con. I'm hoping to have the game sponsored by them as one of their table slots. But it's still too early to lock the details down.
selenite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 09:26 PM   #16
GranitePenguin
Ogre Line Editor

I really wish I was still 18 and at OSU, or at least still lived in Cleveland. I'm just a tad too far to make it easy to get there :-(
Old 11-28-2017, 10:36 PM   #17
CON_Troll

@Offsides: I really like your idea! Please keep me in mind for this as well. (I'll be available to help people with events in August.)

Should we keep discussing this idea here? Or would you prefer to start another thread?
Old 11-28-2017, 10:38 PM   #18
CON_Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jackson View Post
I remember the Macrotures :)
I've still got photos of both Macrotures AND your Lego Pirate game at Dragoncon! Good times.
Old 11-29-2017, 07:13 AM   #19
Desert Scribe

I would be happy if there were more organized play events. I missed the last one because I was out of town.
Old 11-29-2017, 09:02 AM   #20
schoon

I agree that getting events scheduled regularly at established cons is the way to go.

As much as I love OGRE, I don't think there are currently enough players to support a con specifically devoted to it.

I would love to see OGRE Ambassadors - sanctioned folks to run events and tourneys, perhaps even with modest prize support (such as a t-shirt for the winner).
schoon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
convention, ogre 6e, ogre miniatures