Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-20-2017, 07:19 PM   #1
PK

Default Pyramid #3/110: Deep Space

Space . . . it's like, so deep . . .
Have you ever just, you know,
Like, thought about it?
— Space Dude
"Space: the final frontier" doesn't really make much sense when you think about it. An area of space might be a frontier, but space itself is infinite. We could spend a billion years exploring it, and there'd still be things we hadn't seen -- mysteries out there waiting to be found. So won't you come take a journey into Pyramid #3/110: Deep Space?
  • While many settings tie magic to the "life force" of a planet, why can't the opposite be true? Maybe we can only work spells in the void of Aethyric Space. This new ruleset-plus-setting, spawned from the surprise pairing of C. R. Rice and J. Edward Tremlett, presents a universe where Ritual Path Magic casters can draw upon the fundamental mana of star-life to power spaceships, work incredible miracles on their home planet, and more.

• Not every location in space is designed for long-term campaigning. Sometimes you just need a unique Bazaar that offers the kind of things no other place can. Nathan Meluvor presents this strange conglomeration of diverse communities, each offering its own plot hooks and treasures yet all tied into the same weird environment.

• Now if you really want some profit, head out and salvage some Space Wrecks. Just be careful -- sometimes you end up with more than you bargained for. In this month's Eidetic Memory, David Pulver details four different "lost ships," including both GURPS Spaceships statistics and a compelling reason to go looking for each one.

• Of course, some of those wrecks may have succumbed to Space Pirates. Adrian Tymes explores the thematic ties between sea raiders and spacers, capped with a setting and a couple of GURPS Spaceships vehicles specifically designed to allow for ethical "pirate" PCs caught up in a whirlwind of grand adventure.

• It's unlikely that everything out there will be human. And while some games are fine with "humans in rubber suits," sometimes it's better for your new races to have An Alien Way of Thinking. Rory Fansler suggests a few new traits to add an "inhuman" touch to the alien-building advice from GURPS Space.

• And sensors are picking up our Random Thought Table, which asks the party to push its luck rather than just sitting on their laurels.

Store Link: http://www.warehouse23.com/products/SJG37-2710
Preview PDF: http://www.warehouse23.com/media/SJG37-2710_preview.pdf

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 07:28 PM   #2
Refplace

Default Re: Pyramid #3/110: Deep Space

A day early? You guys starting Christmas break? Have an awesome one
Aytheric Space is the only article I read so far and I really liked it. Good use of existing material with GURPS Spaceships and RPM. The background is great and what I would expect from Tramlett. This deserves a book treatment as a new GURPS setting.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries

Last edited by Refplace; 12-20-2017 at 07:31 PM.
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 11:10 PM   #3
doctorevilbrain

Could you tell me what you think of it? The preview is the shortest I've ever read.It gives so little information.
doctorevilbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 12:35 AM   #4
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorevilbrain View Post
Could you tell me what you think of it? The preview is the shortest I've ever read.It gives so little information.
Okie doke

• Aethyric Space. 4 pages of setting fluff and 4 oages of rules that include a template and some lenses and sats for Spaceships.
    If you like Spell Jammer or other High Fantasy in Space there is a lot here to work with. I like the setting and could see running a game in it. That is unusual for me so a compliment to the setting.
    I will likely use some of this stuff to retool my magitech civilization in the Chalice World and may adapt some of it for travel between turtles.
    Note some of the additional material for RPM makes for highly cinematic Adepts.

It was a fun read, as most of Tramlets stuff is and the rules by Christoper Rice are solid as always.
  • Bazaar A small moon sized space station as a location for adventure and trade. It includes several city states and adventure hooks.
  • Space Wrecks Starts off with a brief description of various salvage options. Several interesting wrecks with good background story that make hem more interesting for an adventure than simple salvage.
  • Space Pirates. A good mix of discussion on piracy, a setting to support that activity, a brief overview of advantages and skils and finally a good ship write-up.
  • An Alien Way of Thinking A brief discussion on how different races may think based on inherent abilities. Includes some new advantages and enhancements and ends up with some stuff to add to a game with telepathy.
    After all, what Space Opera doesn't have Telepathy?
  • Random Thought Table,
    A good article on pressing your luck and player choices.
    Side note: Someone really likes their wordplay. I had to read a section head twice as I inserted the wrong words the first time and was confused.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries

Last edited by Refplace; 12-21-2017 at 02:33 AM.
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 01:16 AM   #5
Winged Cat

I could see most of this issue combined into a single setting.

Start with the Expanse from Space Pirates. Interstellar space is not touched on much there; it is possible that humanity's initial FTL expansion - even colonization - is completely unaware of the aethyr, blowing right through Oort clouds without noticing anything unusual (for the few ships that travel the slow way, not using Gates). If you can not use magic or sense mana, and nothing near you does either, do you even know that magic exists?

But eventually, someone finds out. Perhaps humanity's first contact with aliens is when they stumble across the Bazaar, and knowledge of the aethyr eventually comes back. That could become humanity's advantage: relatively high NZ-adapted technology, even ships that need not use the aethyr-lines (and very fast transportation between places they have had a decade or two to set up), in exchange for primitive magic.

And of course there are space wrecks strewn throughout space.
Winged Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 06:38 AM   #6
JMason

No, no, no! It should be Deeeeeeeeeeep Spaaaaaaaace.

... I had to do it.
Old 12-21-2017, 07:23 AM   #7
PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorevilbrain View Post
Sorry to hear that, and I appreciate your thoughts. And thanks to Rory for the detailed response with his opinions!

As a peek behind the curtain, we've always done a "intro stuff + three pages + outro" preview for Pyramid, as that gives a sample of anywhere from half to most of the articles. Considering that some articles only run 2-3 pages, giving a multi-page look at each article might be excessive. That's why I go into more detail in my announcement posts (here) for Pyramid issues than for any other product.

Old 12-21-2017, 04:39 PM   #8
J. Edward Tremlett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post

It was a fun read, as most of Tramlets stuff is and the rules by Christoper Rice are solid as always.
Thanks! Glad it was appreciated.

This turned out to be a real fortuitous outing for Christopher and I. He had a great idea about doing a magic-based space system, and I had a setting in dire need of something more than the standard space opera. Hopefully it proves at least inspirational to most!
It is a terrible thing to fall into the hands of the Living God (Heb. 10:31)

"Or the light that never, never warms" (Boc. 6:55)

Read SPYGOD. Behold my Linked In

Buy my (SJ Games) stuff.
J. Edward Tremlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 03:58 PM   #9
PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Edward Tremlett View Post
Thanks! Glad it was appreciated.

This turned out to be a real fortuitous outing for Christopher and I. He had a great idea about doing a magic-based space system, and I had a setting in dire need of something more than the standard space opera. Hopefully it proves at least inspirational to most!
It's definitely one of the more unique settings that I've seen -- a very nifty intersection of sci-fi and science-fantasy.

Old 12-22-2017, 04:08 PM   #10
David L Pulver
AlienAbductee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Okie doke
[*] Space Wrecks Starts off with a brief description of various salvage options. Several interesting wrecks with good background story that make hem more interesting for an adventure than simple salvage.
[/LIST]
Plus, Elvis!