Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-02-2013, 07:29 AM   #1
Jürgen Hubert

Default The Definite d20/D&D Conversion thread

Looking at the GURPS Repository, there are far too few d20/D&D Conversions up there. This needs to change!

Therefore, I will from time to time post d20/D&D conversions into this thread - races, monsters, magical traditions, or anything else I find worthy of conversion. This is intended for open discussion, and after the discussion has concluded I will add the material to the GURPS Repository. The main focus will be on material in the d20 SRD, but anything ever published for the various D&D or d20 iterations is fair game.

Feel free to add your own contributions - just tell us where you originally found the material you converted (especially if it isn't in the d20 SRD). And don't feel limited to adding your material to this thread, either - the GURPS Repository could always use more contributors as well...
Old 07-02-2013, 07:34 AM   #2
Jürgen Hubert

Default Re: The Definite d20/D&D Conversion thread

Let's start with the races. Here are the templates I came up with for my old Urbis conversion (which was pretty much "standard d20" anyway):

Dwarves (59 points)

Attribute Modifiers: HT +1 [10].
Secondary Characteristic Modifiers: Basic Move -1 [-5], HP +1 [2].
Advantages: Dark Vision [25]; Dwarf Talent 1 (Axe/Mace, any attack rolls versus orcs, half-orcs and goblinoids, and any Armoury, Engineer, Merchant and Perception-based rolls involving stone or metal) [5], Extended Lifespan 4 [8], Magic Resistance 2 (Improved, +150%) [10], Resistant (Poison, +3 to HT) [3].
Racially Learned Skills: Immoveable Stance (H) DX-2 [1].

Elves (58 points)

Attribute Modifiers: DX +1 [20], HT -1 [-10].
Secondary Characteristic Modifiers: HP -1 [-2], Per +2 [10].
Advantages: Elf Talent 1 (Bow, Broadsword, Rapier) [5], Extended Lifespan 5 [10], Less Sleep 4 [8], Magery 0 [5], Night Vision 7 [7], Resistant (Immunity to supernatural “sleep” effects) [5].

Gnomes (38 points)

Attribute Modifiers: ST -1 [-10], HT +1 [10].
Secondary Characteristic Modifiers: Basic Move -1 [-5], HP +2 [4].
Advantages: Acute Hearing +2 [4], Acute Smell/Taste +2 [4], Extended Lifespan 3 [6], Gnome Talent 1 (Alchemy, Any attack rolls versus kobolds and goblinoids, illusion spells) [10], Night Vision 7 [7], Resistant (Illusions, +3) [3], Speak With Animals (burrowing creatures only -60%, 3 Uses/day -20%) [5].
Features: SM -1.

Half-Elves (24 points)

Secondary Characteristic Modifiers: Per +1 [5]
Advantages: Extended Lifespan 1 [2], Half-Elf Talent 1 (Diplomacy, Fast-Talk, Search, Streetwise) [5], Night Vision 7 [7], Resistant (Immunity to supernatural “sleep” effects) [5].

Half-Orcs (10 points)

Attribute Modifiers: ST +1 [10], IQ -1 [-20]
Advantages: Dark Vision [25]
Disadvantages: Social Stigma (Second-Class Citizen) [-5].

Halflings (36 points)

Attribute Modifiers: ST -1 [-10], DX +1 [20]
Secondary Characteristic Modifiers: Basic Move -1 [-5]
Advantages: Acute Hearing +2 [4], Enhanced Dodge [15], Extended Lifespan 1 [2], Halfling Talent 1 (Acrobatics, Climbing, Jumping, Sling, Stealth, Throwing, All Thrown Weapons) [10].
Features: SM -1

Hobgoblins (65 points)

Attribute Modifiers: DX +1 [20], HT +1 [10]
Advantages: Dark Vision [25], Silence 2 [10]

Any comments on those?
Old 07-02-2013, 09:39 AM   #3
gilbertocarlos

I think instead of talent it should be given 1 point on each skill.
The reason elves know how to use bow and sword is because they're trained while young.
The reason dwarves know how to swing an axe is experience with it.
gilbertocarlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 11:53 AM   #4
Anaraxes

If it's a D&D conversion, a +1 Talent is appropriate. Elves get a +1 to hit with a bow; whether they're first level fighters or 20th, they're still +1 better than their human equivalent.

The unavoidable cultural training -- a required point in a skill -- is a reasonable way to build elves in GURPS. It's just not as D&D-like.

(And if I were going that route, I wouldn't have many, if any, "racial skills". Not _all_ elves are going to be bow experts, even if they're common in the population. A GURPS character is an individual, not an archetype of a species. This is a case for It Costs What It Costs. Growing up hunting or patrolling the elf-forest is a perfectly good excuse for spending some points in Bow on your character sheet, if that's what you want, but all characters have background reasons for the skills they have. The skills don't get cheaper or have free points because you have an appropriate background. If so, you're in 1e Unusual Background territory.)
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 11:58 AM   #5
Anthony

Why are you giving them night vision 7? It seems like an odd number. Mechanically, low-light vision doubles vision range in low light conditions, which is a +2, or if you're using the way DF handles light (a zone of no penalty, surrounded by a zone at -3) you could give a +3 to have no penalty in the outer zone.
Anthony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 12:02 PM   #6
Rasputin

I have about 150 critters from D&D 3.5e, the Tome of Horrors, and GURPS Fantasy Bestiary that I've been just too darn lazy to put up. Would that help?

My GURPS blog.
Rasputin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 12:20 PM   #7
Raekai
World's Worst Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
I have about 150 critters from D&D 3.5e, the Tome of Horrors, and GURPS Fantasy Bestiary that I've been just too darn lazy to put up. Would that help?
If you did that, then I might fall in love with you... Especially if you happen to put them up in DF-style templates.
Raekai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 12:53 PM   #8
Laughing Man

I am very interested in this, since I am starting my GURPS Pathfinder campaign in a week, which pretty much is D&D.

Just a little question: Is the goal to convert 1:1? Even the silly stuff, like racial skills? They really don't make sense, if you think about them for a few minutes. They are very D&D-esque. If I were to make a GURPS conversion I would make those racial templates as thin as possible and only include the stuff that makes sense.

For example:
Elves [47]
Attribute Modifiers[10]: DX +1 [20], HT -1[-10]
Secondary Characteristic Modifiers[10]: Per +2 [10]
Advantages[25]: Extended Lifespan 5 [5], Less Sleep 4 [8], Magery 0 [5], Night Vision 4 [4], Resistant (Immunity to supernatural “sleep” effects) [5]

No racial skills and also I am using PK's house rules for flavor traits. Makes the template much thinner and also it makes more sense, at least to me. Details like Night vision are arguable, but I wouldn't go too high. A too high Night Vision actually makes the game just boring, not cool or anything. Takes the flavor out of many cool situations.

Later this night I will post templates for all races, just to have those thinner options for people who don't like big templates.

Last edited by Laughing Man; 07-02-2013 at 01:42 PM.
Laughing Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 02:15 PM   #9
Jürgen Hubert

Quote:
Feel free to send them to me, and I will see if I can put them up at the GURPS Repository.

My email is jhubert ät gmx döt de.
Old 07-02-2013, 02:17 PM   #10
Dammann

Quote:
I would be willing to help put some of those up. If you have the stats in some form, it is just a matter of formatting them, right? If you're amenable, let's make this happen.

edit: oh, you can send them to david-dot-ammann-at-gmail-dot-com (if Jürgen Hubert doesn't wish to do all 150)

Last edited by Dammann; 07-02-2013 at 02:22 PM.
Dammann is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
conversion, d&d to gurps, d20 conversion, gurps repository