Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-11-2011, 03:18 PM   #11
ClayDowling

Default Re: Powerstone Program

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alden_Loveshade View Post
Save the equation for the powerstone cost in a word processing program: ((10 * P^2 + 40 * P)/(53/54)^P) + (20 * P)
As a programmer, this makes me cry. I've written code and provided an osx binary to calculate the value from the provided formula:

http://www.obrienscafe.com/node/4969
Old 03-11-2011, 03:57 PM   #12
BaHalus

How I use this last thing?
BaHalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 03:59 PM   #13
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClayDowling View Post
As a programmer, this makes me cry. I've written code and provided an osx binary to calculate the value from the provided formula:

Um. Well, the provided formula is wrong, which might be why some people go through complicated calculations. That formula (which ignores quirks) should be (60*p+10*p^2) *(54/53)^p, since it's improperly pricing casting cost as written, and can in fact be entered into a spreadsheet in that form if you replace p with the name of the cell containing p.

Last edited by Anthony; 03-11-2011 at 04:02 PM.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 04:10 PM   #14
BaHalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Um. Well, the provided formula is wrong, which might be why some people go through complicated calculations. That formula (which ignores quirks) should be (60*p+10*p^2) *(54/53)^p, since it's improperly pricing casting cost as written, and can in fact be entered into a spreadsheet in that form if you replace p with the name of the cell containing p.
The first thing I thought. Using Excel to write the formula, not a notepad or something only for text.
BaHalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 04:15 PM   #15
ClayDowling

Actually I just updated the source code on my webpage, and it pulls the formula directly from the Magic text in the sidebar on page 20. I also calculated several trial values and they are very close to those listed (I suspect some rounding error in the text).
Old 03-11-2011, 04:19 PM   #16
Anthony

Quote:
Actually I just updated the source code on my webpage, and it pulls the formula directly from the Magic text in the sidebar on page 20.
I didn't say that you inaccurately transcribed Magic; I said that your formula was wrong. The formula in Magic is also wrong.
Old 03-12-2011, 10:50 AM   #17
Alden Loveshade

Quote:

Ah, you're sensitive. I'm one of those weird people who wrote his first, extremely simple, program before he ever used a computer (it had to do with dice), and designed my first webpage in advanced HTML without ever reading any instructions or asking anyone for help (I learned how to use the source function and went from there). So a lot of my stuff will look really, really crappy to someone who knows how to do it right; I don't care about elegance, just if it works.

And if that made you cry...when I ran a computer lab at an elementary school, we had no budget to hire someone to repair them. So I repaired one computer with masking tape and another with a paper clip. They were still working three years later. :-P
Alden Loveshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 11:58 AM   #18
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Incidentally, humorous (due to complete wrongness) quote from 4e:
it not wrong, because they can only be used once in a blue moon due to recharge times. they are only useful for very special project that can be rare to take on.
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 03:17 PM   #19
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguebfl View Post
it not wrong, because they can only be used once in a blue moon due to recharge times.
Without powerstones, a 100 energy enchantment costs $3,300. With powerstones, it costs $60 plus the use of 6 7-point powerstones ($4,800 each, so $28,800). If you do ten enchantments of that size, the slow and sure method costs $33,000 (and 1,000 mage-days, or about 8 months for a circle of 6) the quick and dirty method costs $29,400 (and 2 months letting the stones recharge). This is ignoring powerstones on cheap materials, which wind up being cheaper than standard powerstones at any size larger than 2 points.
Old 03-12-2011, 03:55 PM   #20
roguebfl
Dog of Lysdexics

Quote:
Without powerstones, a 100 energy enchantment costs $3,300. With powerstones, it costs $60 plus the use of 6 7-point powerstones ($4,800 each, so $28,800). If you do ten enchantments of that size, the slow and sure method costs $33,000 (and 1,000 mage-days, or about 8 months for a circle of 6) the quick and dirty method costs $29,400 (and 2 months letting the stones recharge). This is ignoring powerstones on cheap materials, which wind up being cheaper than standard powerstones at any size larger than 2 points.
Umm you do know you can only use 1 stone mage right?
roguebfl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, gurps, powerstone, powerstones, program